Hearing Protection and Tinnitus: Keep The Tiny Hair Cells Safe — Discuss!

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I think Elacin is one of the more popular brands, have you bought a pair of custom earplugs?

I'm planning on getting Elacin ER-25's, which should provide enough protection for most situations. And I'm not a frequent clubber or such, so don't probably need the maximum NRR (noise reduction rating).

These aren't cheap, but they last a long time and provide totally custom fit, so... my ears are worth it! :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I have not tried Elacin. I have been using Etymotic ER20's (i think). They are relatively cheap, around $9 to 10 a pair. I have many sets and keep them in the car, my travel bag etc. I always have them with me especially when I go out. Worth there weight in gold.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Etymotic's should be good I think, even though not custom fitted but they seem to be fitting well in many types of ears.

Need to think this one through, maybe a pair of ER20's would be a good middle way upgrade for me (coming from those cheap yellow foam plugs).

4. oliver
      Stressed

oliver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Hi, Im thinking of getting some ACS moulded ear plugs made to protect my hearing and to use as a preventative measure against aggravating my T whilst at work as I work in the Construction Industry.
      Ive been wondering if anyone hear has had any experience of these and if the moulding process had any effect on their T? Does wearing protective earplugs for a long time during the day have an impact for anyone hear on the forum?

Thanks for reading.

O

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Moulded earplugs rock.

Usual cheap generic ear plugs just don't compare in the slightest.

Moulded quality plugs are way better when listening to music, i.e. when going out on a favorite band's gig. The sound sounds absolutely more natural than with generic plugs.

Elacin does superb custom ear plugs, for example: http://www.elacin.fi/tuote/kuulosuojaimet/er-flexcomfort

In English: http://www.elacin.com/gb/en/page/351/earplugs

But there are lots more quality manufacturers available out there.

They are costly, but they last a long time and will be worth the investment, I guarantee you!

And wearing ear plugs at construction sites probably isn't a bad idea. I can imagine the noise levels aren't within safe limits at all times.

6. oliver
      Stressed

oliver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Hi Markku, Thanks for the link. I have looked at Elacin plugs but unfortunately I was unable to find a retailer in my location. I guess by your post have found moulded earplugs to be highly useful. It looks like a good decision.
      I think the price is small compared to increasing my T with doing through my daily life (public transport, work etc...) and trying to still lead a social life whilst managing the T and protecting myself.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      This saturday my parents are going to have a joint Bday celebration at a function hall...there will be singing, piano and violin performances, clapping and definitely loud conversations in other words it's going to be my "first" loud event after having T. I'm worried and I just want to ask some opinion on this matter. I have custom made musician's ear plugs at 25 and 15 Dcb, I have Hearos 32 NRR foam plugs, I also got 25 Dcb ear muffs. Guys what should I use? Any tips on how long I should stay?

8. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hell yes you should go, and you should stay all damn night! If you're worried, download a soundmeter app for your phone and check the soundlevels.

You'll do it, you'll be a little anxious, but you'll do it and be proud of yourself. A big "screw you" to the T.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks Dez! I'm choosing between my custom fit plugs at 25 dcb and the 32 NRR foam ones... any recommendations?

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I went to an event last night, was a little spooked because it seemed so loud, then I checked my DB meter and it said around 80-82 which for a couple hours is within acceptable levels....and guess what? I had a great time with friends and my T today has been low all day.....

Peter, I use 30DB foam if I am going to a real loud event but otherwise I just use these Etymotic

• Like Like x 1
    11. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks Erik, so what plugs did you use at the event you attended last night at 80-82 Dcb?

12. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I did not use any only because hearing damage occurs at around 85db and higher for prolonged exposure of around 8 hours or more.

13. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I hope you don't mind me joining the question but I'd like to ask almost the same thing...

A certain popular international star is going to play a huge arena concert in my city next week and I have tickets. Thing is, I would expect no less than 100dB over there. I would love to go but I'm not going to lie, intuition tells me I will regret this. I have earplugs of course but I am afraid it might not be enough. At the same time I don't want to look like an idiot wearing earmuffs in front of my friends. Any thoughts?

14. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hi Fish,
      dB is a logarithmic scale - I'd be really surprised if an outdoor concert reached 100dB - that is jetplane-taking-off loud.
      Also, your earplugs should have an attenuation rating, perhaps -20dB or something. So if you can be more sure of the sound level you expect you can calculate how much will reach your ears.

Regarding your friends - that's a tricky one. That's like being the first kid who wore a cycling helmet when I was a teenager, or a snowboarder who wears a helmet. You NEVER look as cool as the kids who wore no protection, until it became the norm, and now you look like a bit of an idiot if you cycle/board without one. If anyone comments, you say, I need to protect my ears.

15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      From my personal experience of the theatre making my existing T lots worse I would really be inclined not to risk concerts and loud gatherings unprotected if your T is from noise damage in the first place. If the T does get worse from it then the 'screw you T' mentality will certainly fade away the next morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I can understand people not wanting T to rule their lives & control them but I'm with Louise on this one.

I've avoided all very loud noise & even prolonged lower noise (like standing next to the washing machine when it's spinning) since the start of T.

I don't wear ear plugs and I'm careful to ensure that I expose myself to normal daily noises but something is wrong because I have T and it's made me cautious.

I'd wear some ear plugs to the party petloy.

17. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Rule of thumb I follow is --If it is so loud you have to raise your voice to be heard then you should probably wear ear plugs....otherwise I don't. I do however, where them at the theater.

