Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just letting you all know... Per email conversation, funding has not reached all the way to the goal, but it is now close enough that they're starting their proof of concept study for tinnitus TOMORROW!!!!

• Like Like x 9
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes, Justin emailed me that last night. Great news! Do you know how long this proof of concept study will take before we have something more concrete to hope for?

3. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I sure don't. But it's my hope that this trial will serve our community really well, because Frequency Therapeutics is only testing for hearing regrowth and not really focusing on tinnitus like this trial will do. I'm hoping we have direct information on how people's tinnitus reacts to this drug.

4. BBakkers
      Not amused

BBakkers Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, Spike 2019, Spike 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1e Loud Music, 2e earwax irrigation, 3e padel tennis
      So where can we find the link to this clinical trial?

• Good Question Good Question x 5
    5. Brians81
      Gloomy

Brians81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 23 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induce trauma
      This great news. I hope we will hear about this proof of concept study on tinnitus and I hope this treatment may help us all. Praying to God for this miracle to happen ✝️

• Like Like x 3
    6. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      Frequency Therapeutics is also testing the effect of their drug on tinnitus, but their main focus is hearing regrowth.

7. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Can someone provide a link for the commencement of Phase 2 for the pill? The only thing I can find is the copy paste on this forum. Is there at least a screenshot or something?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      You can do an advance search on ClinicalTrials.gov and search by Sponsor with Hough or Oblato or Auditus (the latter two are partners with Hough). So far, I have found no clinical trials regarding hearing loss or tinnitus by any of them.

It would be really nice if Hough could post an update on their Hough Ear Institute website if they're starting clinical trials on their advertised "Pill", and especially including a direct link to ClinicalTrials.gov.

9. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Are they though?

I recall from Tinnitus Talk Podcast when asked about tinnitus, that Carl LeBel said they aren't testing for that, but that one or two patients mentioned to their ENT doctor that the tinnitus had improved during the trial.

10. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      To my knowledge, Hough Ear Institute is doing a proof of concept study to show the pill is effective for tinnitus, so that investors will feel it is worthy of spending money on clinical trials. I don't know how they're doing the proof of concept. I don't know if that means humans or not.

I'll email Justin De Moss and see if he can answer that here.

11. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04120116?term=frequency+therapeutics&draw=2&rank=1

Secondary Outcome Measures :

Tinnitus Assessment [ Time Frame: Screening to Day 210 ]
      Measured by the Tinnitus Functional Index (TFI), with a scale ranging from 0 to 100 that defines severity categories based on 25 self-reported answers.

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What's the difference between a "proof of concept study" and a "clinical trial"?

• Good Question Good Question x 6
    13. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I believe (could be wrong) a proof of concept can use animals or other means to show it has the potential to work. While a clinical trial needs to be done on humans to show it works and is usually the next step.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      The big unanswered question is of course: "Will this work for chronic tinnitus (i.e. more than 3 … 6 months duration)?"

• Like Like x 1
    15. urgentresearch
      Probing

urgentresearch Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly withdrawal-induced)
      I am confused and I wonder if the term "proof of concept" was used too loosely here. (In drug development, proof of concept has a specific/narrow meaning that is separate from proof of mechanism or proof of of principle.)

16. urgentresearch
      Probing

urgentresearch Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly withdrawal-induced)
      This is the confusing part.

What does "is entering" mean here, exactly?

I think it is important for statements like this to be much more clear... especially when they are presented in the context of a fundraising email (due to the legal implications that arise when soliciting funds).

• Agree Agree x 4
    17. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      What I don’t understand is why Justin would personally tell several select people that they are starting phase 2 clinical trials as well as the tinnitus “proof of concept study” via email without Hough first putting out an official announcement—it muddies the news. This is clearly an issue of communication; the only source we have right now is two 3rd-hand statements from TinnitusTalk users, so I don’t know if we should be celebrating quite yet (not that I think anyone is lying, but let’s tread carefully).

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Justin De Moss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My sister, and a firecracker
      Thank you for doing the research and putting this together.

I agree - research is frustrating because it takes so long. Whenever we are frustrated or suffering, the character of a person is in how they respond. Character = civility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The PoC study is to test an objective measurement of tinnitus as well as to see if it works for chronic tinnitus. All of our previous studies indicated that it does, but for chronic tinnitus, the sample size was a little on the small side. Yet, we did have statistical significance.

