Habituation Is Real → My Best Advice to New Tinnitus Sufferers

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Javimaltes, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Javimaltes
      Innocent

Javimaltes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      It really does get better.

I'm from northern Spain, so I’m a pretty skeptical person. In the beginning my suffering was huge, unbelievably huge. But now in my 10th or 11th month with tinnitus, I can say that I’m almost totally habituated. What does that mean? I almost don’t notice it, despite hearing it, I can enjoy my favorite hobby, which is reading, I can study and work. So, things are basically the same as before tinnitus. It took me like between 7 to 9 months to get to this point.

To the question if I have bad days, I have to say that normally I have bad moments that last between minutes and a few hours once every three or four weeks. What do I do to cope with them? I put on some background sounds and go on with my life.

Best advice I can give to new sufferers: don’t do research, use sound therapy, search for psychological help and protect your ears.

I hope this message of hope helps new sufferers. It gets much, much, much better, almost to the point of recovering 95 % of your previous comfort. You will still have some moments of discomfort, but you will quickly adapt to them and learn to use the tools to cope with them.

Best regards to all.

• Optimistic x 7
      • Like x 6
      • Agree x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Hug x 1
    2. lanterns&coffee
      Asleep

lanterns&coffee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This gives me so much hope, thank you. I'm praying that days only get better from today onwards :)

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. jecamp1
      Sunshine

jecamp1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Conductive hearing loss; Acoustic exposure
      I relate to this story. I'm 11 months past onset living a normal life with tinnitus. My left ear still rings all day, all night, but it does not bother me 97% of the time.

Cheers @Javimaltes on your success and thanks for sharing!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    4. DenverCO

DenverCO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19
      Sometimes I need to read things like this. Because right now at 2 months in, dismal, heartbreaking, depressing, life-crushing etc are all understatements.

Thank you for posting something positive!

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Javimaltes
      Innocent

Javimaltes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea
      Thanks. Yes, it has been tough, but mainly because I was in an anxious state of mind.
      I'm glad it helps you. Believe me, once you start to relax, anxiety will diminish and step by step you'll feel much better. Sound therapy, helps a lot.

Best regards.