Completed Hearing Loss Prevention for Veterans (HLPP)

To evaluate the effectiveness of two forms of education about NIHL for Veterans.

1. Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

Hearing Loss Prevention for Veterans (HLPP) (version 1.0) - To evaluate the effectiveness of two forms of education about NIHL for Veterans.

Read more about this resource...

2. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

Okay, I wanted to throw this out there, as I have found that there is little care for anyone in regards to the safety of their health when it comes to anyone working anywhere. Back in 2010, I was enrolled in a government work program to help me find a job where I could start out fresh and gain some solid work experience, as we all know everyone has to start somewhere. Well this program offered all this money to these companies to pay towards part of my wage, which i appreciated very much, but their #1 priority was to get me out the door and into a job as fast as possible, well that being said, stupidly enough they did not go over any safety requirements or even mentioned one word about safety at all. They bought me work pants shirt and some steel toed boots, but no ear defenders or anything. well 2 months later, the program found me a job as a laborer for a small residential construction company, and we used to use all sorts of power tools and loud machinery, yet no one ever came forth to tell me anything about safety. Not even the safety inspector from government who checked the safety of the building instead, like wtf? I was young and had no knowledge on safety or anything what so ever. I was struggling to find a job to make some money and that's all I was really focused on at the time. So I agree this is an action that needs to be taken ASAP, and not just for military servicemen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I agree: hearing protection is a very overlooked area of workplace safety. I am not sure what the regulations are here in the US yet alone Canada. Actually, hearing protection is overlooked in general. There should be warnings posted at concerts, kids should be taught about hearing safety in school.

So I am surprised they are making you two months to see an ENT. Cant your primary doc, the one who ordered the blood sugar tests, also at least order some CT scans to check for tumors, etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Kimbo Slice
      Balanced

Kimbo Slice Member

I know right? You'd think the safety inspector would be there for a reason... You'd think at least someone in the past decade would have said something, but all in all, everyone is constantly thinking about themselves and getting home at the end of the day. Hell I used to do it too, so I can't really say much, but now that I have become aware of these problems, I feel as though I need to try to make it clear about the reality of this.

5. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1