Earplugs will not help your tinnitus. They will make the tinnitus seem louder while you wear them. You should not wear any kind of earplugs that make it more difficult to hear, except in very loud noise, if you have tinnitus. Earplugs prevent your ears from getting accustomed to normal sounds if you have hyperacusis. Do not use earplugs unless you are using them temporarily in a noise that is unbearably loud to you. Always use hearing protection when you are exposed to very loud sounds, whether or not you have tinnitus or hyperacusis -from Henry Ford Center

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I have read that rule too. Notably it says 'raise the voice' which doesn't mean shouting. I wish I had known about the dangers of the theatre before I went. Its because I had been dozens of times before T with no problem. I think that's proof tinnitus ears react to sound differently to non-tinnitus ears :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I'll clarify, since my "screw you T" message got confused with a recommendation to not wear ear protection, and I'm not letting that stand. I'm saying that if you overcome your reservations, fears and anxieties and enjoy yourself, *that* is a "screw you T".

**Wear ear protection** if you think it will help you achieve this. I wear ear protection when rehearsing with my band, and when gigging. I don't care what anyone thinks if they see the earplugs.

• Like Like x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I've noticed (by checking the dB) that sometimes the loudness is way more at certain events than I would have estimated.

I.e. the movie theaters here have insanely loud volumes, the volume being in certain scenes about 100dB. Actually some hearing organizations in Finland have recommended people to wear earplugs to movies since the sound levels tend to be quite high. And that goes for *healthy* people.

I would think that people with existing tinnitus (especially noise-induced) are more susceptible to the condition getting even worse. I don't have any scientific data to back that up though.

Still, it's important not to go overboard protecting your hearing. Normal everyday sounds inside & outside are generally just fine. If you are all the time afraid of noises, then that fear might control your life too much & make you scared and paranoid that your tinnitus may worsen.

But I do believe it's possible to habituate to tinnitus and still manage to take care of your hearing, and wear earplugs to events and places that you think might harm you. It's better to be safe than sorry.

After a while you'll know where you need/want ear plugs on and where you don't. It becomes a habit.

Regarding the first message: I would take ear plugs with me and see how it feels like. You can then just put the plugs on and continue enjoying the party.

21. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Just an update...I went to my parent's celebration and I came out fine...whew! I was anxious at first so I took half of 0.5 mg Ativan...it made me calm and i measured the dcb it was between 70-90 dcb mostly on the 70-80 range I wore my Alpine Music Safe pro earplugs (i used the medium protection) and when I was called to play the guitar and sing for my parents I used my custom fit 25 dcb...I took a 5-10 minute break every hour...I go out remove my plugs and just rest and then go back in again.

That was a BIG first step for me....thank you for all the support and advice!

• Winner Winner x 3
    22. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Fantastic! Well done!

23. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Brilliant Petloy. Sounds like you were very sensible and still enjoyed yourself.

24. Kurri

Kurri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2009
      Hello,

I'm going to buy a pair of new earplugs but I can't choose if I should buy custom made or regular plugs.

I'm going to use them when I'm out and eating in very noisy restaurants, being downtown if there's a lot of noise and they will probably be in my ears for quite some time when I use them. Do you have any tips? I've been looking at mainly 2 different kinds.

The regular ones that obviously will fit perfectly and not hurt over time, linear reduction of Hz but a price that will hurt my wallet. They aren't discret at all.

The regular ones comes in 4 different sizes, they are promised to be discret, much cheaper. The minus is that I'm afraid they will hurt, won't fit properly and they reduce like 0-5 dB in the 125-500 Hz. From 500 to 8000 Hz they reduce 5 to15 dB.

So what do you recommend? Should I try the cheaper ones? Bout' 45$ so not that cheap. What do you think about the lousy dampening in the lower frequencies?

25. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Hi Kurri,

I have several earplugs...I got the custom fit 25 and 15 dcb for very loud situations. I also have the Hearos Foam 32 NRR, I have the Alpine Music Safe Pro musician's earplugs (for more comfortable fit) it has 3 attenuations at Small, Medium and High Protection thats the one I used for loud traffic, noisy restaurants, malls and even loud family gatherings. heres a link
      http://www.earplugstore.com/alnasoearpl.html

Hope this helps
      Peter

26. koenraad

koenraad Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Hello everybody :),

I obtained tinnitus by going to a festival, five years ago. After feeling depressed for few months, I learned how to not hear the tinnitus and since than things go pretty good.

Nowadays, I still go out often and for me the simple foam earplugs work out great. Sine I'm pretty self-conscious, I always put the plugs deep in my ear so not everybody can see them, but still people come up to me with '' What do You have in your Eaaarsss !? Whyyy !? You think the music is loud !? '' and so on and so on. Now, after 5 years, I'm so tired of these questions about tinnitus every time I go to a party or event.

So I was wondering, are there more people out here who prefer their earplugs are not too prominent present, and if so, what are your tricks and tips to mask your earplug? I once paint my black, the colour of the ear hole, and that worked out pretty good :)

Peace and love,
      Koenraad

27. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Koenraad. You can get custom molded earplugs that are clear and made to fit in your ear. and not noticeable. The downside is that they can be expensive. I use inexpensive Etymotic ear filtered ear plugs. They are not nearly as noticeable as foam earplugs. Just a little tip may stick out but not noticeable unless looking for it.

28. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Koenraad, I got a custom fit earplugs with same skin color (light brown) and foam plugs Hearos Brand with the same color as my skin, I also got Alpine Safe Pro musician's ear plugs it is less noticeable too. People will still sometimes notice...but I don't care anymore what they think, its better to be safe than sorry.

Peter

29. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I know this is not really the answer you were looking for but the last concert I attended I just wore a light beanie cap and nobody did ask a thing :) Then again, it was november...

30. Shuffle
      Gloomy

Shuffle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Heavy Metal & Machinery
      Can also reccomend the ER20s listed above. Worked brilliantly at preventing post gig Tinitus... until I forgot them!