Heartbeat/Pulse in Head When Exercising

Discussion in 'Support' started by sgriggs3, Aug 31, 2016.

1. sgriggs3

sgriggs3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss in right ear.
      Hello everyone,

New to the forum but not to tinnitus. I first experienced tinnitus when I developed sudden sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear 2 years ago. It took a month to get used to the ringing and hearing loss in my right ear, but I've learned to cope.

What I wanted to ask today was about the heartbeat or pulse in my head when exerting myself or during exercise. I'm a very active person and love to lift weights and run. For as long as I can remember (even before i was developed SSHL in my right ear) whenever my pulse rate gets up after some strenuous exercise, I can hear my heartbeat inside my head. It also can happen if I stand up to quickly but only last for a second or two. It doesn't really sound like it's coming from one of my ears (I could be wrong), more so inside my head. It's kind of like a pounding, thud.. thud..thud but no headache and doesn't really bother me. It usually stops after my pulse rate lowers in a few seconds. I've always assumed this was normal for everyone when exercising and never thought much about it. It wasn't until I learned about pulsatile tinnitus that I became concerned. So my question is, is this normal? Or could this in fact be pulsatile tinnitus that I've always had?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I had the same thing happen to me as the OP (ever since I was a kid, no T at all at that time).
      I also always thought it is a normal thing.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sgriggs3

sgriggs3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      undecided, have you ever asked a Dr. or anyone else about this? I always thought this was normal to have a "thudding" heartbeat inside your head when your pulse rate rises. It never even occurred to me until now that it could be abnormal. I'm starting to worry about it.

4. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      No, never asked a doctor about it. It just seemed like something not to worry about.
      After 30 seconds, when the pulse was back to normal, silence.
      It still happens to me, when I work hard... But now, when I slow down, baseline tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sgriggs3

sgriggs3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I wonder if I should bring this up to my Dr or if this is me being a hypochondriac. Everything online sounds like it's vascular related which is scary. I'm like you the, mine is only existent when my heart rate is elevated during exercise, then subsides quickly as my pulse lowers.