Has Anyone Ever Taken Cyproheptadine After SSRI (Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, etc.) Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 3, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      According to Wikipedia:

It is sometimes used off-label in the management of moderate to severe cases of serotonin syndrome, a complex of symptoms associated with the use of serotonergic drugs, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and monoamine oxidase inhibitors), and in cases of high levels of serotonin in the blood resulting from a serotonin-producing carcinoid tumor.

The SSRI drugs like Lexapro and Zoloft increase serotonin levels. However, Cyproheptadine is antiserotonergic.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have no idea but my 19 month old is taking it for a stomach accommodation issue. I had no idea that it had these properties. I'm a little alarmed now to say the least.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Okay, granted I have multiple causes of tinnitus so I am not a good candidate for testing this out. In addition I take multiple medications. However, I did take this a while back and it was okay for around 3 or 4 days but then my tinnitus shot up to an unbelievable level. I think it had to do with the antihistamine part of the drug. The reason I say this is because Meclizine and Hydroxyzine (which are antihistamines) do this to me after a couple of days of use. Needless to say, it wasn't a good fit for me. The good news is that once I stopped the medication, that new tinnitus went away.

4. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Bump! I wonder if I should consider taking it while crossing over antidepressants.

Is it a good idea to take while decreasing Zoloft and increasing Luvox?