High-Frequency Sound Like an Old TV or Dog Whistle?

Discussion in 'Support' started by earsnothappy, Jun 9, 2014.

1. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      My tones have been shifting ever since it started a month ago, now I'm having really high frequency tones in the middle of my head. The tones remind me of an old TV or CRT computer monitor...or maybe even like a dog whistle.

Has anyone else had early on? Is this most likely going to go away or is this a tone that can stick?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    2. WestCoastGirl85
      Buzzed

WestCoastGirl85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic ear drops getting into inner ear canal
      I had had the same TV tone since my T started

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Same for me. High-pitched like an old CRT signal. In my opinion very difficult to habituate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. chronicburn
      Confused

chronicburn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Thats the same tone i've been experiencing, and the first week of T i also had a very loud whistling tone like a flute playing the highest note, luckily that went away, and came back a few days later, and went away again, for good this time i hope.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Salt
      Cowboy

Salt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/22/2014
      This is the major remaining component of my T (noise induced) as well. Luckily its gone down... i've been doing HBOT and i hope the last few sessions will reduce it more.

6. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @earsnothappy
      Yes, I have high frequency tones. Seems to be very common based on my perusing of this forum.

7. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      My T is ultra high frequency like dog whistle. It used to drive my brain into panic attacks on auto mode, such an unearthly sound. Once my family asked me how high was the pitch. I played a youtube video clip with the match of similar high pitch sound to them. Instantly they screamed and covered their ears running away. Seeing their reaction made me realize how unbearable was the pitch to a normal person and I learned to forgive myself for having such a hard time with this ringing initially.

It is amazing that the brain is able to harden to such a high pitch tone after a while and now it doesn't give a dime to it even I wake up most mornings with T blasting away. A few years back I would think this is unthinkable. If you read Dr. Nagler's own struggle with his T initially, then you know that most people go through the similar tough stretch at the start. With a good approach and given time, it is possible to habituate to intrusive T. So never give up hope.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Salt
      Cowboy

Salt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/22/2014
      Does anyone know what frequency range this sound sits in? A lot of the new sound therapies require notching out (ultraquiet, notched white noise) or configuring frequencies around it (neuromodulation) to achieve RI and take advantage of neural plasticity to eventually reduce their T. Since this sound seems to oscillate it's hard to pin down. I have another tone around 12350hz that seems to quiet down most of the time, but I would like to start dealing with the static-tv tone, I just don't know how to pin down the frequency!

9. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      @Salt - have you visited the ATA's website, "Sounds of Tinnitus"?? Here's a link;

http://www.ata.org/sounds-of-tinnitus

Mine matches perfectly with the 7500 hz tone. 24/7. Sucks, but I have mostly habituated. :)

I hope you find some relief soon, and ideally that it goes away. In the meantime, stay connected here on TT!! (y)

Jeff

:rockingbanana:

10. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      @earsnothappy - (nice avatar!!) You should check out the ATA website as well!! (y)

11. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      billie48, your support and comments in this forum really brighten my days. I start seeing things differently and try to find joy through the suffering. I am dealing with pulsatile tinnitus for 4 months now. everyday is a struggle but I try to be grateful, compassionate and forgiving towards others and myself. thanks for your words.

12. Salt
      Cowboy

Salt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/22/2014
      Hey @Jeff M.

Thanks for the words, i feel like i am on the way to it being habituated. Sound is my work so i am often just tuning into the ambient sounds of a room and i find it really distracting. Theres only a slight tonal quality to it at all, which only really comes out at night or in the morning, or when i'm very tired. Its mostly an oscillating static sound, not heavy static, but like theres a loose connection that chirps every 2 seconds or so. If i visualize it, it seems like theres one or two loose wires that arc a static signal and then lose it. I'd like to try ultra quiet, but you are supposed to notch out your frequency and i can't seem to match this static sound. When i do Neuromodulation for 10 min or so on the tonal freq - 12500 - the static becomes more clear without the tonal quality, so it leads me to believe its a higher freq then 12500.

