Hearing Aids to Lower Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nanny chocolate, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      I've just been to see a Hospital audiologist, scared.

Hearing test shows moderate to high frequency loss, lower tones fine. I was hoping to be given maskers but no, small hearing aids that MIGHT help. Such a lovely lady but once again seems like a dead end. Sound proof room seems to have made T go mad and a new noise to join the others I think.

Just wondered if anybody else has had any relief this way?

Exhausted by trying so hard to manage the T. I’ve had it since 1992 but it’s become much worse over several weeks.

Suspect is sertraline but Consultant says not!!!

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I use hearing aids at times. Mine do not lower the volume of my tinnitus, instead the hearing aid kinda matches the sounds of the environment to the sound of my tinnitus. So I don't notice the tinnitus as much and it kinda evens it out for me.

Without it, my tinnitus volume is LOUD and overtakes any noise that I hear in the environment. It's well worth a try to see if hearing aids can be helpful. Mine also has a masking white noise/pink noise built in which is helpful at times too. Some folks love hearing aids and others do not like them. It's up to you if you want to try them out :)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi there.
      Thank you fishbone, how come the name?
      Mine’s because my little grandsons know there might be chocolate for them.
      I’m in the UK and it seems that duo aids and maskers are not provided per se.I’m a bit freaked out so I’ll probably look at them for a few days and then try to be brave and give them a go. Eve