Had an Anxiety Attack — Tinnitus Spiking Now — What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Apr 4, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I had an anxiety attack. I tried not to.

Spiking now.

Please, it has to be temporary. I can't take any setbacks. Please help???
      Oh, what can I do?? :(

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Anxiety....oh I understand @PeteJ.

First try breathing exercises. Breath in slowly through your nose for the count of seven and let the air make your tummy area big. Without hesitating slowly exhale to the count of seven and bring your tummy area back to normal.

Do this several times and close your eyes and try to imagine a serene place.

The more you try to stop the anxiety often makes it worse.

And if it is really really bad talk to your general doctor about your options.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pete, please know that whenever I get anxious, anxiety or stressed out my tinnitus spikes. Just know it does calm down after you calm down. It is temporary so don't worry. Please try just try and try and try to remain calm. Keep trying. Don't give up.

Push yourself to exercise, eat healthy (cut out sugar, in my case it makes my anxiety worse), remain busy by doing chores, if you go to school (try doing your best and remain busy studying), text a friend, look at funny memes, play brain games such as unscramble, drink lots of water, try to get some sleep, fake it till you make it. Just try. Meditate everyday (so helpful for my anxiety attacks). Watch movies or listen to music.

Little by little bring the old Pete. Be hopeful about the future, machines are coming out and they can be our savior! Positive self talk. Talk to yourself how you would talk to a friend. I'm sure you would tell your friends the right words, why not use those positive self talk for yourself? YOU GOT THIS MAN! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am very worried about two things:
      1) what anxiety does to t - it's spiking, currently

2) I took my muffs off and had a popping sound. Ear or the tapped air, I dunno. But, it scared me and the anxiety became moreso

I am scared about this. I don't want things to be worse. I can't.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      All the symptoms I've had during a panic attack have been temporary. Even when my left arm went numb during an attack.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I’m with you on the anxiety attacks, I still get them but not as often. Tbh all I can do is try to concentrate on my breathing, in and out slowly feeling the tension from my head to my toes and try and let that go, this works sometimes and not all the time unfortunately. My dog helps me as well if he’s there he steam rolls over and puts his head on my mine or my chest and won’t move until I’ve calmed down.

The spikes are normally temporary so as hard as it sounds try to ride the spike out, I’m sure it will go back to Baseline once the anxiety has decreased.

Have you tried lemon grass tea? That seems to help me a little, I try to drink a few cups a day now it can be quite calming.

@another sean my legs and arms always go numb when I have a panick attack, I thought that was normal?

7. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      it only happened to me twice. I don't think its a common symptom.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I forgot about the breathing technique, I literally do it throughout my day, even if I'm not feeling anxious because I get terrible anxiety attacks & also I take a valerian root 2 hours before going to sleep, then drink a chamomile tea 30 minutes after the valerian root. I then meditate and knock out! Just some techniques that help me.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Your tinnitus will settle down, trust me. Anxiety attack makes your system go nuts and you enter a fight or flight mode. Once you relax and takes thing slow, your spike will back off.

10. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do it through the day as well, it must be working as the panick attacks are less frequent now but I’m always feeling on edge like you. I haven’t tried valerian root, I think I’ll give that ago

@another sean I get the numbness I’d say 8/10 times, my doctor said that’s quite normal especially if it’s a frantic attack. Maybe I should look more into it then.

11. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Panic attacks hit me out of the blue, usually as soon as my head hits the pillow at night. I have had to resort to doing a lot of research on them in order to cope, it is an absolute must for me. Knowledge is power when it comes to handling an attack.

Here is one article that I found quite helpful, although there are many more stored away in my computer files.

https://www.anxietycoach.com/overcoming-panic-attacks.html

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I get anxiety from them.

I believe they can be random but certain noise and sounds can instigate or trigger one, too, right?

I am really fearful of those and it scares me the most of it being a longtime or if it is a sign of worsening tinnitus.

I went for a walk with my dog and discovered an acquaintance has tinnitus.

Long story short, we walked along a trail and met some other dog walkers. My tinnitus is spiking today. Due to the walk? There was sound from the river and the dogs did some barking including mine. Was it from that? Any of that?

I was stupid to not wear my plugs, right? :( I just read a poll thread about dogs and barks. I think I am too stupid to live, really.

I often protect, over protect even and then my stupid mode goes on and I don't wear my plugs or muffs.

This spike has to stop soon. Please. :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Pete you are not stupid, that’s the anxiety taking hold mate. I highly doubt the river did any damage, I walk by one daily and it’s not loud enough to cause a spike for me anyway.

