Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by andi73, Dec 20, 2014.

1. andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      Hi there, I am a new member, but not a stranger to tinnitus. What is different this time is the duration of my ringing.

The first time i got it was 17 when I experienced some hearing loss in my left ear at a disco. The tinnitus lasted about a week while fading.

I have experienced tinnitus off and on, all through my 20s and 30s, as I am a musician. It never lasted more than a few days, with a softening of the condition very obvious especially on the last day. over the past year I decided to use ear plugs, silicon when I was playing music. The last gig I did without them was 3 weeks ago, and the ringing decided to stay this time. I am upset that having taken the precautions I got this thing the one time I didnt take them with me to the gig. (yes I am a musician).

This afternoon I was thinking about how to get used to it. It is not a very pleasant thought, although I am not panicking about it, it is unnerving me. High pitched and in both ears. There still is a chance that I will get some improvement in the volume, I would even accept that I will have to put up with a degree of the high pitched noise. I would like to think that it will come down a bit in volume. It is noticeable even when watching tv, although not as bad as it is when alone in bed or in the car etc.

Thanks in advance for advice, I look forward to some support.

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Given your recent onset, and depending on your location, you could consider enrolling in AM-101.

(http://www.tinnitus-study.info/)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      I am not based in any of the countries listed. I am interested in hearing from fellow tinnitus sufferers. I came across an article about soundcure, based in silicon valley in the usa. Has anyone else heard of them?

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      I am a bit more settled about things today. Despite the ringing in the morning, which seems to be when you are at the most aware stage of it, I am getting on with things, trying to ignore it as best, and that way eventually get to the stage where I am aware of it less and less, or at least less intimidated by it. I can understand how people could be swept away by this, so I think this is the best habit I can get into now rather than encourage inward looking strategies.

Gud luck everyone. I will post here in about another month to let people know how I feel and how I am acclimatizing to this thing.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      andi73

andi73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26/11/2014
      Well i decided to do my update a little earlier than planned. I have already come to terms with what has happened. There is a high whinge in my ears that is persistent, and most noticeable when the room is quiet. It has reduced dramatically in volume over the last 10 days, but this could be as much to do with accepting it and trying to forget about it than the opposite. It was so noisy 3 weeks ago, I could hear it over running taps etc. I went to the doctor and there seems to be only one strategy, that being masking (as well as CBT).

So seeing I improved over the past week, I am going to continue my strategy of just forgetting it (if that is possible), and then seeing results from this. So far so good. I am not thrilled by this choice, but in the long run it will save me a lot of needless worry and money.

I hope you guys do well. Stay strong.