Help! Dizzy/Lightheaded/Imbalanced Non-Stop for 3 Weeks

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dizzyhead888, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Hello,

I got tinnitus 6 weeks ago (likely stress/depression induced).

3 weeks later, I woke up with dizziness/lightheadedness and imbalance/inability to concentrate (I don't feel a spinning sensation). It has been the same case for 3 weeks.

ENT and Neurologists are unable to diagnose cause and are prescribing anti-depressants.

Any similar cases and help would be greatly appreciated.

Best.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      @Dizzyhead888 - I don't have a similar case, but if I were you I'd dig deeper and take the "stress induced" with a grain of salt.

What tests have you undergone as your doctors were trying to diagnose?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @Dizzyhead888.

Let me start by stating that I am not a doctor, nor do I have any medical training, so I am absolutely not qualified to diagnose anything. But, based on what I have read on this forum, and conversations with someone whom I care about greatly who's father has similar symptoms, you may want to research Meniere's disease, or at least ask your doctors.

Again, I have absolutely no medical training, but your symptoms do sound reminiscent of what I have read and how my friend described her father's symptoms.

You may want to search both the internet and this forum for Meniere's disease.

Also, be careful which anti-depressants you take, check the possible side-effects. There are some (I believe they are referred to here as "benzos") that can be difficult to taper off from and may result in increased tinnitus symptoms.

It is also fairly common that tinnitus can be caused, or at least exacerbated by stress.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dizzyhead888

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Thanks @GregCA.

I have seen many ENTs and Neurologists with no proper diagnosis. All claim it's anxiety and want to prescribe anti-depressants.

No hearing loss, brain MRI scan is clear, tried cortisone, betaserc, (vitamin B, Ginkgo biloba). No change.
      Thanks @Kolisar.

It might be Meniere's, but from my reading, Meniere's symptoms describe more vertigo (spinning sensation), nausea, vomiting, and fullness in the ear, which I don't have.

I have been taking Valium for a couple of weeks now which helps in sleeping and slightly reducing the tinnitus given lowers/anxiety levels. I acknowledge it's hard to taper off, but need to look for alternative ways to sleep as Melatonin is not effective.

5. Kste Adams
      Studious

Kste Adams Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMD, Noise?
      I have similar symptoms. I talked to an ENT to rule out Meniere's, and he said it's migraine-associated vertigo. I get vestibular migraines, which often start with olfactory hallucinations (smelling things that aren't there) and inability to think straight. And the symptoms can occur off and on for days or even a week. Migraines are considered a neurological condition that may or may not include a headache - just because your head doesn't hurt doesn't mean it's not a migraine. So that may be something your doctor could consider.

I started having migraines right around the time the tinnitus started. My personal opinion is that they're both symptoms of neurons not behaving the way they should, and if you have one condition, you're more likely to have the other.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Adam D

Adam D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress / Emotional Trauma
      I'm having similar symptoms.

Any update on this after a few years @Dizzyhead888?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dizzyhead888

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Read about PPPD (Persistent-Postural Perceptual Dizziness).

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lchops

Lchops Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      @Dizzyhead888, are you still suffering from PPPD? Have you done anything to help symptoms? Thanks.