Hello, Here's My Contribution

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Simon 852, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Simon 852

Simon 852 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, performing rock gigs, sinus infections
      Hi. I'm a musician and performer, lead guitarist in Dirty DC (AC/DC tribute show) touring past 15 years (ouch), have also written and recorded symphonic rock, plus soundscape and nature/relaxation music which may in hindsight have been a better career path than the rock guitar path I have followed on and off for 30 years. Now major payback time with chronic tinnitus, and hyperacusis, considering leaving the music business altogether due to the severity of my symptoms. Looking for help, advice, and support at a very difficult time.

I have tinnitus in both ears, including white noise, high pitched tones, low pulsating tone etc. Pulsatile in left (heartbeat, chewing, footsteps etc) My voice echoes round my skull and I have stopped speaking when possible, and sounds 'hurt' my ears, even 'normal' sounds can send shockwaves through me, I have hearing loss in left ear (very disturbing). History of sinus problems may be related to this horrible symptom of 'voice in head'. My two young girls' voices hurt me at certain frequencies and I've stopped wanting to play the piano with them so much, it's changing my life completely and I feel pretty desperate. Sometimes music goes out of tune for me, like a horrible 'hurdy-gurdy' type effect, it's awful! Help! Doing the usual doctors/ENT route, as I see most people do.

I too was thinking about this 'Miracle Cure' - yes it has all the clever hallmarks of a scam on the desperate, but I'd be very interested if anyone has read it and actually tried it; I presume it will be hard and involve fasting, detoxing etc which I know is not a bad thing, just hard, but I'd like to know... anyway I stumbled on this excellent website, and have joined. I know there's a lot of us out there and it's difficult to relate it to people who don't have T. Thanks, I hope to contribute further and will look through the posts. Simon

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi simon and welcome,

Yes the miracle cure is a scam. Basically anything that says cure is always a scam as unfortunately there isn't one yet.

I've had a few things the same as you, a little while ago I had the issue with the voices hurting me. It seemed to pass after a coupe, of months so may have been an infection of sorts, can't be sure though.

I took the decision a good few years back to make more chilled and relaxing music. One thing about rock music is that it's blistering on the ears, and every time you practice the dials on the amps seem to magic themselves to 11 in no time at all. And doing the more chilled stuff is still making music, doing something you love but just adapting it a little to new circumstances.

There's loads of advice on here that should help you on your search for things to help out - don't expect much from the NHS apart from a few tests. You may end up really lucky and get somebody good but the chances are slim.

Steve

3. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Simon
      Read your post and I feel for you; mine came on a year ago. Good move coming to this site (wished I had when my T hit); I found the Miracle Cure too (I've since had to fight the impulse to punch the lights out of all marketeers; nonetheless, hats off to them they can smell a money maker from miles away).

Rule of thumb; if someone claims to have a cure make sure you can see a line of 10 million people out their door; otherwise it's a scam.

I got hooked up with hearing aids with white noise generators; they are awesome. Obviously you have T and hyperacousis (loud sounds make your ears hurt); I don't have H I just have T; but my audiologist has shown me some very effective devices to deal with H. Also, I hear that one can go down after a while (ear stops swelling)

As Simon implied; stay away from general practitioners and ENTs unless you feel the need for more frustration and discouragement (they are dead on the issue). Get hooked up with a good audiologist that specializes in T.

Welcome to the group!

Mark

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. xmierce

xmierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mark,

You are so right about GP and ENTs.. I am always amazed on how little they understand T.. I feel like I need to bill them to explain what it going on and how to treat it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Simon 852

Simon 852 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, performing rock gigs, sinus infections
      Thanks Mark - I've replied to you and Steve in another post, but thanks - yes I will try the white noise generators but I wish ENT and doctors were better informed. Every time a GP sticks a microscope in my ear I sigh.. I know it's not wax causing this!

Appreciate your replies, thanks!

Now I have got to get to a gig 260 miles away..

Simon