Hi from Oz

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chappy, May 6, 2016.

1. Chappy

Chappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud machinery
      Hi everyone, Chappy here from Perth, Australia. I'm a very long term Tinnitus sufferer. Going on 22 years. It took me about 5 years to get used to it. I was always told there's no cure and just need to learn how to live with it so i had.
      My T is a constant ringing in both ears. It's made worse by lack of sleep, stress, caffeine and of course, loud noises. The last few months has been unbearable, like when i first got it and im almost at breaking point. My GP is sending me for an MRI so will see what happens the re.
      I found out about a treatment called COLD LASER THERAPY. Has anyone heard about this or had it done? I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced it and what success. Thanks. I'm glad i found this forum. Need help.

2. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chappy

Chappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud machinery
      Thanks Aussie Lea,
      Pretty useful stuff. I hadn't seen or heard anything about LLLT before and wondered why both Medicare and HBF don't cover anything financially. Was it not Government approved??
      Back to just dealing with it for now.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness

welcome to the forum :)

I have had tinnitus just a tad bit more than you, do understand that tinnitus/hearing gets worst with age. Go and have an MRI but don't be scared.

Be well :)

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Perhaps an audiogram too ...

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      LLLT is not a scam since no one claims to be able to cure chronic tinnitus with it..which would be a scam because its not a chronic tinnitus cure.

It does have a scientifically proven effect on nerve healing - there are many independent studies on it and nerve damage is one of the cause of hearing damage along with hair cells - LLLT also helps bring more energy to the cells which can help for recent acoustic trauma perhaps.

I'd say its worth a try if you suffer from Hyperacusis or had recent noise exposure which affected your hearing range.
      Since I started it - and I just bought my own device.. not going to any place to be "scammed" my H went from being a disability affecting my work to being non-existent at least to normal sounds..under 60db ..and I am not done yet I consider this a one year long project.

Sounds like dishes clashing, noisy beeps from devices at homes etc..those were painful to my ears but no more so this is a huge improvement.

My audiogram shows improvements of about 20% in hearing range at 4khz where my biggest drop was, which is roughly what you can get provided the noise exposure is recent and treatment done correclty.

Baseline constant T is still there - its not a T cure so I did not have the expectation that it will cure it but it does sound less noisy and I do have the occasional near silence times which I did not have at first.
      It did help lessen the reactive T part though, the type of T which goes up when some frequencies set it off like TV, phone calls and such.

7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      They cannot see the condition of the inner ear in a MRI, unless you suspect other causes than noise damage I don't see the point. MRI are very noisy too.

8. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      The laser clinic here in Adelaide offers tinnitus treatment and part of it is covered by Medicare.
      When I enquired about 4 years ago it was around $7000 but about half was covered by Medicare.
      I just don't have courage to try.
      @Dave AUS have you rang recently? Any new info?