Hello, Help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Davidlp, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Davidlp

Davidlp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello I guess I will try to explain...

Around a month ago I heard what I could only describe as the sound of a fax machine in my head...

Dr prescribed ear drops... then a steroid... none seem to have worked...

Now the noise resembles what I can only explain as after when a bomb goes off in a movie... and I have these episodes where I feel disorientated and off balance...

Can Tinnitus affect my balance?

Thank you

David

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @Davidlp, and welcome.

I would suggest speaking with a doctor. There are some things that cause symptoms like you are describing, but I do not want to list any right now as you should first speak to a doctor.

I am not an expert, but I know that there are things that can affect your balance that can also cause tinnitus. And, there are many causes for tinnitus, some associated with the ear, and the inner ear does affect balance. So, the answer to that question is "yes" in a general sense, but you should see a doctor about that so that s/he can evaluate everything and make a proper diagnosis.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not tinnitus that affects the balance, but it's correlated with things that do affect balance, like Meniere's disease.
      Tell your doctors about your balance problems. You need to diagnose it further. Sometimes a simple diet change can help, but you should be looking deeper for a better diagnosis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      I agree with Greg. You have tinnitus because of something going on that is affecting your balance, rather than tinnitus affecting your balance. You need to have an Audiologist or ENT look at your ears properly to assess for inner ear problems.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Davidlp

Davidlp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for reply, so would a ENT be the best bet?

Its not a the room is spinning kind of dizzy its more like a drunk off balance.

So hard to explain :(