Hello — 5th Week

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tari, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Tari

Tari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello

I've been reading and watching on here since the dreadful T started. I would like to share my story and get some advice. Sorry for the long post - please just don't read it if it's too long and boring. For context, as a child I constantly had blocked ears and infections and had 3 myringotomy operations and lots of penicillin. As an adult I have had ear infections and blocked ears intermittently whenever I get a cold, but not every time.

My current problems began in October 2015 when I noticed a persistent dry cough. I went to the doctor who sent me for x rays to rule out lung cancer. The x rays came back clear so I didn't go back to the doctor and assumed it would go away. In February 2016 I got a really bad dose of flu - proper flu, not just a heavy cold. I was ill for at least two weeks but had blocked ears for many weeks afterwards. I took Sudafed to try and clear my ears. I got T for the very first time in April. It was awful, I was very scared and panicked . I went to the doctor and she said there was no cure, just get used to it. She said to try Beconase nasal spray as it might help. Fortunately the T disappeared as suddenly as it came after a couple of weeks. I assumed it was due to blocked ears.

However the cough got worse and I developed a hacking morning cough as well as a dry persistent daytime cough. People noticed and kept telling me to get it checked out, that's how annoying it was. The doctor gave me an asthma inhaler which actually made it worse. I had blood tests, not sure why, and antibiotics. I researched on the internet and decided I must have post nasal drip so I used the Beconase nasal spray regularly and stopped everything else. After 3 weeks the cough had disappeared and I lost the wet throat clearing and morning cough. The doctor confirmed it must be post nasal drip, probably caused by allergies. With hindsight I think it might be relevant that the cough started a few weeks after I had moved into a new office building. Funnily enough when I asked them at the beginning of the Summer, when they had last changed their air filters, the air conditioning "broke down" and we had none all through the Summer. This coincided with my using the Beconase regularly and the disappearance of the cough!

For a week or two I was happy to have got rid of all my ear, nose and throat problems, and I carried on using Beconase every day, 2 sprays, to keep the cough and post nasal drip at bay. I was devastated when T came back 5 weeks ago, for no apparent reason, and louder and more persistent than before. Panic set in and I felt there was no more joy in my life. I loved my silence - the quietness of the world when everyone had gone to bed. And I loved my sleep. I have a two tone continuous tone in my right ear. I have tried everything these last 5 weeks. In week one I went back to the doctor who said my right ear was very red and gave me ear drops. They didn't make any difference and in fact the noise increased. I also felt pressure in the ear and was aware of fluid build up. No earache pain though an occasional sharp pain in the other ear. In week 2 the doctor said she could see fluid, a bulging ear drum and said it might burst. I had a course of antibiotics. This seemed to reduce the feeling of fullness and the T started to subside. Week 3 I returned and doctor said ear is still bulging and there is fluid and still a bit red. She has referred me to ENT. Now there is a long long wait.

The T is not so loud anymore. Sometimes it seems to almost go but that may be because I have adapted? Sometimes it is as loud as before. The feeling of fluid is still there, though not as full. I have stopped the Beconase because I read that this might cause T. As a result the cough is slowly returning and I am aware of the post nasal drip again. I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried steaming as well. I'm worried that the longer the T goes on, the more likely I will have it forever and that I should make more fuss and get more urgent treatment. Is this T here to stay? Should I wait and see? If the fluid stays for too long will it damage my ear hairs permanently? Will my brain learn the sound and never forget? Help and advice (positive only) please. Thanks so much for reading all of this.

2. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since it's not due to noise it will probably not go away COMPLETELY but will be a low hiss. I know anti histamines are good for clearing up fluid everywhere. Don't take anymore antibiotics if it didn't help. Those will make you depressed and make your biome all out of normal. Maybe you should try some prednisone to reduce swelling.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tari

Tari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does prednisone work? I'll try anything.