Hi. I Am 14 and I Am New to Tinnitus. I Really Need to Know What Is Happening?

Elijah Nash

Author
Oct 31, 2014
Tinnitus Since
10/2014
Just 3 days ago, I started have a ringing in my ear and so I searched it up and found it was tinnitus. After that day, I observe more and my ear still ringing. So, I went to the doctor and he said I have subjective tinnitus and that it was going to go down in a week or so. And , I am going to have people do some lab reports on my thyroid tomorrow. I am very anxious person(I have anxiety,panic disorder) and I kind of get a lack of sleep.
So, does anybody know if I am going to stick with this forever. And, I don't really listen to loud music nor go to concerts. Can anybody help me?

Absolutelly the best thing you can do now is leave all the T forums, find fun things to do that will take your mind off from tinnitus and enjoy your life. You DO NOT want to 'teach your mind' to be aware ot T...

I am very anxious person(I have anxiety,panic disorder) and I kind of get a lack of sleep. So, does anybody know if I am going to stick with this forever. And, I don't really listen to loud music nor go to concerts. Can anybody help me?

Based on your "medical history" ie. anxiety, I am wondering if you have been on any drugs for a certain period of time. There are drugs out there which can cause tinnitus as a consequence of the drugs themselves - or as a consequence of wrong tapering.

And , I am going to have people do some lab reports on my thyroid tomorrow.

Checking the thyroid is the "last item" on the list of possible causes - but is of course worthwhile doing, but still... seems like your doc is "shooting from the hip"; see answer above.

So, I went to the doctor and he said I have subjective tinnitus and that it was going to go down in a week or so.

No one can say whether tinnitus will go away or not. It depends entirely on the etiology. And until that has been established, it's a best guess.

I would highly suggest you see a therapist to work to control and possibly cure your anxiety/panic disorder. It is crucial to your recovery from tinnitus,since there is probably no other explanation.
p.s. make sure you work with a CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) therapist, or a psychologist. You can also tell your parents to let you try
Bio-feedback therapy as an alternative drug free therapy for anxiety.
All these therapies are medication free - that's what you wanna do now.
Good luck and keep safe.

Just 3 days ago, I started have a ringing in my ear and so I searched it up and found it was tinnitus. After that day, I observe more and my ear still ringing. So, I went to the doctor and he said I have subjective tinnitus and that it was going to go down in a week or so. And , I am going to have people do some lab reports on my thyroid tomorrow. I am very anxious person(I have anxiety,panic disorder) and I kind of get a lack of sleep.
So, does anybody know if I am going to stick with this forever. And, I don't really listen to loud music nor go to concerts. Can anybody help me?

14 with tinnitus!? That's horrible, way horrible! I feel really sorry for you..How loud is the tinnitus? On a scale of 1-10 and can you hear it over everything, or is it easily masked?

Do you wear ear buds? Did you go to a concert or fireworks?

Elijah,

We all wish you well, and understand what you're going through! Could you please update us after your doctor's tests? I have an underactive thyroid myself, and it may be a possible cause of tinnitus, but not too likely.

It's possible your tinnitus will subside, or at least settle down, on its own. You've only had tinnitus for a short period of time, and it's possible that things could improve. Take care, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best wishes and hugs,
Karen

Elijah,

We all wish you well, and understand what you're going through! Could you please update us after your doctor's tests? I have an underactive thyroid myself, and it may be a possible cause of tinnitus, but not too likely.

It's possible your tinnitus will subside, or at least settle down, on its own. You've only had tinnitus for a short period of time, and it's possible that things could improve. Take care, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best wishes and hugs,
Karen
Thank you,
I have an overactive thyroid.

Elijah,

Is the doctor going to be doing anything to treat your overactive thyroid? Overactive thyroid can cause lots of symptoms, including nervousness, inability to sleep, etc. It could have a possible connection with your tinnitus. I hope you find some answers soon!

Elijah,

Is the doctor going to be doing anything to treat your overactive thyroid? Overactive thyroid can cause lots of symptoms, including nervousness, inability to sleep, etc. It could have a possible connection with your tinnitus. I hope you find some answers soon!
Yes, I am going to my doctor Monday and he should get a better look on it
But the overactive thyroid have been kind of annoying with the
Tachycardia and panic disorder.

Elijah,

I really hope your doctor can help you. If you can get the overactive thyroid under control, it's possible that your tinnitus will subside, too.

I can see why you have tachycardia and panic disorder. Having hyperthyroidism could cause all that.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

Hey there!
So, I went to the doctor and he said I have subjective tinnitus and that it was going to go down in a week or so.
By the looks of it, your doctor seems pretty sure that your tinnitus won't last. Usually doctors are pretty straight up, because if they sugar-coat the truth too much, they'll ruin their reputation. Hopefully that helps with the worrying a bit, but don't feel bad if it doesn't because having an anxiety disorder is rough sometimes! Just avoid beating yourself up. It'll be over soon. :)

I have an overactive thyroid.
Did your tinnitus get better from the thyroid medication? I just started 15 mg of Methimazole for hyperactive thyroid. My tinnitus was manageable for the past four years but the past month and a half it's been tearing me down.

Hello Elijah,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've developed tinnitus at such a young age. As other people have commented before nobody can really predict whether a person's tinnitus will eventually taper off or stay for good, but I really, really hope that your doctor is right and that it only is a temporary occurrence for you.

It's good that you did your research and you know what you are dealing with but don't dig in too deeply. I'd suggest for you to get your parents involved, if they aren't already, and have them look into the information available here or on other forums. If your tinnitus doesn't dissolve you will need their understanding and support and in order for them to give it they will have to know what it means to live your life with tinnitus. Which is especially important because, you being a minor, they will be the ones talking to your doctors and it really is important to be prepared when doing so because there are still so many knowledge gaps and misunderstandings when it comes to tinnitus / invisible illnesses.

I know it is hard to stay positive and go out and do things if your head / ears are ringing 24/7 but give it your best shot. You are at an age where there are still so many new and exciting things for you to learn and do and discover, so please go ahead and learn, do and discover and try to not let anything hold you back!

Lots of love and positive energy,
Leila

Hello Elijah,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've developed tinnitus at such a young age. As other people have commented before nobody can really predict whether a person's tinnitus will eventually taper off or stay for good, but I really, really hope that your doctor is right and that it only is a temporary occurrence for you.

It's good that you did your research and you know what you are dealing with but don't dig in too deeply. I'd suggest for you to get your parents involved, if they aren't already, and have them look into the information available here or on other forums. If your tinnitus doesn't dissolve you will need their understanding and support and in order for them to give it they will have to know what it means to live your life with tinnitus. Which is especially important because, you being a minor, they will be the ones talking to your doctors and it really is important to be prepared when doing so because there are still so many knowledge gaps and misunderstandings when it comes to tinnitus / invisible illnesses.

I know it is hard to stay positive and go out and do things if your head / ears are ringing 24/7 but give it your best shot. You are at an age where there are still so many new and exciting things for you to learn and do and discover, so please go ahead and learn, do and discover and try to not let anything hold you back!

Lots of love and positive energy,
Leila
The member that you are addressing has not been on this site for seven years.

The member that you are addressing has not been on this site for seven years.
Thanks for pointing that out, I must not have paid close enough attention to the date the original post was published when I sent my reply :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now