Holiday Hell After a Buggy Ride without Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by BobDigi, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well I have 3 days left of a family holiday in Spain and I am getting so low.

My wife and I booked a 3-hour buggy safari. I'm always so careful with my ears. And it never occurred to me the buggies would be so loud. I had no earplugs so I kept my left ear closed using my finger. Then wet some paper towel and used this as a DIY ear plug. Once I realised how loud the buggies were I should have walked away. But I didn't want to let my wife down.

Well since then, 3 days ago, my tinnitus is louder. I don't need anybody telling me I was stupid. I'm well aware of this and feel like crying at my stupidity.

Since the hopefully temporary spike I've been using ear plugs and have now completely blocked my ear with wax. I've had to have my ears syringed around 10 times in my life. Once it gets blocked it never unblocks using oils.

I was in bed last night and itched my ear by pushing the outer ear back and forth, then realised I couldn't hear the air conditioner any more.

It's Wednesday and I fly home Friday.

The ear is completely blocked with even louder tinnitus. And in fear of making my family and wife down by my mood I've decided to bring myself away and put a brave face on. The truth is I'm a 40-year-old man on a family holiday who just wants to break down right now.

I feel foolish for not using correct protection on the buggy, irritated I didn't bring my good ear plugs and used the cheap foam ones which have blocked my ear with wax, guilty I am low on holiday and fed up not being able to hear properly.

And although I'm pretty sure it's wax, part of me is worrying the hearing loss is something more serious than wax.

I phoned my doctor this morning but they informed me they no longer syringe ears. So I'm to go there Monday to see the nurse.

Is microsuction the safer option for tinnitus sufferers? And is it noisier than syringing? And has anybody got a time machine that works?

P.S. Like I said I don't need anybody telling me I've been stupid. I already have very loud tinnitus and have possibly made it worse for the rest of my life. So I've already possibly paid the ultimate price for three hours of stupidity.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      No need to lecture you on the importance of protection. Sorry that you are experiencing this. Ears, even when habituated, continue to be quite fragile. The napkin earplugs are pretty ineffective.

All you can do is take this as a new day, and do your best to do better. I always do my best to have a set of earplugs with me for exactly the situation you describe.

Feel better soon!

3. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Do NOT get microsuction or syringing. Have them do a manual cleaning. I hope it is just the wax and your spike subsides soon.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      For 5 years I was prepared. Always had ear plugs, never took risks! Just 3 hours of stupidity and 4 days on the tinnitus has gone from loud intrusive to too loud. However my hearing has returned to normal after using olive oil. So that's something. But the tinnitus is still just as loud. Please people take this as a lesson. No matter how awkward, if you feel you shouldn't do it, walk away. It's not worth it. I think I might be paying the price for the rest of my life. So use my stupidity as a warning.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Oh god! Absolutely NOT!!! Avoid at any cost please! Worst decision of my life, completely ruined my ears! @Blue28 will verify too!

I understand your anger and frustration here but try not and beat yourself up, we’ve all had those moments we regret and more often than not it should return to baseline. I know it’s extremely distressing but try and stay calm and definitely don’t do MS!!! X

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Absolutely agree! Don’t EVER feel bad for leaving, ever!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yep! I’ve had the manual cleaning done and definitely a much safer option!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Thank you for sharing the lesson, and encouraging others, even as you are suffering with this. I really hope your T improves, and soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      I'm 100% with @Vicki14... Do NOT get microsuction!!! Please feel free to read my posts about how this procedure ruined my hearing, and ultimately my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is a good chance that it is a temporary spike. You will know whether it is permanent in about a month. Temporary spikes can last for over three months, but they usually begin fading after a month...

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Really? I thought a temporary spike lasted a week at the most?

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the other tips on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The olive oil has done the trick and my hearing is back. But the tinnitus is still raging. It's about 20 percent increase on baseline. I'm worried it's staying like this forever. It seems it was already loud compared to others. I'm on day 5! So there's still hope. Never again will I take a risk.

14. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Did your spike subside?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi yes I'm really glad to report it did. It took a little less than 2 months but it finally went back to baseline. Which is still bloody loud but I can cope with it.

I feel very luck it was only a spike. It was so loud I cant imagine habituating to that!
      It's taught me a good lesson. Never take risks and put my hearing before offending people or anyone's feelings.

• Like Like x 3