Maybe next time you go for a walk and you know there is going to be a lot of dogs or people, keep your plugs or earmuffs in. Listen to your body and if you feel uncomfortable with the noises just leave, in time hopefully you’ll get a better feeling for what noises can affect you, I know I did I think it’s about finding a balance in what suits you best. Sometimes the unexpected happens and we can’t control everything in life.

I know this has been said a million times on this site but due to my own experiences with anxiety, it can ramp up the noise in my head or at least the perception of it, once I’ve calmed down it goes back to baseline (sometimes it can take a day or two to go back down but it always does)

Do you do any breathing exercises or take any herbal supplements or teas to try and help with the anxiety?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You think it's anxiety?

So, if I had none, it wouldn't have spiked at all? I am not even sure if it was from that but I can't think of anything else.

I have some tea. I just need it to settle down and return to baseline if that's what it's called. The spikes are always scary because of the uncertainty of length and they are so awful in general.

15. Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it’s a combination of both mate, the noise of the dogs and the anxiety but I’m just going on my own experiences with noise and anxiety. Anxiety can do strange things to you, I wouldn’t count anything out in regards to it spiking you T.

I know a group of dogs can be noisy, as I said just keep plugs and muffs on you just incase. I know spikes are horrible and it is the waiting to see if it goes back down that can be exhausting, try and do some deep breathing exercises daily. I do them about 3-5 times a day depending on how I’m feeling and they seem to be working.

I sit down with my back straight and eyes closed
      Feel the tension going from my head and work down to my toes, trying to release the tension in each part of my body while breathing for a count of 5 then release
      It takes about 5 minutes a day and it been helping me since I started, I didn’t see any difference for about 2 weeks but then it seemed to click.

I’m not saying this will cure your anxiety at all but for me it’s helped calm me some and I don’t seem to have as many panick attacks anymore.

Wish I could be more help mate, this is a journey none of us want. Keep protecting your hearing and try and find a balance between protecting and not over protecting, try and not put too much pressure on yourself buddy.

16. Quiet please
      Balanced

Quiet please Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cochlear Endolymphatic Hydrops/Hearing loss
      Hot shower, Xanax & Chamomile tea. Be near a bed. All the best to you.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @PeteJ It sounds like you need professional counseling. Please seek help. I don't know how many times we've tried to reassure you and it doesn't seem to calm you down.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Reassure me of what?

19. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Try some mediation apps. They are usually free for the most part. They helped me immensely

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That it will fade with time.

21. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, it will fade with time and even if tinnitus doesn't your reaction to it will fade with time

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have a lot of spikes lately. That's why I am anxious and depressed lately.
      Apparently, some people here think I need professional help.
      I guess they don't know I have seen some counselors. I asked them if they can prescribe any miracle t-stopping medications but they said no, unfortunately.

23. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      There is no miracle T stopping med or this forum wouldn't exist. What many of long termers with T are telling you that it is very difficult in the beginning because you over react to it. That is completely normal because we have all been there. The flip side of this is that we are also telling you that it gets better with time and that is true.

The difficult part is what to do to bridge the gap between now and then. As hard as it is to do, you need to find time to relax and calm yourself. I take walks and listen to audiobooks. I try not to worry about the little things. I eat a healthy diet. I also take CBD. I don't know if it legal where you are at but it helps me quite a bit. Not so much with the T, but it really relaxes and calms me which can help take the edge off.

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Talk therapy can also be helpful. Is there someone you can talk to about how to deal with your reaction to tinnitus mentally?

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      The best advice I can personally offer you is this...

Keep coming here, write down your fears and continue to ask for suggestions, help, empathy and support. This forum is full of members who will do their best to quiet your worst fears.

Also, and this is important, read all of the positive posts that you can, there are many of them. This worked for me when I was at my lowest point. Take this all one day at a time.:huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      While it doesn't get better for everyone, his tinnitus is very new and for many people, it does get better, so his chances are high that it will get better for him. (Let's encourage new members without hiding or ignoring the severe end of the tinnitus spectrum)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I checked a recent audiogram of mine recently. It's bad. I am so depressed. I don't want to take any ototoxic drugs.

I just want all this to end. No more spiking t. No pain with my ears. There is no cure. No definite timetable for a cure. I want the suffering to stop and there is only one way at this time.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's loud enough that I can hear it in the bathroom. I guess people are tired of my posts. Don't blame you. :-(

29. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Is your bathroom loud? Bathrooms tend to be quiet. I can hear my t in the bathroom.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yes, it's quiet but for some reason, my t always seemed quieter in there.

Not right now. This spike is especially bad.