Have to Take Doxycycline for One Week, Previously Made My Tinnitus Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by Abby, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Abby
      Doubtful

Abby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      Hi, I have just been told I need to take Doxycycline 100mg for one week. 2 pills the first day and then one each day for 6 days. I had to take it a year ago and it made my tinnitus worse. I read that many took it and it went back down. The mistake I made after taking the meds is that I went out to places I normally went out to before and wasn't affected by the loudness previously. After doxycycline, my ears kept getting worse and worse and still are for one year exactly.

My question is, has anyone taken it and not had any affects from it. Should I avoid all loud places for a while? How long? Or is it inevitable that they will continue to get worse.

I can't take another antibiotic as the other options are ciprobay and arithromycin. Everyone here says the mycin family are a no no. But doxycycline is also of the mycin family. The name on the doxycycline box is Vibramycin. I have to take this antibiotic unfortunately and I'm dreading it so much. Another alternative I should clindamycin but I've read is not as effective against the bacteria I have and I don't want to inject pointless drugs into my system.

2. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I have taken a variety of antibiotics and most of them made my tinnitus worse but only while taking them. But at the time I only had mild tinnitus which never bothered me, and even when taking the antibiotics it didnt bother me despite it being louder. Now that I have louder tinnitus I'm also a little wary of taking antibiotics and other things like ibuprofen etc. But if you have an infection, not taking the meds could make whatever other issue you have worse