The biotech company agrees with us, hence the reason they are funding nearly half the study to find out if it is worth the millions to run a phase 2 study. If successful - this will be the first phase 2 study that has as it's PRIMARY objective the treatment of tinnitus. It will also be the first, to my knowledge, of objectively measuring tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish Frequency Therapeutics the best. We are different in our approach and in what causes tinnitus. We both might be right! It's good to have several approaches in the pipeline.

One difference between Frequency Therapeutics and Hough Ear Institute is that we hope to run a phase 2 study that has tinnitus as the primary goal/finding, not secondary. The second is objectively measuring results v. a self-report style which is extremely unreliable depending on sample size.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    21. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A PoC study is like a pilot study if you will. Before the biotech company spends millions of dollars for a phase 2 study for another indication, they desire to see some additional results from a larger than already done, but small than phase 2 study.

In a lot of respects that is what Frequency Therapeutics has done with their phase 2a. Phase 2 studies involves hundreds of patients, not tens of patients.

It's a good strategy to raise venture capital. I hope they are successful.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is the question the biotech firm has. Before spending millions on a phase 2 study they want some more data.

23. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First off, Hough Ear Institute doesn't run the study. I'm not sure why people keep thinking that we do but we don't. The biotech company does. They will choose whatever indication they want to study. They can choose one, two, three, etc.

To be clear - Phase 1 is complete. Phase II is funded and ready to start once they determine which indication(s) they want to do. Additionally - we are doing a proof of concept study because the biotech company has a desire to do a tinnitus phase 2 study as its primary objective.

There are obviously some delays due to the global pandemic. How much of a delay - no one knows. Hopefully, phase 2 starts this year still. That will NOT be for tinnitus. The PoC study has to be done first before they will consider spending the money for a clinical 2 study for the indication of tinnitus.

24. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First off, if I said "we are starting phase 2 studies" that was a miscommunication. Hough Ear Institute doesn't run the trials. The biotech company, Oblato, who has exclusive license to the drugs will be running them. The process has started for a phase 2 study. There is a lot to the process.

It's best not to read into what is said. Context is important. Because the process is started, doesn't mean that we are already at a point of selecting candidates for the trials :) Sometimes I say we have started and "we" have, as in Oblato. Sometimes I say they haven't started because of the context - people are wanting to sign up. That part has not started.

Does that make sense?

25. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      FDA approval often leads to a fast track with other country's equivalent to the FDA.

Also, it fits in our mission. We can purchase the drugs and through our humanitarian efforts - deliver it to those in most need. Our founder and doctors have been to over 80 countries offering their services and medicine for free. But we have to have FDA approval first.

26. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @ajc - Thaun cleared up your previous statement in this thread already. I suggest you go back and read it to see how you misinterpreted it.

27. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is more data for hearing loss (cochlear implant trauma, NIHL, ototoxicity) than for tinnitus. It has nothing to do with confidence. The PoC study costs $735K. Oblato is paying for $300K of it, the state of Oklahoma is paying for $300K of it. That leaves $135K for us to raise for it. I'd say a lot of scientists are pretty confident in the work. :)

Your burning question is actually a false assumption - they are paying, for nearly half of it!

28. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PoC study will take a total of about 12 months. We should finish by next September. Then it will probably take some time, unknown, for Oblato to decide whether or not they want to run a phase 2 study for the pill for the indication of tinnitus as the primary objective.

29. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't take it personally. I do however take it professionally when someone accuses me personally and the staff/researchers at Hough Ear Institute as liars. I get people get frustrated. I get frustrated. Heck, you got frustrated with me. But while frustration is expressed, it was always civil.

It is quite offensive to see someone make such comments based on their misunderstanding about a group of people who have dedicated their lives to restoring hearing. Hough Ear Institute is co-responsible for the Cochlear implant, many surgeries that recover hearing, a lot of tech in hearing aides, and now some of the first pharmaceutical treatments for hearing loss and tinnitus, hopefully!

Thank you Rob. I do care. It's a Holiday weekend and I'm on my Mac responding to comments and helping to clear the air where it is muddy. I have tinnitus and it is getting worse. I also believe in this research and this team. I have put my money where my mouth is as I am one of the top 10 donors to Hough Ear Institute. I don't say that to brag, but to say I got skin in the game.

I can say that we have received lots of donations thanks to the Tinnitus Talk community. I don't recall the largest donation amount, but I'm pretty sure it isn't over $500.

The skin I have in the game is a top 5 figure gift. Again, not bragging - but I do care and I want this to be successful.

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Justin De Moss
      Caffeine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started September 1st. Yay!!!!!

We will reach the rest of the goal before the end of the year hopefully!