Has Anyone Had Dental Filling Replaced 5 to 8 Months After Your Acoustic Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you had a dental filling replaced 5 to 8 months after your acoustic trauma, did it result in a temporary or a permanent spike? Did it stop your progress as far as tinnitus is concerned?

2. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Bill Bauer, I had a filling done 7-8 months after my acoustic trauma. I wore plugs and told the dentist about my T before she started too. I have to say it was an awful experience, I was very anxious and it definately spiked my T but this seemed to go down again after a few days. It was such an awful experience though I was due to have another filling in Feb but cancelled it as I was frightened it would worsen my T indefinately.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Did the noise or your anxiety spike your tinnitus?

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had two acoustic traumas that were quite severe and fortunately had no problems with dental fillings.
      I have had many dental procedures over the years that have included root canel and extractions and had no problems or increase in my tinnitus, which can reach severe levels.
      Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I'm pretty sure it was the noise. It was a filling on my upper jaw, near the worst of my ears. I used foam plugs but not much you can do about bone conduction :(

6. John B.
      Tired

John B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2003
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I had both a cavity replaced and a wisdom tooth pulled. Before both, I mentioned to the dentist that I had tinnitus and I was going to put an ear plug in - which I did solely as a precaution. Neither event spiked my tinnitus that I can remember.

One very odd thing I noticed when I was getting my wisdom pulled. I was pretty anxious - it was about 1 month after I started experiencing a louder, different form of tinnitus. Things had settled down slightly - and I was really scared that these dental procedures, or the recovery process was going to set that all back. I had never had a wisdom tooth pulled so that only added to my anxiety. During the process - which overall went as smooth as I could have asked - when the dentist was yanking the tooth out, my tinnitus went completely quiet. This lasted maybe a minute or so. My feeling is that because my brain was so focused on what was going on at that moment it sorta blocked out the other activity. This gives me some hope that with some meditation / other calming techniques that I might be able to control the intensity of my tinnitus - I'm exploring that now.

• Like Like x 1