How Long Before Habituation of Perception Kicks In?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa123, May 5, 2015.

1. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I believe Neuromonics' top model, Oasis, is "tailored" according to the patient's tinnitus. But I could be wrong, and I free admit it (because I would never want to spend money on Neuromonics, and hence I have not much experience with the company/product...).

2. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have reread my post several times and I can't for the life of me understand how in the world you got this...

From this.....

I can only assume that you are A. either being very arrogantly facetious or B.Treating myself and my post with arrogant disdain!
      Either way I don't appreciate this kind of bulls#@t answer!

Please explain and I will gladly apologize if this is not how you meant to come across, but I'm afraid I cannot see any other reason for this deceitful post!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      OK. Most folks with intrusive tinnitus feel worse when their tinnitus is louder and better when their tinnitus is less loud, which is what I think you are saying - and I happen to agree with you. My point is that in 2015 we have no way to predictably and lastingly make our tinnitus less loud. If we did, the whole conversation on this board would change - if there were a need for a board like this at all! So since we have no way to predictably and lastingly mitigate the intensity of our tinnitus, it seems to me that it might be worthwhile exploring ways to predictably and lastingly mitigate the suffering that the intensity of our tinnitus confers on us without mitigating the intensity of the tinnitus itself.

Now since this is a habituation thread, it seemed especially appropriate to point that out - because habituation is all about predictably and lastingly mitigating the suffering that the intensity of our tinnitus confers on us without mitigating the intensity of the tinnitus itself.

4. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I never once said in my original post that I can predictably turn the volume of my T down!

Like most on here my T has a life of it's own, some days it's a 10, others it can be 5 or 6, completely out of my hands.

Your post implies that I have figured that out, so I took it how you wrote it!

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right, you didn't.

Right again. The loudness of your tinnitus is completely out of your hands.

Since this is a habituation thread, I was trying to lead you to explore what steps you might take to mitigate your suffering in spite of the fact that you have no control over loudness of your tinnitus. Apparently you were not prepared to make that leap. So you decided instead to respond to my inquiry with rudeness and vitriol.

6. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Nice try, turning this around ain't going to work mate!

Actually, I don't like the games you play and I don't like your anecdotal cryptically, If you want to advise me, then by all means advise me but please don't play around with your anecdotes as they will not fool me into seeing a point of view that I don't agree with, if your opinion has merit I will see it without being lead into anything!

What I am trying to say is just be straight up and to the point!

How else is one supposed to take this @Dr Nagler?

What bullsh#@! I am lost for words honestly!:banghead:

7. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I haven't turned anything around.

I commented on a post of yours. You were bothered by my comment because you did not think it fit with what you were trying to say in your post. That can happen on a board. One person means one thing; another person means something else. It's a misunderstanding. So you asked for an explanation, which was a totally reasonable thing to do under the circumstances.

So I explained what I meant when I commented on your post.

8. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You completely misquoted my post!

No, I was bothered by your careless and seemingly dishonest misquoting of my post.

So you say, I saw it as a deliberate act!

Your explanation obviously satisfied yourself, but I'm afraid it was just a continuation of your cryptic anecdote's which you invented for your own tangent.
      Which did not alter the fact that you deliberately misquoted me, perhaps I need to re post something that you deliberately overlooked?

9. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Apparently we disagree. That, too, can happen on a board.

I have done the very best I can do to remain civil and respectful under these circumstances, while you have done everything you can do to compound the problem and inflame the situation. I don't know why. I don't care why. But I am so over this childishness.

10. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yea your right, I give up too.

When people deliberately misquote others, it usually means there not at all interested in what anyone thinks or how they feel, their just interested in pushing there own barrow!

Mirror!

• Like Like x 1
    11. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You know on second thoughts,

You think you can post bulls@#t and deliberately screw with people with your dishonesty and then you have the audacity to twist it round and say I'm making things worse?

You inflamed the situation by not recanting your deliberate misquoting of my post, your over this childishness, pot, kettle, black!

Your the reason why, you are not as clever as you think you are Dr Nagler, you can't win arguments by deliberately misquoting people mate, most intelligent people can see through that!

• Like Like x 1
    12. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I did not misquote you. You made a statement that brought a related question to my mind - so I asked it. There is a very special term for this sort of thing, when one person makes a statement that brings to mind a related question from another person. It's called a conversation.

13. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      People who sell habitation do it also over american tinnitus organization, and they are taking money claiming they are helping tinnitus victims. I wonder if dr. Negler remember that he got really bad and was even considering trobalt... and when he got better well now we can ....

