Hearing Aids That Go Above 8 kHz?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PureNoise, Jun 1, 2019.

1. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do any hearing aids go above 8 kHz and would they help me drown out a lot of my tinnitus if my hearing loss is in the 9-14 kHz range? My hearing is perfect up to 8 kHz.

I’m getting an extended audiogram soon and I’m wondering what my options are. If there is hearing loss, do the hearing aids make a huge difference in how you hear the tinnitus?

How good are the tinnitus sound programs in the hearing aids, do they make it seem like the tinnitus is much lower than it actually is?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I owned a Widex with Zen and didn't find it particularly useful. Found it annoying actually. My current hearing aid has Bluetooth and that allows me to stream anything I want from my phone. That works better for me.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Signia has a 12 kHz hearing aid with notch therapy that they claim can reduce tinnitus long term. I'm not buying that it does that.

Since I don't have hearing loss I see no reason why Wireless Earbuds wouldn't be better and have better sound quality too for a fraction of the cost. I can stream all the best sound apps/hearing aid sounds including the Widex Zen app, ReSound Relief and more.

Looks like Baby Driver is about to become my life.

4. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I recall speaking to my audiologist about 12 kHz hearing aids. He said even though they advertise amplification up to that level, their ability to do so drops off around 8 kHz to negligible effect at the 12 kHz mark. Hearing aids are really only designed to amplify the regular speaking frequencies.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Look at some Siemens and Phonak.

I don't find that very useful.

6. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      I have a pair. I did not know they went to 12 kHz. They claim it may eliminate tinnitus and they say there's a clinically proven 60% success rate and they achieved this from a study of 20 people with 10 getting the treatment, and 6 having improved THI scores.

Just a gimmick to sell hearing aids.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Basically for someone like me without hearing loss, wireless earbuds are the best option. I can stream any nature sounds or pink noise or sound app or calm music on low volume and high quality. $200 and I don’t need $4000-5000 hearing aids with bad tinnitus relief programs.

I highly doubt low volume wireless earbuds will make tinnitus worse. Otherwise how will I get relief? Only other option is wearable in-ear white noise generators.

• Agree Agree x 2