Thanks!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      using this page I found my frequencies..
      http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/

My high frequency tone is at about the 15k limit of the page.

My mid tone is about 3k

And then I have a tone a bit lower around 2k.

These for me change on almost a daily basis, a few days ago my mid tone was around 4k.

I startin this thread I was really hoping the high frequency tones would be ones that go away, but apparently they are tones that can stick.

Thank you everyone for your comments!

14. Katkin

Katkin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2013
      Hi, I'm struggling to pinpoint my frequencies. I think my highest is somewhere between 10 and 14 KHz, this tone tends to materialise every four to five days incorporating a hiss/buzz and is the T element that I find causes the most distress, and only goes after a good night's sleep, I can hear it over almost any other (real) sound and find it quite sharp and distressing, with frequent sharp chinking sounds. I have a lower hhmmmmm type of tone in a much lower frequency that I only hear occasionally if it is quiet and this tone no longer causes me distress as I do not fear it any longer. I am wondering if I hear the higher tone more and for longer because I do fear it and therefore my brain keeps it cycling, as opposed to not fearing the lower tone and hardly ever hearing it - bringing to mind habituation of reaction leading to habituation of perception (meaning not hearing it at all, or very infrequently without distress). Best wishes to all of you for our flaming T to go completely xx

15. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Like a dog whistle. Yes, that is what my head is doing.
      I also listened to the tea keattle sound on the ATA side. Dr. Nagler has this which is also no fun hearing this 24/7.
      But as it looks like, one can become unaware of these sounds. Sounds like a miracle to me.

16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Mines 12-15khz, multiple sounds, both ears, feels like it bounces around my brain. Tough to get used to the high tones. I am sitting typing with almost no background noise and I seem to be doing ok though. I don't really try and mask, too high up for everyday sounds to cover. I just try and work with it.

17. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thank you Laura for the kind words. I don't own any personal credit though. I believe the collective wisdom of this forum is a 'well of miracle healing' to all those who come here for support with an open mind. Each contributing member imparts their experience and wisdom of living and overcoming their T to help out the struggling members at large. This is a kind and supportive community indeed. I am glad that you are beginning to find joy amid the suffering. It is a powerful approach indeed to counter the darkness T can inflict on our life. Take good care Laura.

18. Roko

Roko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      I have that same sound in my ears,cannot sleep for more than few hours and when I'm in a room with old tv the sound gets unbearable..It increases by double i would say...does anyone else has this kind of problem?
      Was anyone able to habituate with this frequency?

19. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      That's my one, had it from the start. Just like an old TV, static, I've not habituated and no idea if I ever will. I can't do thing like arch TV even though I have the TV on as its too intrusive to concentrate in much.

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      for what it's worth I have this exactly and my sleep is now completely normal. For instance last night I went to bed at about 11:15, I was asleep by 11:45, slept until 7:30 when I had to pee really badly, and then somehow went back to sleep instead of getting off my ass and going to work.

I don't know if it's really productive for me to be routinely sleeping for 10-11 hours a day, but I am happy to say I am able to do so without any fans or other white noise, tinnitus be damned.

My sleep was severely impacted at the beginning of all of this; then I went back on benzos which knocked down the T and of course solved the sleep problems, then when I came off the benzos I had the worst insomnia of my life for weeks on end, and somehow after getting through that experience intact, the tinnitus is not a problem to my sleep anymore.

I find that the high frequency oscillating tones themselves often change/reduce if I can spend a few days in a very quiet, natural environment away from traffic, planes, cell towers, etc -- and I'm working on setting my life up to just live someplace like that full time -- but, even in the chaos of my urban condo and relatively fast paced lifestyle, my sleep is back to normal.

• Like Like x 2
    21. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Totally respect. I would love to have that level of sleep with this.

