Hey Guys

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Yep it's me again, after a few months of being not online, life's pretty busy I must say. I'm gonna try and keep it short :). A short update on health is that it's the same as when i first realised, no impact upon myself after being aware back in Feb. So yeah, not being online since July, and truthfully, I don't think about Tinnitus anymore(at all), so from this you can imply, "i don't care" :). As for life, I have 6 exams this year, some surrounding the science department :) maths, and all sorts, so as you can imagine im very busy this year, so for that reason, i won't be active as much, but for the next few days I can stick around for any chats/comments/questions. Thanks. -Mario

• Like Like x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Mario Hi! I'm so glad you're back to normal. Do you still hear your tinnitus? I tend to hear mine most of the day, even when it's very light. I don't "listen" for it, but it seems to be there. I'd like to just forget about it. Did you do anything special to help you habituate? Was it just an "I don't care" attitude--which is a good strategy?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Thanks :) I wouldn't say I "hear" it but I'd describe as a discreet soft sound that occurs, but it definitely feels not like than having tinnitus as some people make out in that manner. The attitude thing, well, in life it's always good to have determination, not in a sense that to "not listen out for it" but to just to shrink the tinnitus down, and from this I got the "I don't care" attitude. I'd say it's a good strategy, very good indeed, for people like myself and im sure loads around, it takes more of a character than actual medicine to beat tinnitus, because like tinnitus, it comes from the brain, like our minds, so i think of it as a mind battle. But it seems to be that you see a lot of people lingering, chatting/dicussing about cures/treatments as such that don't do the thing that everyone wants, resulting this, you kinda think that they haven't got used(habituated) to there tinnitus, which draws us over back to our own characters.

• Like Like x 2
    4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Mario Good advice! I agree that sometimes--in trying to help ourselves--we reinforce our tinnitus sounds. You can't, of course, "will it away." It's not that easy. Through benign neglect, however, this "not caring" attitude is probably essential for achieving habituation.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Yeah of course you've summed up what i've been trying to say. With it being harder for others, you'd have to go more in depth, unlike myself I was quite lucky I did it straight handed and deal it with it myself. So I cannot really express what others go through but when you medicate someone who has bad tinnitus, are you medicating there tinnitus, or there problems revolving around it, example - depression. So with treatments as such, which goes back to my last comment, but in simple words, people just don't settle as each as others.... unfortunately