Habituation Concerns

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wolfears, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I developed this sleep robbing, life destroying condition about 2 months ago from possible long term noise exposure...

I keep hearing the word "habituation" quite often, but then I'm reading all these depressing posts from people whom suffered this brutal torture for 10+ years and it doesn't sound like they have habituated at all.

I'm absolutely terrified that I will lose my job and everything I worked for if I can't sleep...I'm a seasonal worker so I still have about 1-2 months at the most, before they call me back in.

Can someone habituate in couple months?

My tinnitus is quite intrusive as it consists of whistling/ringing and bunch of white noise hissing....to be honest I'm not even sure...feels like I have a firestorm in my head.
      Masking is not an option, (by masking I mean setting the sound much lower than tinnitus), since the tinnitus just gets louder as if it feels threatened or something.

I wear noise cancelling earmuffs most of the day...I don't think I have any hyperacusis because noise does not cause me pain like others that I have read about.

But noise will make my tinnitus louder so that's why I'm trying to keep it down as much as I can.
      Can anyone offer any encouraging habituation stories?

• Like Like x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Someone asking for habituation stories? Now that's rare lol. You can find some in our success stories forum if you want.

supply.png

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you...I have confess this forum is like a double edged sword.
      Some posts (or the reply's to them) will get me completely depressed, but others offer hope.
      The problem is you never know until you read it first.

Right now I'm in a spot, where I would gladly trade with guy who has no arms and no legs (and I'm not exaggerating just to make a point), because in my opinion Tinnitus is probably the most evil, horrifying condition in existence...at least the guy in a wheelchair can sleep in peace.

Just to clarify further, sleeping is probably my only concern right now because not sleeping translates into the body and mind falling apart...I can handle all the noise during the day just fine.
      I'm not too big on using prescription meds, as I dont want to get hooked on any of them.
      I know this is probably a choice between the devil and the satan, but could someone maybe offer me info on sleeping pills that are considered not as horrible and not as addictive.
      Thank you guys for any info.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      For a newcomer to tinnitus it's getting your ears checked and a referral to ENT and help for any problems tinnitus is causing you.
      Sleeping and emotional support are the two you need as you learn about tinnitus and how it impacts on your day in the first few weeks etc.
      Keep posting for support.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 1
    5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      This forum is not representative of typical people who have had tinnitus for any length of time. Most people habituate, from what I understand the percentage is well over 90%, but there those who don't and some of them post online about their problems. There are also people who are very negative, and out to claim that tinnitus is unbearable for everybody who has it. The liklihood that you will habituate and adjust to timnitus is overwhelmingly high. Just go back in time on the forums here, and you'll notice there's many members who are no longer active, which I am certain is because they habituated, and/or their tinnitus got better.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      @Wolfears --please don't despair. The onset of tinnitus is the worst as it is so alien to us--it keeps us awake and it interferes with life. We feel that we may never be normal but it gets a lot better. I've had chronic moderate to severe tinnitus for 4 1/2 years and I have habituated. I even had to re-habituate after a major health issue that required ototoxic drugs. There is hope. Read my old posts and see the progress I made. Read the success stories. Try to live your life. Go out with friends and do things that make you happy. Get an examination from an ENT. Go to your primary care doctor. There are medicines that can help you sleep and help with anxiety in the short term. Do not give up hope. I have worked through this, gone on vacation, had cancer...and I'm still standing--you can get through this.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Wolfears

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the kind words my friend.
      Yes right now I do feel that life is probably over, but I will fight this the best I can.

8. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      The question to ask oursekves is. why would someone want to do that?

Fortunately most people can spot the ‘noise’ on forums (no pun intended). What worries me is the effect it has on newbies who are in a very vulnerable position.

The bottom line is that support forums like this should never replace support from the medical and psychological profession. Most of the help I got 6 years ago was from face to face counselling.

Forums are still a useful resource but rely on self moderation and a pinch of salt.

My experience of forums in general is that you always get a few people who use a forum to boost their ego or get a reaction. I dare say there may be also be people out there who have an interest in maintaining the belief that a ‘magic pill’ is the only answer.

Sure a magic pill would be nice, but seeing as such a high percentage do move on without one. why criticise nature’s healing and coping methods which have been shown to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1