Have to Fly for the First Time Since Developing Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scottrock, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly ear infection or loud music
      Hi, Brett's my name. I am new to the suffering that tinnitus provides us. And suffering I am, having slid into a depression in that short time. I am travelling (flying)tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone had any advise on how the flight might affect the T, and what precautions I should take, if any. Thanks

2. nj78

nj78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Asymmetric hearing loss
      I have never done it before, but I heard you should take some decongestant (like Sudafed) to aid pressure equalization in your ears. And avoid flying with a bad cold.

3. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      I flew with tinnitus for the first time this past summer. I had no issues whatsoever with the tinnitus and used Earplanes for the flights which made equalizing the pressure in my ears much easier than any flight I've ever experienced (pre- and post-tinnitus I've always had ear equalizing problems on flights). I also take a daily antihistimene which generally keeps my sinuses pretty clear and a neti pot when needed. Agreed that avoiding flying with a bad cold is a good idea. All in all though you should be fine. Best of luck to you!

• Like Like x 1
    4. nj78

nj78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Asymmetric hearing loss
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you both. The earplanes sound like they are worth a try.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      The best is to use over the ear ear muffs
      First you don't have to worry about pressure issues - this is what pilots use btw
      And then some ear muffs will cut the bass rumble noise from the aircraft a lot better than ear plugs
      Plus they will be more comfortable over time than having plugs into the ear canal

I would strongly suggest to get a pair of Peltor x5a ear muffs those are really good

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cheers Bobby. We have some ear muffs at home for when we go to cooler climates.

8. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I've flown four times in the past five months.

My arsenal included: a pair of 3M foam plugs, a pair of silicon plugs, a pair of 3M Peltor earmuffs, a nasal spray, a pack of chewing gum.

I found airports to be noisier than the flights.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello,

I am late but there are some special airplane ear plugs that you can buy on Pharmacies, I have used them for some several flights...

• Like Like x 1
    10. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      • Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks to all. My volume went way down at the airport in Doha. I bought silicone and wax plugs as well a pair of my studio headphones and the volume was tolerable. In Zurich now and the volume is up again. Here's hoping for a Christmas miracle eh?

• Like Like x 1
    12. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I was flying yesterday. During the flight noise level was around 70-75dB and I wore over the ear headphones (that in IMHO are better at attenuating noise than NNR 16 PartyPlugs). I have a slight spike but this could be due to my anxiety being of the charts (too many 'I got T from an airplane' horror stories lol).

I agree that the airport, especially when going through security and boarding the plane, was louder than the flight itself:D

• Like Like x 1
    13. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @Bobby B

How do earmuffs help you with pressure issues ?

I am wondering because I do have pressure issues, and a few days ago I had to take 3 flights on a row, and when I got home my ears couldn't equalize well and I had a spike for a few days after that...

I didn't know about earmuffs helping with pressure, so if you are correct I might just as well give it a try...

All the best !

14. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      How do you measure the sound? With the app I use it usually indicates about 90 dB when flying, but I don't know how reliable it is..

15. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I only have an Android app, unfortunately. No idea how accurate is that. But I think 75dB is a reasonable value. I didn't have to raise my voice at all (I speak very quiet, everyone keeps telling me this), and at 90dB I would really have to speak up to communicate with cabin crew. Different planes have different

This could vary greatly between planes, though. I was flying Ryanair (not so fun experience haha), and they have (reasonably) new 737s.

I'm in a house in a rural, very, very quiet rural area. When I go to a room where only slight hissing of central heating can be heard my app shows 20-23dB (which seems a LITTLE bit low... Wikipedia says 20–30dB for a "very calm room"). I have no idea what other kind of reference sound I could use.

I'm flying again in 14 days (back to uni!) but I think I'll invest in actual earmuffs, so I don't have to guess how much protection they give and hence, calm down finally.

PS Normal conversation is around 60dB-70dB according to my app. Seems ok.

• Like Like x 1
    16. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Calibrate it roughly against something that has a DB warning sticker on it,like a lawnmower or something similar.

My lawnmower has a noise rating sticker on it indicating that at full pelt it's roughly 100db,I give my phone to my brother and a get him to calibrate it so that the two figures match.
      It's not an exact science but at least you will know that loud noises are being read somewhat accurately.

Don't do it yourself,get someone with healthy ears and earmuffs to do it for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @Lorenzo74
      I don't have pressure issues with or without ear muffs..What kind of planes are you flying ? the jetliners since the 1990's are well pressurized.

I remember ears popping and pressure issues flying the jets in the 1970's though

muffs are great from comfort and noise reduction especially for bass frequncies which you find in aircraft cabins.
      My sound meter app whihc is very close to my real DB Meter says about 80 to 85 db in planes like the airbus 330, more on take off

18. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello Lorenzo,

Actually you can buy those anti-pressure ear plugs into a Pharmacy, it can help you for a next flight.

