High Pitched Tinnitus — Anyone? Did Yours Reduce in Volume?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, May 17, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I made a new thread because I am wondering if you have this or had it and it reduced in volume.

I am wondering if anyone had it more than a few months.

I don't think I can cope with it like this. It is already wrecking havoc on my immune system and causing stress and anxiety.

It seems like I had a setback and got worse. I had fluctuating tinnitus before. I have ear pain and live in a noisy area and am worried about times I didn't protect. I can't overprotect unless I want the tradeoff of severe ear pain. I have muffs on me though at all times.

I was hoping this was a temporary although long spike but it's already a month in now. :(

The spike is pretty loud and so high pitched, it's like it hurts if that makes sense?

Is there any chance that this reduces in volume? Honestly? Not because you want to say something positive but because there are experiences here to suggest it's possible.

Does this high pitched loud tinnitus co-relate with those who have noticeable hearing loss or is there no identifiable pattern?

This is so awful. Why can't I be in the 'normal group' of tinnitus sufferers? :(

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I feel really alone. I am screwed because it's so loud and high pitched. I can't concentrate. I can't avoid being depressed or stressed because I can't do anything about it. I can't mask it because it's so loud.

I can only sleep when I am so tired.

I am scared that some loud noisen made things worse. Maybe they happened at night? I dunno. I also have loud noises around my building and maybe one of those did something?

I am wondering if it could reduce after fluctuating t becomes louder or is less fluctuating with the high pitched t becoming more consistent. I am so scared.

My ears still crackle here and there, too. I don't want to die. I am scared that I won't be to take it anymore and will decide I have had enough.

There's a lot of people on here with stories of their t lowering, often early on, and I am three months in with high pitched t and other ear (and brain) problems. This is a nightmare. :(

3. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What caused your spike if you know?

Who knows man.. Your anxiety and stress could be the reason

Your tinnitus might not get lower, but your emotional reaction to it will probably change. I'm 6 months in and I honestly don't feel tjhat bothered by the sound most of the time. It's all so absurd I'm starting to lose interest in caring about it

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Most probably it is stress and anxiety that is causing your tinnitus to appear to be more intrusive. As I've mentioned to you before. Tinnitus is 90% mental in the way a person deals and copes with it. It is an integral part of our mental and emotional well-being and cannot be separated from it. The more stressed a person becomes the more intrusive the tinnitus will be. The less stressed and anxious the tinnitus will behave accordingly. This up and down roller coaster effect, is particularly noticeable in those that are in the early stages of tinnitus. Typically, the first 6 to 12 months.

What a lot of people new to tinnitus do not understand is how much it can be affected by or emotions when it starts to be loud and intrusive. So if a person is stressed and anxious over the tinnitus noise, which is perfectly understandable it can really wear them down. They can have the feeling their whole future is one of impending doom and gloom and don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Under these circumstances one's mental health needs to be protected so that they don't sink into depression. It's all to do with brain and how it reacts to the sound of tinnitus.

Prior to the onset of tinnitus one has lived their life without this intrusive noise. All of a sudden and out of the blue the brain becomes aware of the loud intrusive tinnitus - perhaps brought on by exposure to loud noise. The limbic system which is the part of the brain where the tinnitus lives, grabs onto it and never lets it go because of fear. It's here that are emotions are also controlled. Therefore, it is vital that a person learns to be more positive. This takes time to acquire and is not something that is achieved overnight as some people would like. If the tinnitus is mild most people will not have a problem and will habituate quickly. The problem arises for an individual when the tinnitus isn't stable and fluctuates a lot especially in the early stages.

Under these circumstances it is advisable to seek medical help. Perhaps counselling, medication, sound therapy or a combination of all three. Relaxation exercises can also be beneficial. Anything to lower stress and anxiety and to help in having a more positive mindset.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      I guess it must be harder with the ear pain not the Tinnitus. Do you have hyperacusis ?

While I agree with Michael. It is important to keep busy. My tinnitus is really loud and hear it all times but when I am preoccupied with a task I am able to ignore it.

I am sure Tinnitus is exacerbated if other parts of our life are not going well with then we probably wallow in self pity which makes it worst. Age is a factor and Tinnitus is much harder to deal with at the tender years when we have less experience in life than when we are older.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know what caused it.

It's really intrusive. I can hear it outside now whereas it was only faint before. This needs to reduce soon.

:(

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's too loud and high pitched. It lowered sometimes before. Now, it is a very high pitched ringing. The intensity scares me. I had fluctuating t before. :(

People with this eventually go on drugs or they kill themselves. :(

8. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm nearly 14 months with tinnitus. For the first 8 months It was a high pitched ringing non-stop. In December of this year I began to have mild t days. Maybe 1 or 2 a week. At Christmas I got 3 days in a row. With each passing month it just seems to be climbing to higher and higher frequencies. It continues to cycle with a loud day followed by 1 or 2 mild days. It was so quiet yesterday it was almost like silence. Then I woke up today and it was back to the very high frequency and loud again. I saw my ent earlier this week and she believes that it indicates some healing has occurred. High pitched t is hard to deal with and very difficult to mask. I've found a couple of sounds that mask it but most sounds won't work. I do have hearing loss in the higher frequencies. I think I've regained some lower frequency hearing, but it's the really high frequency that hasn't recovered.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      The t worsened but I would have agreed. Now, both are hard.

I don't think age or experience has to do with anything although I wouldn't want to imagine this 20 years ago. I am still suffering though.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I think I have a similar issue but it depresses me to consider what happened and what led up to it.

11. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Me too man. It's been a battle. Sad part is most t is preventable. I'm just trying to live with it and cope the best I can. I find exercise helps with the depression somewhat.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It is insanely high pitched and loud right now. :( I am in shock. This is a nightmare. :(

13. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Mine is too. I'm not sure if it can get any higher. Been like this since I woke up. It wears me down, and makes me anxious. Hopefully tomorrow will be a mild day again

14. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Mine did. But I've had a bunch of stuff injected into my ears.

15. Simon101

Simon101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Pete,

I don't know if you read my post on your other thread? If not please go and have a look.

Tinnitus is our own personal battle. But there are so many people who have lived great lives with it.
      Although I am struggling a bit at the moment by letting my guard down once. I had 10+ years of joy with T before this recent spike.

The fear and hell you're describing is everything I went through.

I'll never forget the day I went to the ENT at 17 years old and he said "Yeah, nothing I can do, you'll just have to live with it." He even chuckled when he said it.

That comment almost cost a Mother and Father their 17 year old son's life.

My point is, I am struggling now too. But I overcame this once before and had a wonderful life. And I'll get that back again no matter what.

We'll do it together, and so will everyone else on here.

Simon

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Like what?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I am saddened by the lack of replies.

My tinnitus is insanely loud. This is practically a month. Maybe the noises here are too loud. The muffs I have on me, I use sometimes hurt my ears. Something is wrong with them.

I have no hope here. I don't know what to do. I have a hard time concentrating and the feelings of my ears, often the left one especially, makes it difficult to do anything. There's nothing I can do about it. I can try drugs and see therapist students but these things won't reduce the volume or pitch.

It really scares me that I will do something drastic even I have said this so many times. I don't mean any offense but I feel like one of the most severe if everything combined is considered. I don't know what else to say. I do struggle in my posts. Honestly. It's difficult to just type this. :(

No one cares. I am alone. I wish I could have avoided this. I don't want to live like this, though. :(

18. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @PeteJ I've been there several times. I've been taking medication(s) for many years. I believe the medications help change the pitch to a buzz and helps me cope.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I really wanted to avoid medications but I probably have no choice but to try something. This shows that this is a serious health issue when someone wants to avoid medications but that the noise is so intrusive, that they feel there is no choice. I think I could deal with any anxiety, depression or anxiety issue without drugs - IF I DIDN'T HAVE TINNITUS.

Why doesn't society want to acknowledge this condition?!? I hate being bitter and mad but this society is messed up. :(

EDIT: P.S. May I ask what medication you take or what kind might help? :(

I was hesitant and resistant to medications because I feared getting worse and I just don't like them. But, this ringing now is making me feel miserable despite my best efforts to feel otherwise.

20. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      PeteJ, Your muffs could be a problem. I can't stand hearing protection, except when I need it to protect against LOUD noise, like mowing. Muffs trap the T. With muffs, T is all you can hear. You need other background noise.

I find distractions to work best. I often drive with a window cracked to get the wind noise. That is a soothing distraction to me. I sleep with a fan beside me.

You think society doesn't acknowledge T. Actually a huge percentage of society has a much lower volume of this crap that those of us with very LOUD T. I have people say they have T and its no big deal. Obviously theirs is lower volume.

And a low number of replies to your post is possibly because if you search back far enough you will see that you aren't alone in this Hell. And for some of us it actually makes our T louder to even think about it and type about it on here. I'm shutting this thing down now and going outside to get in the breeze.

Hang in there.

21. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I went to South Korea and got a bunch of PRP and bone marrow injected into my ears.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How far is the fan from you when you sleep?

It is so dsmn loud and high pitched. :( My jaw is making crunching noises too. The h of amplified sounds in my apartment don't hurt but are really annoying and suggests to me something is still wrong with my auditory system.

But, the loud piercing high pitched tinnitus is the worst except when my ear pain is severe. Then it's really a nightmare. I try to distract myself but it only lasts for so long.

I am also alone and isolated. I could deal with that before tinnitus but now it is difficult. I need this to reduce in volume and become mild. I don't how long I can tolerate it at this level before I break down. :(

23. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      The fan is about a foot away. And point the fan in the opposite direction. Sometimes during sleep we may barely slit our eyes. The fan can cause dry eye. We don't need another problem there.

Your teeth grinding can also exacerbate this. You may need a mouthpiece. I've never done that, and frankly don't think I could stand that either. But some people that grind their teeth sleep with mouthpieces.

24. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @PeteJ please seek professional help. You may need to be institutionalized. Medicated and helped with sleep. You are in the early stage. Please seek the medications to help you survive.

• Like Like x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Which medications?

26. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @PeteJ Xanax, Prozac, Ambien, that is my life right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Do they help?

28. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to hijack the thread but my tinnitus is super high frequency... it's got to be in the 8000 Hz range according to an online tinnitus generator... anything higher and I just can't hear it.

It's debilitating and almost hurts like a dentist drill, and feels like it's getting worse and I don't know why.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I say yes. Sleep is very important to me. Ambien 10mg + Xanax 1mg gives me 6 hours maybe more depending on the spike. At least it works for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Do you have high pitched and loud tinnitus? Or did you have that?

I am talking about tinnitus you would rate as severe and 8 - 10/10.

Is it still like that? Or if it changes/changed, when did it?

I can't see myself dealing with this as it is, long term.

• Hug Hug x 1