Has Vitamin D Caused Tinnitus (Ringing in Ears) for Anyone?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cindy Rootus, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Cindy Rootus

Cindy Rootus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Does anyone have ringing in ears from taking Vitamin D?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been taking it for years, and I haven't noticed it having any impact on my tinnitus.

3. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      A lack of vitamin D has, but never heard of it causing it

4. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I take vitamin D with no problems.
      How much are you taking??

Once

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What's the principle of action there? If you lack vitamin D, what happens that leads to T?

6. HanaK
      Stressed

HanaK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD, TMJ?
      Really? No wonder my tinnitus seems better when I get some sunlight.

7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Not sure, but it if you do a search for vitamin D and tinnitus there are results that state too much and too low can cause contribute to it.

Here's one from Livestrong that states too much can cause it:
      https://www.livestrong.com/article/523389-list-of-vitamins-that-cause-tinnitus/
      but it also states "The smartest step to take upon developing tinnitus is to see an otolaryngologist."
      Oh so funny :ROFL:

I had a vitamin D deficiency a while back, which was kind of strange considering I was living somewhere very hot and sunny. I suspected maybe I was overdoing the sunscreen. Just can't win really - don't use it and get skin cancer, over do it and get a vitamin D deficiency. I took it for a few months and my levels normalised but it made no different to the T.

• Informative Informative x 2
    8. laurie graham

laurie graham Member

Tinnitus Since:
      years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was just wondering about vitamin D myself. I've been taking it recently, and I've just noticed an uptick in my tinnitus. Can't say for sure if it's the cause, but there's a possibility in my mind...

9. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah I don't trust the supplement anymore, I was taking 10,000 IU a day leading up to my Tinnitus. I've been taking it off and on for some years but it's got nothing on actual sunlight. You can be absolutely sure that all inflammatory and autoimmune conditions get worse in Winter. Google searches for Tinnitus ramp up over Winter too.

10. VeeGee

VeeGee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Surgery
      I’ve had tinnitus since I had a lengthy surgery in 2017. One ear is worse than the other but I’ve learned to live with it. Last week I woke up one morning with horrible ringing and whooshing sound in both ears. Horrible! So loud I was having trouble hearing. Also had a lot of pressure in one ear. I thought it was a sinus issue at first and I was just hoping it wasn’t a new level of tinnitus symptoms.

After a couple of days of this misery, it dawned on me that I’d started taking Vitamin D supplements a couple days before.

I googled it and found numerous accounts of connection b/w tinnitus and Vitamin D levels.

I stopped immediately and the symptoms stopping within 36 hours. ‍♀️At least it’s back to what I can tolerate.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Daniel-O

Daniel-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trazodone/Insomnia
      I suspect that Vitamin D is unlikely to have a direct affect on T, but Calcium and Magnesium certainly could as they are essential to some many processes within our brains and ears. Adding D3 will definitely lead to more calcium in the blood/body since it increases its absorption, and will likely lead to a reduction in Magnesium since D needs it to convert to the active form. At the very least, the ratio of Calcium to Magnesium will change even if Magnesium stays relatively constant. As a good measure, it is always best to supplement K2 and Magnesium if you are on D3 in order to balance the increase in Calcium that you experience. If you are convinced that D3 is causing worsening T, I suggest an experiment: Drastically reduce your Calcium intake (stop milk, cheese, yoghurt, dark greens) for a week or so and see if T improves. If it does, you are likely sensitive to elevations in Calcium and should adjust accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1