How Dangerous Are High Frequencies in Music If the Volume Is Low?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FrontRoomFanatic, Nov 12, 2019.

1. FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      How dangerous are high frequencies in music if the volume is low (50-60dB)? I’ve seen some people mention it’s not always the loudness but sometime the frequencies that can affect tinnitus.

My tinnitus raises just a little following listening to music. Not a lot and it is not distressing. But I’m limiting listening to every 2nd weekend. One 40-50 min album in the morning and the same in the evening. Saturday and Sunday. Then not again for a period of 2 weeks. I just don’t want to do lasting damage. But I’ve read that music can help tinnitus so I’m hoping my approach is a good one? My speakers have a soft dome tweeter and wood pulp woofers, which should theoretically be better.

Thanks for any input.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Just bumping this thread for anyone viewing forum today.

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You're smart listening to music through speakers and not earphones/ headphones. And at a moderate volume. Unless your dealing with hyperacusis IMHO I see no problem with that. I personally listen to music daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Michael Leigh did say that the raising of the T is actually Hyperacusis. So it’s worrying me a little.

5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have the same problem. Let your ears be your guide. There are a few songs and genres I know I can no longer tolerate so I've had to say goodbye to them. These tend to feature high pitched or heavily distorted guitars or other stringed instruments. But look for the good things to replace them.

I've put together a Spotify playlist which seems easier on my ears than most others I've tried. Here's the link again below. Hope it helps somebody. I've just been adding tracks by the artists called Carbon Based Lifeforms, Vangelis and Stellardrone.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      You shouldn't have a problem (with regards to lasting damage) listening to music at 50-60dB.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is either severely paranoid or incredibly unlucky.

7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      In general I agree, with the caveat about particular styles and frequencies that I mentioned above.

8. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      I found that the production and overall sound of the album is important. Sometimes the distortions are more "softer" than others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ah yes Stars of the Lid.. Once I get my shit together I'm going to listen to my SOTL vinyl collection again. That song in particular is one of my favorites by them.

• Like Like x 1
    10. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What is often said by some members here is that when you have hyperacusis even these low levels can worsen your tinnitus permanently if it gets spiked by it. No idea if this is true or not.

Myself, I have no clue. I do know that some speakers give me ear pain and fullness after a few minutes at 60 dB, but they are bad speakers. My tolerance to music has gotten steadily worse the less I listen to it. I think it's psychological to a large extent

The real problem is when my tinnitus is loud enough to dominate any music I listen to at 50-60 dB, it has destroyed music for me. I am fortunate to have many days where my tinnitus is pretty much silent.

11. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Fair - although I reiterate I am talking here specifically about hearing damage and tinnitus as I have no experience with hyperacusis.

Given that a simple conversation is also around 50-60dB I will strongly challenge anyone who recommends avoiding such noise levels on the basis on risking hearing damage (not that you personally are at all).

Yeah fair enough - again just to be clear I am talking about hearing damage here rather than how to deal with hyperacusis!

• Like Like x 1
    12. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Agreed, for me it makes no sense to make a distinction between every day noises/music/sound enrichment at the same dB level unless the frequency content is vastly dissimilar. But who knows. I've discussed these things on forums for professional music producers (which I am not) and they report that some types of speakers makes their tinnitus flare up even at 60 dB and other models are fine at 80 dB for hours on end.

Myself I don't think about hearing damage very much, it's not an issue in my life and I have no hearing loss up to 8000 kHz nor hidden hearing loss. I'm just deathly afraid of my tinnitus getting worse since it wasn't caused by hearing loss as far as I know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Increase in tinnitus is not always a sign of hyperacusis @FrontRoomFanatic However, from what you have described in a previous post I believe you have hyperacusis.

I do understand the precautions that you are taking but try not to make tinnitus rule your life. I don't think you will cause any lasting damage listening to your HI-FI anytime that you choose. Set the volume at a level that is comfortable for you and be mindful of low frequency bass. Your ears will heal in time but you have to be patient and leave the decibel meter alone, all it does is reinforce negative thinking that you have a problem and can cause more harm than good to your mental and emotional wellbeing.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      It’s Hyperacusis I’m worried about. I would hate to prompt its onset.

Thanks for the reply. So listening to a little music, even if it raises my T frequency a little for a temporary period, is ok? It won’t make Hyperacusis worse? That’s become a big worry for me now.

15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Each person is different. I cannot say for certain what will apply to you. When I had severe tinnitus and hyperacusis many years ago, my tinnitus spiked listening at 40db. I stopped listening to my HI-FI for about 1 years. You have to decide what is right for you.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Ok, no worries. Will try and stay positive and hope for the best. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1