Headache Cancels Out Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kriszti, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anybody else experienced that headache cancels out tinnitus?

This is the second time that has happened to me. After an MRI today, my high pitched sound (this is the newer one) went up a lot in volume. And maybe because of the MRI too I got a horrible headache. But during the headache the tinnitus lessened a lot, went back to being an electric sizzle/hiss rather than the very high pitch whistle/screaming. After like 4-5 hours without any medication, because I'm so scared to take anything, the headache is better, the tinnitus is worse.

I don't think that I was concentrating more on the headache, because that is pretty normal to me, and tinnitus is still a huge shock, so I don't feel like that distraction only made the tinnitus better.

Strangely since I developed tinnitus, my head hurts less, which was a pretty normal occurrence for me. I haven't even had my "normal" horrible, migraines with aura in the last month either. That's maybe because of Piracetam and Betahistine. I'm always tired as hell because of the not sleeping, but headaches were not as common for me as they used to be pre-tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Sometimes there is pressure due to excessive noise exposure and tinnitus is lower, and then pressure eases and tinnitus increases.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      But it increased after the MRI, which I think was excessive noise exposure and then decreased while having the headache. Now back to the increased level. Plus side of tinnitus, that headaches seems to go away faster and without medication.

Sorry, I'm just going around in circles, this ordeal really wracks havoc on me.
      I really should stop monitoring every aspect of my noises, but it's so hard.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Hangovers make my tinnitus disappear.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe I should drink more. ☺️
      Doesn't alcohol make tinnitus worse in the long run though?

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Nah. Not for me at least.

7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I get headaches associated with my tinnitus, but with a lower volume, higher pitch tinnitus sound.

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Alcohol makes everything worse in the long run. But a glass of wine is reasonable ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a headache for several years. It was already fading a bit but it finally went away around the time I got tinnitus. It was the weirdest f-ing thing. I did wonder if it was something to do with completely taking my focus off the pain/headache in utter horror at the tinnitus, that this somehow allowed the pain to finally remit.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I kinda feel that headaches and tinnitus are fighting for taking over my nervous system. It's a constant battle and when one of them is stronger, the other goes into recess trying to collect ammunition in order to attack harder...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm about to test whether migraine cancels out tinnitus as well. I'm starting to develop aura right now. Haven't had it in 2 months. Tinnitus is raging.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Probably false alarm, or I don't know. Aura went away, I'm nauseous as hell, but don't have headache. Grinding hell sound is just the same.

13. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      This is just the hardest thing to figure out. Was it already there, or did it just emerge?

My T has slowly been reducing, especially in the last month. "Coincidentally", I started noticing multiple aches in my neck, which might just be from my earlier injury that induced my T. However, I've been focused mostly on the sounds in the previous period, and sensing pain has always been quite hard for me... so for all I know, the pain was already there when T dawned, I might just not have noticed it.

The brain's capability of filtering out input seems to be both a blessing and a curse...

• Like Like x 1
    14. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I had a continuous headache for 12 years. Got divorced and it went away...

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't decide whether that's a good thing or not.

I have deep, deep anxiety issues about university. (Might not be comparable to a divorce, but in my life, it's horrible. ) I wonder whether tinnitus will react if I finish it, or if I drop out.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not anymore. That was probably the one and only slightly good thing about getting tinnitus. For 4 months I barely got any headache or migraine even though I slept extremely poorly and before that I had headaches like every other day. And when I had it, the headache canceled out or lessened the tinnitus to a minimal level. Now I'm sleeping a lot better, but the headaches are back and don't affect my tinnitus positively. Paracetamol does nothing for me (already took 2 pills on the last 24 hours), and after having a spike from possibly Ibuprofen, I don't know what to take.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I read that Tylenol is the least ototoxic. Is that right?

I also read an anecdote from someone who claimed ice cold coffee or cappuccino might treat headaches.

My left ear also really hurts especially at the bottom and my cheek joint there.

18. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I have noticed that Tylenol spikes my tinnitus less than, for example, ibuprofen. Of course, Tylenol doesn't really reduce inflammation; it just makes the brain feel less pain.

19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, I just read that. I am experiencing one of the most painful headaches I have had in a long while.

Cold washcloth with ice to the forehead isn't working. Ice cap didn't work.

I don't have any tylenol and don't feel like going to the drug store. :-(

Oh, thanks for replying.

20. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Kriszti:

I know exactly what you are referring to:
      Whenever I have a migraine now for its duration the tinnitus is nearly eliminated.
      It's the damnedest thing.

I defy any Physician or Medical Researcher to explain this.

21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I wanted to reply to you in the other thread but I was blocked.

It is just so frustrating for me. I can't help it. It makes me feel even more alone than I (literally) am. Nothing sinks through. People just think they are just "differing opinions." Okay. :( :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope you read this before it is removed. Politics is politics but when it comes to our health and tinnitus, everyone is on the same page or should be. I want to help if I can and I appreciated your reply.

I can't believe I can even type all this. My headache is horrible. The pain in my forehead is excruciating and it's going to mean a continuous tinnitus spike or however one would describe it. Heck if I know... :(