Anyway.... when you dont sleep 5 night in a row you can habitat because you are not sleeping and you are having pains, something that those with so called habituation tinnitus will never understand. And i consider it even rude to impose on us who suffer greatly that it is UP to us to lower our tinnitus so we can say: " hey i don't hear it any more"

14. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for recognising my condition... I will try to search for fix for little bit more and if it does not work well i started process at dignitas live with decency, die with decency... and i do not care what people say, I will not stay alive in torture just to make someone happy...

Still i would somehow make telis take trobalt 2 months so at least he can remember how is it to be without tinnitus, somehow in my soul i believe it would help him... but i can't make him do it :( and dan can tolerate side effects...

15. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I understand why it would be frustrating when people like me talk of habituation if your tinnitus really is such that you cannot.

So how about this, let's set aside habituation. What can someone like me do to show meaningful support to someone who is suffering?

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @Vincent R @svintegrity

Your discussion reminds me that I found a therapist around here whose psychotherapy approach involves yoga. It sounds fascinating and right up my alley (and covered by insurance since it is psychotherapy!) I asked her if she's ever treated patients with tinnitus and she said no but she is going to check around. I might just take her up on it though regardless since I think I'm doing OK with my tinnitus in general and maybe I can teach her a thing or two (that's what yoga is all about, right?)

• Like Like x 2
    17. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      And I will yet again post this in the hope that you may take it on board!

This, I would have interpreted as a genuine question and would have answered with the respect it deserved.

But when it's followed by this....

It is, and was, interpreted as a very facetious and smart ass retort from yourself, which is why you got the response that I gave you, I never once said that I had worked out how to control it!

If you were genuine you would have reworded it in your next post and apologized for the confusion but you were obviously to worked up on the tangent that you had decided to run with which comes across as self obsessed and arrogant!

Perception is everything.

18. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dear,

Thank you for kind words, but i have progressive reactive tinnitus, from start 20 month it has started, then 8 month later went up 200%, and recently went up 35% (circa, around %) and every time you get bit used to it goes worse...

What can be, well nothing, I am just waiting a day i will wake up with a worse tinnitus...

hug is something that is most welcome, but when you have pain i try to take meds and go into room, and put sound machine, and when it is screeching i don't know what is worse sitting on light in pain, or lay down with sound of ventilators and scream in dark.

look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=17&v=HGcUJ2Dg3uo

19. luka

luka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      I must say that it's always amusing to read all those heated debates. It's kind of like watching some sort of weird debate club. Fun :)

I've got my T companion through acoustic trauma accompanied with huge single sided hearing loss. I guess I'm more or less habituated now and I've habituated really quickly. I really believe that a lot of people from Tinnitus talk would be in so much more miserable state than me, having my condition. (Huge single sided hearing loss accompanied with loud and random static hiss with additional short whistle sound effects at the age of 27 - not fun at all)

I'm relatively happy though and I'm highly functional. A lot of time through the day I'm not even aware of my T companion, although I would not really rate it mild, since I can clearly hear it through all the daily surroundings (office, noisy streets, car etc..) I'm capable of that because I made a personal decision to choose to habituate. The personal decision that I guess the majority of Tinnitus talk members could make but a lot of them don't make. This means that I forced my mind into habit of :

- I'm constantly busy,
      - I don't measure tinnitus, I don't talk much about tinnitus, I don't hate it, I just keep it as my trusty noisy companion.
      - I convinced myself and I believe that this is not permanent condition and that the science will figure it out eventually. Ether through the gen tweaks, drugs or mechanically.
      - I protect my ears but I don't obsess about hearing protection and I do mostly everything I've done before the accident. Though I now carry plugs around. The only change is that I don't go to clubs or concerts anymore - but I know that if I really wanted I would probably found a way to go.
      - I don't obsess about my companion T becoming worse. I find it silly to measure every mundane sound and everything and to try to live a life in a cocoon. I find it really interesting that people are religiously searching the causes to T in almost everything. One post about excessive masturbation causing T here on tinnitus talk really made my day. Of course T is unpredictable and can get worse, but so is life - you can get hit by a car tomorrow - but will this mean that out of the fear you will never again cross a road ?

Thanks to habituation I'm living a life similar to before the T. I still want to get rid of it and when something viable appears like LLLT therapy I' won't just dismiss it but I'll give it a shot. I'm not desperate though and I don't obsess browse the web for cures.