I think my anxiety about it all is adding to my problems and I have always been a poor sleeper, I sleep meds etc

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Me too, my problems with sleep and anxiety about sleep predate my tinnitus by several years at least (and I've been dealing with tinnitus to some degree since I was a teenager 15 years ago).

So, it IS possible to completely change your relationship with sleep in spite of tinnitus. It's hard, parts of it were miserable, but if I can do it then anyone can because I don't see myself as an especially resilient or brilliant person.

The things that helped me with the sleep issue are: regular vigorous exercise, daily meditation, CBT.

23. Martin69
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Evian
      I have loud, high-pitched T like an old CRT TV.
      Can hear it over everything, even in the shower (oftentimes).
      But sleep is relief. Brain parts which make T shut down when you sleep.
      So it is not T making the sleep problem, but anxiety and all the thoughts around T.
      Try getting only to bed when you are really tired.
      As a sleep aid I take Remeron. But I was always a robust sleeper.
      You can sleep with T like without T. :sleep:

24. Roko

Roko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      How long did it took you to habituate, and does the ringing changes the sound or is it always the same frequency like mine...I'm 21 and new to T also i don't know what caused mine..I can get about a few hours of sleep I would say 5-6 tops when I'm using melatonin, before that i would just struggle in the bed for a whole night without sleeping, so i don't believe i could fall asleep without it...how long did you took benzos and for how long you've had your sleeping problem..also do you think meditation and cbt brought you to habituation and wich helped more??
      Btw. Thanks for the post it means a lot to hear encouraging texts like this
      Cheers

25. Roko

Roko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Were you able to sleep at the beginning and how?That's my main problem, to get a good night's sleep..What helped you to habituate and how long did it took you?
      Btw thanks for the encouraging words it means a lot to all T sufferers.

26. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      No I wasn't able to sleep nor sleep long enough. I had to sleep by the shower with the tap turned on just to able to relax more. Lucky in Vancouver here we don't pay water bill by the meter, just one flat fee per year. LOL. It took me about a year approx. to get some control of myself emotionally, and I had to depend on benzos, ADs and sleeping pills. So it was a tough time. If a panic prone person like me can turn around and live a happy and normal life, have faith that you can too. Just stay positive, give it time, and let mother time and your body do the healing. If you copy some success strategies from others, you can speed up the recovery. So read up the success stories. Take care & God bless.

27. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I have the exact same old CRT TV tone in my ears since the beginning. Sometimes it would change to "rice falling" from some height sound but mostly its TV tone. It's probably nerve damage thing I guess

Loats of antioxidants, high potency multivitamin, B6 & B12, turmeric pills, high doses of omega 3 fishoil is the answer in my opinion but it has to be taken like for a really long time to see some benefits

28. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Telis good to see you're coping better:)
      It's always encouraging to see any improvement in anyone with severe tinnitus.

29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't want to give the wrong impression; I wouldn't say I'm habituated, because I still think about T a lot, and it drives me f***!! crazy a lot of the time.

That said, my sleep has been normal for the past couple years, at least -- and, the big obstacle to that happening, was that I took benzos and other crap for a long time, and getting off the pills made the insomnia really bad. I took benzos for many years, and I was severely dependent.

It's weird; I suppose I'm 'lucky' in that given how much my T often bothers me during the day, I am able to sleep with it just fine, and even 'enjoy' laying in my bed in the dark in as close to perfect silence as I can pull off. What I really like are very quiet natural sounds -- wind, crickets, etc -- but I don't like recordings of those same sounds nearly as much, and it can be hard to find those sounds in the city. I'll move out into the country eventually, but it's taking some effort to get that all lined up.

30. Roko

Roko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      That's what i really don't understand how can it annoy you during the day, and not bother you during the night...the nights are a real problem for me...Are you able to sleep now without meds and how long do you need to fall asleep?
      Also how long did you had insomnia when you stopped with the meds?