High-frequency beeeep in headphones :-(

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karianne, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I have just posted about my worries due to a karaoke event and while searching the internet for masking sounds I came over a site with several different frequenzies. I tried the out with good quality headphones on very low volume until i came to one I could not hear. I turned the volume up quite a bit and I heard a loud beep so i quickly turned it off as i realised it was in the same frequenzy as my hearing loss and that was why I couldnt hear it at a low volume. Would a quick burst have damaged my hearing event more? Or would it need more than half a second. I stress out over this and my anxiety are worse tha ever.

2. Cassidy
      Wishful

Cassidy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress Overdrive
      I'm pretty sure it would take more than a few seconds. I wouldn't worry too much about it :) although I know how annoying anxiety can get. You'll be fine !!

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Is your T higher? Or are your ears sore or muffled? If not, I would doubt it. Sounds like you are really just having some paranoid thoughts about making it worse. I doubt a couple of seconds very slightly higher than your T in volume could do anything permanent.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      It's kinda hard to say since its really loud now anyway. And my ears have been sore for a while and I have kind of a muffled hearing due to my hearing loss... I might be all in my head... I don't know. Im so stressed out.

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Karianne Why do you need to know the sound level? Habituation is the goal. As far as I can tell when I relapse is goes to high. I know and you know what it is like to habituate. Karianne time and less anxiety we will habituate again!

P.S. no more headphones

6. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      It's in your head, sounds like to me anyway. If you can't tell that's it's worse right after, I'm sure you are good. Where is your hearing loss? At what frequecy?

7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have hearing loss too, above 10khz, I can't hear at all. This is where my T is replaced.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I dont remember what frequency, as I dont have my audiogram here. But it is in the higher ranges and thats why I didn't hear the sound until I really cranked it up. It came in a pulse so I turned it higher than i would have needed to and it gave me quite the shock. I didnt get any soreness or muffeled hearing right away I think but now a few days after I feel it is worse. Although I felt that after the karaoke event too...
      Tinnitus is such a tricky thing since its so closely attached to ones feelings and so hard to really know if its louder pr softer.

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I made my T and hearing worse a couple of times... Both times I could feel pain right after, like my ears were bleeding. I didn't know after getting T that I would have glass ears so didn't protect at the beginning like I should have.

10. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I went to a T workshop and was encouraged to not overprotect and get back to life! Kinda bit me in the ass. One time was at a grocery store, the other was a puck off the glass by my head in hockey. Like I say both times extreme pain, like my ear drum ruptured or something.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I couldn't really tell if it was worse right away, but it was painful but not so much that I really thought I had caused damage at the time. But I listened to it again at a lower volume and then I started thinking about it and how loud it must have and now my ears hurt and my T is rampant.

12. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I freaked myself out today.. Was drying my hair in a rush to get to work..only like 3 mins tops cause i had to leave and afterwards i was worried cause i didnt wear plugs like i usually do therefore tryed to listen so hard for my T and then was thinking omg did it get louder but it didnt it was all in my head and just my anxiety acting up cause of my thinking. This tends to happen alot but we cant help it we have to deal with worrying bout noise thats EVERYWHERE!!! So no worries. I think we would really know if we fucked shit up!

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      But this was at a really high frequency. Wouldnt that be worse than the same volume at a lower frequency? I can listen to that volume on a lower frequency without experiencing any discomfort.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      The more I think about it the more my ears hurt and I feel like my T has sort of changed. I just want it to go back to the time where I didnt pay it any attention. Its like trying not to think about bicycle...

15. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I started smoking for anxiety...oops again, ototoxic and blocks the oxygen to the ears. Looking at anti anxiety meds..ototoxic too! Damn...we sure can't do much without potentially making this worse! Kill the anxiety, risk your ears. Hmmm. Go out and live life, risk our ears to everyday noise. Protect them to much and develop hyperacusis. Tricky

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      What is different now? Why the relapse? Just the worry? Or really a spike? Sounds like just worry to me?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      You might be right since I am panicking. But the sound was loud and piercing like cricket in my ear and when I think about it I get an anxiety attack. This sucks.

