How Is Your High Frequency Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kamil1364, Oct 11, 2020.

1. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I had only 250 Hz - 8000 Hz done on an audiogram, it seems fine, everything at 10 dB.

When it comes to higher frequencies, I just made some quick tests with my headphones and my computer. Headphones used are mid-end audiophile ones. 17 kHz is certainly audible, 17.5 kHz a bit softer (all of that at 6% windows volume). When I turn the volume up to about 12% I can hear 18 kHz. I am also able to differentiate between music lowpassed at 16 kHz and original one.

I know those are not medical test and can't be treated as such. Some of my friends of my age seem to have even worse high frequency hearing than me (on the same setup).

While I am farily young (around 20 years old), and to be honest I barely consider it any hearing loss. My sister who is just one year older than me hears about the same as I, so maybe just not everyone is genetically capable to hearing 19-20 kHz when no longer 5 years old.

May it be the case that some people experience tinnitus with such mild hearing loss (if at all)? How does it look in your case?

2. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Dips at 14 kHz and 16 kHz. Can hear up to 20 kHz. Standard audiogram in normal range.

3. sensualmosquito
      Confused

sensualmosquito Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      6-8 khz HL, T and H from gunshots
      Can't hear too well at 6-8 kHz; about ~50 dB loss. Guns aren't a joke, although my friend thought they were. Crazy what we do to try and fit in. My tinnitus seems to be around the same frequency too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      My hearing is great from 1 Hz to 10,000 Hz. Above 11,500 Hz I can't hear anything. Cause: concert at 19-year-old.

5. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
      Despite having been to thousands of concerts, I only have a mild loss of 30 dB in 16 kHz in both ears, all other frequencies are in normal range.

6. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I haven't had an extended audiogram, but I've tried putting on headphones and playing sounds and I can still hear 16 kHz when my laptop volume is below 10. Between 250 Hz and 8 kHz my hearing ranges from -5 to +5

I do want an official extended one done, but I'm beginning to guess my issue is mostly synapses.

7. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can hear up to 21 kHz.

8. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The human hearing range stops at 20 kHz.

9. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know what to tell you. I have speakers and headphones that go beyond that range, and if I generate a 21 kHz sine wave I can hear it.

10. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I googled it. Seems there's a lot of debate about this. I was quoting one of my teachers who is a PHD ENT but that doesn't make him right. There's a lot of guesswork when it comes to the human hearing it turns out, very much of how it works is under debate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have hearing loss especially at 6 kHz caused by excessive use of earbuds while running. Coincidentally (or not), my tinnitus is the same frequency.

12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How old are you now?

13. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I am pretty much deaf after 8500 Hz. I am 45 and have a long history of hearing damage through music and various other incidents.

14. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bad. I'm only 32, and didn't have an extended audiogram, but my hearing stops around 13000 Hz according to my own not so scientific tests.

15. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      I'm 35.

16. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I'm 34, my right ear doesn't hear well beyond 12 kHz. When I test this myself I'm afraid to turn up the volume too high and the tones just vanish past 12 kHz. In a clinical setting I could still hear 14 kHz on an extended audiogram, albeit with hearing loss. Before that I was assuming all hearing was gone over 12 kHz.

Can you really trace back your loss to one single event at age 19? It really doesn't take much to alter your hearing for life does it? I'm wondering if why we lose hearing so easily in the higher frequencies as opposed to the lower frequencies is because we got more redundant hair cells?

The audiologist explained me that we can sustain a lot before the surplus of outer hair cells is gone. But once we start showing a noise dip in the audiogram it means our hearing is starting to get affected and it can go fast from there. Scary thought!

17. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      I went a few times in night clubs between 16 and 19, it was hell to me I was socially forced to do so. Every time I got out of a night club I had tinnitus but it would leave my head after a good night of sleep. Until it didn’t (and I’m here today 15 years later).

So it took certainly a few times to lose my ear cells above 11khz but the last night i spent in a night club was one with the most loud music I ever heard in my life. I could hardly breathe because my chest was vibrating a lot. But I was with friends and they didn’t have any issues with tinnitus after that night...

• Winner Winner x 2