How Do You Adapt to / Live with a Very Reactive Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by flobo, Jul 29, 2017.

1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      If you're so right then why not prove it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Now you are being disrespectful and quite rude and therefore I will not correspond with you again, on this thread or any other. You have done this before and I have overlooked it.

Goodbye.
      Michael

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Fine, Sorry I came across that way. I'm just mildly upset that you're not addressing the issue. I'm sorry you feel that way, and nobody would think less of you for admitting you don't know. You don't have to know everything about tinnitus, especially when most researchers don't.

• Winner Winner x 1
    4. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      The ego is in the way of discussion here, he literally ignores logic, by ignoring people who try to ask for logic, or present logic themselves.

No matter how long he puts his head in the sand, it is likely that future research will grow further and further from his narrow rhetoric, more and more research is demonstrating more and more information regarding how acoustic trauma and other hearing conditions affect the inner and middle ear, and apparently they simply do not fit with Michael's very "unique" ideas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I don't understand the cause of the the turn that this thread took. I entered the thread in hopes to find other users' experiences over RT and learn from them, but eventually i couldn't follow. I thought the thread's title was "How Do You Adapt to / Live with a Very Reactive Tinnitus?"
      Whatever...
      @Lorac i admire the way you keep a sound-mind while dealing with those issues.

The above comes from:
      http://www.hyperacusis.net/what-is-it/4-types-of-sound-sensitivity/
      I was skimming the website yesterday, to find information over H. It seems like a good reference point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I really think they are all part of a continuum within the same pathological process. That said, hyperacusis seems to have something of a blurry definition nowadays and there is a likelihood that in some, symptoms could originate outside the inner ear. This year my tinnitus has dropped a notch in volume, and the hyperacusis that comes along with it most days has reduced within equivalence from what it was.

7. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      I empathize very much with your symptoms, it's hard to make people understand how something like maskers would be absolute torture for some of the more severe hearing conditions. No matter how many times I try to explain my condition, I get told TRT and maskers and ginkgo biloba will solve it, and it's my fault it gets worse if I dont do those. Well I did Ginkgo Biloba for over six months and was advised medically to stop taking it, and TRT isn't affordable where I live, so if people here want to advertise TRT, they should be prepared to answer questions since it is such an expensive treatment.

I have "sound enrichment" by living near one of my cities major commute passages. I can hear the distortions over the white noise of traffic, just as I can over any other noise source, I don't see how expensive WNG will be the solution. I would take TRT if it was offered for free or affordable though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      He has me blocked bro. Don't bother.

I suggest you ignore him as well. His "insight" can't help you so why bother?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      OK, so Tinnitus is a symptom, not an illness, right? It's a thing we experience. So when we say "reactive," we're describing the characteristics of that symptom. We're telling you what is happening for us, which is remarkably different from a continuous tinnitus sound at a relatively continuous level that would be more noticeable in quiet environments than loud environments. For some of us, our tinnitus behaves in the reverse way: it's less noticeable in quiet, and more noticeable in loud. And it's often very quick. It will pulsate to the rhythm of the music we're trying to listen to. Or it will be somewhat slower, and will trail off from each sound like an echo. Or it will be cumulative over longer periods of time—or a combination of all three. Saying there's "no such thing" as what I'm describing is absolutely gaslighting, and I'm glad someone else mentioned that earlier in the thread.

• Like Like x 1