Habituation and I guess TRT advocated by @Dr. Nagler is a good thing for a individual in the year 2015 from my point of view since it works the best. I hope something better will come along, since habituation and trt also have several disadvantages because they provide "treatment" that is not real "treatment" but merely psychological trick to retrain your mind. It's sort of like patch or painkiller for the wound. Medical space is pushing it as the cure far to much and they are in way preventing a real cure to be found. This means that for average doctor a real tinnitus treatment drug wouldn't even be a big deal, since they are seeing Tinnitus as just a sound and non life threatening condition. Yep, it's hard to understand if you don't experience it.

Besides imagine that everybody would just habituate. @attheedgeofscience , team trobalt and others that are going in out of their way to track for the most promising researches and options would just say, screw that, I've taken TRT, I'm habituated, I don't need that shit anymore..:) I guess in the long term people that are not habituated are the real pioneers in science that are pushing for the real solution the most. Too bad that William Shatner with his wast fortune is already habituated :)

I'm mostly habituated but I strongly applaud and support the effort for the real cure to be found. For that I'll be also prepared to invest a lot of money. As for the habituation I'm fairly confident that the amount of suffering by T depends on each individual alone. I know a lot of people that have really noisy job and have to spend 10+ hours a day in shift where volume jumps up constantly to over 100 decibels in noise, and they are happy to have a job that's not even that well paid. I know that if they can happily endure extreme noise for 10 hours a day, 5 days in week and don't break a sweat, than also I can survive my T that is mild compared to their environment.

Best,

Luka

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      AT CERTAIN POINT HOPE BECOMES EXHAUSTING!

please watch video and see what i am surviving

This is what happens to me, like lady who died in Netherland, problem gets to be progressive tinnitus that gets worse. This how it happen to me, one little sound then new worsening 200% 8 months later... i could not speak with my mother and i can stand sound of heating elements or sound of how airfryer in kitchen, i turn it on and leave kitchen, and yes those plastic bag cellophane they are the worst and trams, and now again new sound in february... all of it on 20 months...

And dr Negler say it is only up to us to habituate, why he did not habituate this lady, and there is thousand more better experts than him who surely tried to help Gaby but there is no habituation, it is only prank, only for people without tinnitus!

LOOK 4 min:12 sec!

"I have tinnitus and I want to die"

she started to heat it and it got worse and more worse until it took her life.... there is no habituation to progressive tinnitus

I know that for me there is honestly no cure, i get ill and more ill too fast and i dont know how long i will last, but i know i will not life to entertain anyone.... there is point when as she say, hope that it will be better becomes exhausting, for me I just want to end it

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And yet we have many people on here who have habituated to just that!

that's cool, good for you. I enjoy hope because being alive is exciting and death sounds pretty droll to me. Good luck, man.

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And to be fair to you, @Christian78, you're only two years into this. I remember feeling pretty similar to what you're describing when I was 2 years into my increased tinnitus, in 2011 or so.

I don't feel that way much anymore, and I hope and pray that you're able to have a similar change in experience.

23. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Makes me wonder if Trobalt or keppra would make any difference in her life?!
      Unfortunately we'll never know:(

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      One thing's for sure, I think she was one very brave women taking a step like that, so freaking sad!

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      And some still dare to say "it's just a sound" or "loudness doesn't matter"...:mad:

Serious reality check needed!!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No wonder it gets heated whenever this is talked about and these same members just don't want to open their eyes and admit what is so blatantly obvious!

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      It's probably seen as her own fault that she couldn't habituate some harmless sound or that her personality was prone to suffering rather than recovery.

• Agree Agree x 4
    28. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      What is habituation really? Nagler has said its when you dont notice it anymore thats crazy when your talking about severe t.. I remember when i had i would say a little over mild t and i will hear it everyday when not masked say Tv or outiside.. I never habituated to it in months but life wasnt as bad either its just noise i trained to accept... But now with this very bad t i couldnt imagine habituating like these people say its crazy talk i believe you can accept it and try to go about ur day but its always right there poking at you and making you mad.. But to fully not hear it or pay attention to it as its not there i dont believe.. And yet someone with mild t that can barely hear his is telling you otherwise im saying in general not pointing out no one ..

• Agree Agree x 3
    29. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      And that is the reason why we dont have a cure or treatment... Because certain people act like it isnt that bad when in reality someone is getting eating alive with their loud screaming t ... And some get brainwashed by others saying otherwise

• Agree Agree x 4
    30. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      No way that what she had could be filtered out or blocked by any brain.

Poor woman, it saddens me even more as she left two children behind.
      For a mother to do that there must be a damn good reason.

• Agree Agree x 4