Has Valerian Made Anyone's Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I was wondering if anyone has experienced any negative effects on their tinnitus from taking valerian for sleep.

I have been taking valerian, hops, passion flower tabs for a few months now, allowing me to reduce need for prescription meds but my tinnitus is still worsening.

Wondering if there is any link.

I would be interested in others' experiences with this type of herbal med.

2. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      I'm using all of the above with no negative effects...there has to be something else going on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Are you getting an increase in static or hissing?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Maybe static, but more of an electrical sound. This always increases when my T gets worse.

5. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      I felt worse noise while on Valerian, but I think it's depend on tinnitus kind you have.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Over the past 18 months, I went through about 25 pounds of dried Valerian root (that I have been using to make Valerian tea). I haven't had any problems, and would recommend it to others.

7. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've never noticed any issues, but Valerian contains a (mild) GABAergenic drug which is roughly similar to a weak benzodiazepine. Benzos are known to cause tinnitus as a result of tolerance or withdrawal, so I would assume that Valerian has the same potential risk.

There is at least one case in the medical literature of someone who had used Valerian on a daily basis for a long time, who stopped suddenly and had a grand mal seizure as a result. This is the same extreme withdrawal reaction that benzodiazepines or alcoholism can produce; since this was an isolated case, one assumes that Valerian is less likely to cause problems, but I certainly wouldn't assume it's "safe".

The easiest thing to do is to stop taking it for a while and see if your tinnitus improves; Valerenic acid is probably the most significant psychoactive compound in Valerian, and it's half-life is only a couple hours, so it probably doesn't stack up in the body over days or weeks of use. Meaning, it's probably pretty safe to just stop taking it for a while, unless you've been using high doses for a long time in which case you'd probably want to taper it like you would a benzo.

8. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      not for me. tried valerian drops a few times. Dairy, salt, vinegar will launch it into out space while saying "blast off mofo" in my face, but not valerian.

9. Lilah

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Lupus
      Yes, it definitely caused a spike. I took 500mg for sleep and it was my first time trying it. I had stomach upset (diahrea) three times during the night and felt nauseous. It did cause me to fall asleep for about an hour but the spike work me up. I think the pill was too strong for me. I also heard Valerian works the longer you take it....

10. Mister Muso
      Disappointed

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 and spiking since April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concerts & bruxism/ETD/who knows
      That's interesting. I've been taking Valerian for a few years before my recent T spikes due to - various other maladies including a toxic ex-brother-in-law - anyway I've not been taking it as regularly lately since I started running low, and I've had a major spike over the weekend (my 3rd since April - yikes). I'll take another "Kalms Night-time" which I've found helpful for sleeping in the recent past, and see how I get on.