18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ive smoked for 7 years.. Still smoke a pack a day.. I take klonopin and
      Either Of them ever spiked my T but the smoking Sure is killin my lungs. Either way im not quitting anytime soon. Anxiety meds will only worsen T if you withdraw too quickly from them cold turkey, otherwise there safe.

19. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma

Yeah that's kinda what I read, just skeptical of mind altering chemicals. I will prob have to cave as my anxiety is through the roof! Bad bad all the time. Never had anxiety before T, it's awful not feeling at ease. In the past I could step back and think. This is relentless!

I love smoking! I haven't smoked for ages, great habit minus the health thing! Haha.

20. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I feel you, trust me! Just try and relax. I have always been calm and cool but this T thing is pretty tough. I have major anxiety most the time. Huge attacks in the morning. But I'm trying to keep strong mentally. I find being around friends or family tough but it helps at the end of the day. Go for lunch with a friend. Go sit with family, being alone makes my anxiety spike. Go for a walk with a friend. Just do something even of it's tough. I should take my own advise more. I think you are fine, you have done it before! That has got to give you confidence!

21. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Do not try to mask your T by turning up the volume! Use sound therapy as a distraction, a low volume under the level of your T.

22. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think in extreme situations masking can be ok. I realize this is not the way to get habituated but at certain times especially if anxiety is out of control, it can give you that break you need. I mask with music, the rest of the time nothing will mask so I guess I have no choice in the matter but to get used to this noise.

23. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      S
      seriously, T is no fun and the anixety that comes with it. Get on some anxiety meds like klonopin or xanax.. It will calm your nerves and help through the process of habutation. Wont hurt! :)

24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think I may have to! Did you get your life back 100 percent after habituation. I hear the term a lot but I don't quite fully understand what it means.

himk

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Karianne

Karianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I got my life back more than 100% the first time although there are things I stopped doing like going to loud concerts and stuff but I have never really missed that so it wasn't a problem. I rarely paid attention to my tinnitus in the last 4 or 5 years so it's a big contrast to how I'm feeling now. Hopefully I will shake this and my T will either calm down ore I will get used the higher volume of it, but now I'm very distressed and afraid.

26. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Karianne I feel like you're writing the story of my T. 6 years, 100% habituated, never thought about it. Went to clubs and concerts with earplugs and everything was fine. Took antibiotics and T spiked :( My anxiety level is down and so is the louder, new T...

• Like Like x 1
    27. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Fear is the worst part of all this, I think, that's what really did me in! I'm still afraid after 7 months, but slowly, very slowly getting less anxious. I was at a 10 for anxiety, now I'm a 9 to 9 1/2. Not much progress but it's something. Hope things keep heading in this direction. I've had some challenges and faced adversity in my life but nothing like this. Guess it takes time. My tinnitus is tough, both ears and lots of screeches, clicks, etc. gets so loud it hurts my head!! Hope you can squash some of the fear somehow! You are not alone in the fear department! Stay strong.

28. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      What kind of antibiotics?

29. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Jay M clarithromycin (under the name BIAXIN in Canada). I thought it was penicillin and since I had taken penicillin in the past without any problems, I took Biaxin also... I knew about ototoxic meds and antibiotics and didn't check if Biaxin was on the list. It was... but the reports I've read say that it's ototoxic when given at high doses in the veins...but it's bull...because I took 1000mg X 7 days and my T went throught the roof in both ears. I could hear it over the shower just to give you an idea (and my baseline from 2007 to 2014 was very low, I hardly heard it in a quiet room)... Now it went down (thankfully) but it still is reactive, I hear new tones and have earfullness.

it sucks!!

30. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Which antibiotics did u take ?what was the dosa wana duration ?