High Pitch Ring to Hiss

Discussion in 'Support' started by ryan1234, Apr 20, 2017.

1. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      After about a month my tinnitus has gone from a high pitch ring to a not as noticeable hissing sound.

Is this a good sign that the tinnitus could resolve within the next few weeks/months?

I am assuming my tinnitus came from listening to earbuds but it came around suddenly, not after a sudden loud noise exposure. Thanks

2. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Hi ryan,

I think it is hard to say. Tinnitus doesn't really follow rules I guess.
      My tinnitus has become less loud and then louder again several times. For me, it is pretty much linked with my stress and anxiety levels. A friend of mine developed tinnitus and it was completely gone after four months.
      Most important is that you monitor your wellbeing. It is nice that your tinnitus has become less loud, but still do not monitor it. Do whatever makes you happy. :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @RudyL90 thanks for your thoughts. It's encouraging to know that your friend had it completely dissipate after four months. As you said tinnitus is unpredictable and it's best to not constantly monitor it. Obviously, I break that rule occasionally but I try my best to not worry about it. Hopefully mine goes away or reduces soon and I wish the same to you and anyone else suffering.

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Mine went from a loud pitch, now a lower pitch with a hiss.. that's as good as it got with me, however the hiss is not so bothersome when you've had it a while, the ring tho that did reduce a week after exposure is still annoying.

Interesting Rudy, I had a spike a month ago because went to a club and immediately began to obsess over the t the next day, I wonder if I didn't get a spike because of the noise but because I was obsessing that I might of caused more harm/got stressed and anxious about it and now I am perceiving it more?

• Like Like x 1
    5. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Especially in the beginning it is hard to not monitor it. But by finding distraction (especially in things that are fun to do, or at least that worked best for me), it will become easier and easier until you do not even notice it is there anymore. Then you get moments in which you suddenly realise "Huh, I have tinnitus, right? Ah, yes, there it is." And then you move whatever you were doing without being bothered. I am at that stage now. :)

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Personally I am still only one month into the tinnitus so I am still hoping it will go away or at least reduce to barely audible levels. Time will tell

• Like Like x 1
    7. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      I think that's definitely a good sign. That's what my spikes do. I'll get pure tone sounds in my ears which gradually fade away and then become loud hissing and then it goes back to my baseline T. That said, protect your ears going forward. You don't want to be put into a place where the high pitch ring becomes permanent.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @racerfish since the tinnitus has only been noticeable for the past month I have been very careful to protect my ears. Hopefully this will increase chances of recovery. If I'm lucky enough to have the tinnitus disappear/significantly reduce I will be sure to take your advice and always protect my ears. Either way obviously even if I see no improvements I will protect my ears. Thanks for your thoughts

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ryan1234
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @racerfish also curious as to what baseline t means for you. Obviously everybody's baseline can differ

10. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      Baseline for me is a moderate hiss. I had a couple of bad spikes a couple months ago with pure tones that lasted on and off for more than two weeks.

• Like Like x 1
    11. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Jastreboff et al. have measured the sound level of tinnitus in different people on different times and found that regardless of how bothered they were by the sound, the volume change over time lay within the error of the measurement (if I remember correctly). In other words, it is indeed very likely that you perceive the T more because you are anxious about it. If you think that your T will be louder after going out, you will monitor it more and your brain will automatically amplify it for you.

• Like Like x 1
    12. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I would always be careful about confirming whether something is a good sign or not. I've had good signs myself plenty of times, which often gave me high hopes. And these high hopes would then be crushed again whenever a bad day came. Tinnitus is unpredictable (for me at least). But it is important to have hope and this change gave positive energy, which is extremely important!
      My T never went away, but I am much less focused on it now. Therefore I do not hear it anymore whenever I am outdoors. That's one big plus for me. But then again, I am just almost one year in and much can change still. My tinnitus can celebrate its first birthday in two weeks. :)

• Like Like x 2