Hissing Reactive Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by OrchestraInHead, Aug 6, 2019.

1. OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      Hello everyone,

Has anyone experienced a hissing noise which increases in volume in response to fans, AC, crowds...? This is my latest devil (following a spike due to recent noise exposure). It turns down when it's quiet. A Morse code beeping noise seems to also accompany it (which is also responsive to fans, AC, water, kettle)... And again disappears when quiet...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I get this - have had tinnitus about 3 months and noticed it becoming 'reactive' after about a month - someone typing on a keyboard nearby seems to do it, as well as A/C noise, someone mowing the lawn outside etc and I notice it when cycling if there is much noisy traffic (try and use quiet routes on my commute now).

T he level of reactiveness varies a lot and seems less at weekends when I'm more relaxed - the fans in the chilled aisles at supermarkets have the effect (some days bad other days not so bad) - some people call it hyperacusis (or 'h').

• Like Like x 1
    3. vermillion
      No Mood

vermillion Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neurological damage
      I also have this symptoms. The Morse beeping too.

4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      increasingly uncertain, maybe noise, maybe somatic ?
      The hissing which responses in volume with fan/AC is exactly my problem. (Only left ear).

Can you influence your tinnitus somatically?

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Yep...its quite common the more you search. Mine still does it Three years down the line, but has improved a bit. Ot I notice it less and give it less attention. My triggers for the big HISSS are cutlery, lots of voices cross talking ( bar etc ) and flushing toilets :D Honestly !! It's just odd and seems to be kind of frequency specific.I prefer bass sounds as thye dont trigger the hiss. I also get morse ( or as I say croaking Frog ) type beeps at night as I fall asleep. I can make mine quieter if I tense my lower jaw but its hard to do for more than a few seconds. For me the jaw is involved, but I have not yet been able to improve things in any way. You just get use to it after a few years and your brain learns to start to ignore it. Wishing you all the best...!

6. ACG
      Studious

ACG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Yes, for three years. It's annoying and hard to explain because everyone just thinks it's regular tinnitus and that using relaxation techniques will calm it down. I can be perfectly relaxed, but if an AC switches on so does the tinnitus. The other theory is that it's a symptom of hyperacusis, in which case the treatment is sound therapy --- listening to low level sounds for 4 hours a day and gradually increasing. I'm hoping there's something to this, but skeptical since so far sounds just make the tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OrchestraInHead

OrchestraInHead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely no idea!
      Thanks for all the responses! I believe this is hyperacusis as this has also ramped up since the onset of these symptoms. Specific noises hurt!

On a positive note I have had this before (identical symptoms) which did reduce when my sound sensitivity faded. This did take appropriately three months so I hope it will fade again! *Cross fingers (and toes)*

• Like Like x 1
    8. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      One thing i've noticed with myself is that i get the reactive tinnitus when im feeling stressed or have anxiety. Every time I settle down, it goes away. I think that when you are stressed or when your nerves system is very active, it causes hyperacusis which responds to other sounds. Even people that do not have T get hyperacusis and T like symptoms when feeling stressed/depressed/anxious. You enter a fight or flight mode where your brain is hyperactive and is alert for danger. It will improve and go away.

At first I thought that the reactive T was a part of my oridnary T. But after months I discovered that I only have the reactive tinnitus when I have been feeling down or under stress.

9. Ken77
      Frustrated

Ken77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, I have the reactive hissing too. I don't have the beeping though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Time4fix
      Ape-like

Time4fix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      The event
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have the exact same rn

11. Jan124

Jan124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Ok
      This is my story too. I tried to tell ent this and all I got was a 6mm. Well 7 months in and the hiss competes with everything. Went to volleyball game with earplugs.of course and no.matter how loud the audience was my tinnitus hiss would hiss with them. The louder it has to hiss the louder it becomes at night. What is causing this ?? Are we the only ones in the world who knows because the medical community is completely oblivious.

12. Auron
      Dead

Auron Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Spring
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      I get ringing/humming to things like my dryer,fridge and bathroom vent.It's quite loud and has yet to improve since my acoustic shock.Is this distorted hearing caused by hair cell / synapse death?Or perhaps this is hyperacusis amplification that I've read about?The only thing I think I can do is keep protecting my ears and hope for a miraculous recovery.That's about all we can do...

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. DevHitByTinnitus

DevHitByTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction/Stress
      I have this exact type of tinnitus, hissing reactive in my head very high pitch hissing.
      Has anyone had any success in lowering this type of tinnitus?

Thank you

14. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      @DevHitByTinnitus,

I have this symptom. The more I am exposed to sound the more reactive it gets. I have hyperacusis and it is probably related to the hyperacusis. If I remove myself from sounds the hissing goes down or away. Furnace, microwave, dryer, riding in car, rain on the roof, motors, refrigerator section of grocery store. Wake up most mornings to nearly complete quiet. Then it all starts as my day starts.

15. Orions Pain
      Surrender

Orions Pain Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise damage
      This is exactly how mine is. Reactive hissing, Morse code beep, Hyperacusis

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. James1977
      No Mood

James1977 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/19/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IMAX Movie
      Hi @Darryl Colebank - how long have you had this reactivity? These are my triggers for the past few weeks. I hope it does not end up as a forever sort of thing.

17. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/1/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      Hi @James1977,

My tinnitus started with a slight sssss in my right ear last June 2019. Nothing in left ear. REALLY not that bad. I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I became obsessed!! I could not let it go, like all things that get my attention. Then constant ear fullness, having to equalize the pressure by doing the valsalva maneuver started. Then sound sensitivity. I have questioned all along if my neurosis brought all this on...

I have had some amount of reactivity for 4-5 months now. Started out occasional. Almost always in my right ear which has worse hearing loss. Some days only one or the other ear reacts. Bad day when they both do. It is physiological torture. Hard to get use to something that changes every day or during the day. More story I will leave out.

I was going to get set up with hearing aids to do sound therapy for hyperacusis with hearing aid turned off due to hyperacusis.

There is some thought that reactive tinnitus is a symptom of hyperacusis. Treat hyperacusis, then tinnitus, which I think if hyperacusis was gone tinnitus would be tolerable or gone.

That has been indefinitely postponed due to pandemic. Can't fit hearing aids from 6" away.

I started doing sound therapy with smart phone a couple of days ago kinda under the direction of my audiologist.

I attached a document that talks about the risks of using white noise. Very interesting.

Attached Files:

18. James1977
      No Mood

James1977 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/19/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      IMAX Movie
      Hi @Darryl Colebank

Wow!! Very interesting indeed. I can totally believe it. I would be hesitant with sound therapy. I tried pink noise and felt it worsened my symptoms. I tend to doubt any neurosis caused these things. I woke up one day and they bothered me. I can't explain it other than a result of cochlear damage. I hate it so much.