19. gitupagin
      Approved

gitupagin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection/airplane flight
      I also am planning a trip flying for first time since T . I have alot of anxiety!!
      Just wondering, if I use my Peltor earmuffs, isn't that too long a time (10 hour flight).
      Anybody can you advise on long distance flights??
      Happy Holidays to all!!

20. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello,

Don't worry too much, usually the sound is not too strong on Airplanes.

On January this year I took several Flights and I didn't need the ear plugs once the plane is flying... And I have Hyperacusis...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. gitupagin
      Approved

gitupagin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection/airplane flight
      Thanks Christophe_85 that makes me feel better.
      So you used them on takeoff?

22. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Pressure issues will only really be a problem on the descent. On a long haul flight this year I got ear pain on the one side because my eustachian tubes were blocked. On the descent your ear drum will be pulled inwards under pressure if you cannot equalise it. I had this and it lasted for hours afterwards; eventually I had to gently do the valsalva manoeuvre to forcibly equalise it. If you are bunged up or have a cold, I'd definitely recommend taking some decongestants and/or breathing in some menthol vapour before flying, if possible. Cabin noise can vary greatly depending on the plane, but I don't think the noise during cruising is particularly loud on average. I found passive noise isolating headphones to be the perfect balance of comfort and noise reduction. This is without using them as actual headphones; just for the passive protection.

I'm not sure what the comfort level is on the peltors, but over ear ear muffs are usually pretty tight on the head. They need to be tight to reach the higher db ratings. For longer flights, especially long haul flights, I think they'd become extremely uncomfortable, and the protection level is a bit too much for just a plane cruising in my opinion. It's likely that you could spike your T being under such isolation. But that's just my opinion, some will disagree.

Earplanes provide good protection as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You're right, earmuffs can become uncomfortable after a few hours, but you can remove them for a few minutes and take a rest.

I find the 3M/Peltor Optime III more comfortable than the 3M/Peltor X5A. It'd be quite smart to try before a long flight.

These won't do :D
      Pink-Fox-Earmuffs-Love-Hate.png

These will :
      649a1405-57d3-4d13-b3c1-9831f270da9c_1.56d042ac227668a3b288c805217785ae.jpe
      Very mild hyperacusis then ?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      I used the anti-pressure ones, for takeoff and landing

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Christophe_85
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Very mild hyperacusis then ?[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't know but it is already quite strong sometimes like in the street per example...

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scottrock
      Fine

Scottrock Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks all of you. I'll try and source some today. Got to fly home in a few days- 3 different flights. Anxious about it already. Heading into the alps tomorrow which usually I'd be looking forward to.
      Will altitude affect my T?

27. wags
      Wishful

wags Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I used my iPhone (reliable within 4 db, A weighted) during takeoff on an Airbus 321 (6 person rows) on the 10th row (right by engine), highest it got to was 84db. Cruising was at about 75 db. Didn't take one landing, but I'm sure it's louder when they turn on the jet brake! Bottom line, cruising altitude isn't going to be any worse than your average restaurant or city street, but if you're worried about the big noise put on the muffs right when the engines rev up for take off, and before the jet brake turns on during landing.

Attached Files:

28. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      I don't know what's the consensus is about altitude, but I felt very good during my holidays in the Alps this summer. Hiking + fresh air was relaxing... T could be worse because there is less oxygen, but that's not what I experienced at all.

I still suggest you to keep plugs or muffs during the cruise if you think you have hyperacusis. You can remove them sometimes to give your ears a rest, but 80dB or more for several hours is not cool if you have H.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Bobby B and thank you for your reply...

Yes I was Flying jetliners... I don't think I really have a problem with the noise inside the plane, besides the odd crying baby next to me, as I fly a lot and I never get spikes...

But I think 3 flights in a row was a little too much for my ears, and each time we landed I had more difficulties in equalizing, and I had to do the valsava's manouvre, which I do not like doing, and my ears stayed with a full feeling and my T was higher for a few days as my ears didn't equalize fully, and I needed to go back to masking before sleep... Just last night I think things got back to normal as I fell asleep without masking...

So since I fly quite a lot, I am trying to understand all the best ways to deal with pressure issues and equalizing my ears...

Maybe I will research a bit online and will make a post about tips on ears and Flying and pressure pain...

All the best to you all and Merry Christmas !

30. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @Christophe_85 and thank you for the tip..

Yesterday I went to a pharmacy to ask about them after I read this thread, but it seems in Italian pharmacys they do not know much about it... I looked up on line and I think I will just buy them on the internet..

I hope they help... It sucks when I don't equalize well and I feel ear pain...

All the best !!! Ciao !!