How Long Did It Take To Get Your Life Back to Normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiran kumar, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Martin69 Martin I take Klonopin .5mg and if I take it at nite for 2 nites in a row I always have a very quite T day that 3rd day Its a tough knowing what the right thing is. T is so different for allot of people.
      I'm managing best I can hope you are ok also
      Happy holidays

Carlos

2. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Hi,

On Dec 25th it'll be 3 months after my onset and 2 months after the latest return of my T (it went away 2 times), i'm slowly becoming OK. The panic attacks are long gone, depression is non-existent, anxiety kind of remains because of the worry of it becoming louder over time but i'm becoming better managing anxiety (never used drugs so far).

The T is either slightly more silent or my perception makes me feel like it, hard to say. It's hardest before sleep, because i'm not taking any meds at all, trying to cope with T by myself, i'll be better.

The end result is, after months, i'm back to life, like 75%.

• Like Like x 2
    3. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      @Telis, it can fade and it will. I've certainly heard far more people say their H faded away than their T! So hang in there!

4. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      It's been 6 weeks for me, I feel pretty close to normal now. I still hear the sound most of the time (but not all the time), but it doesn't bother me as much as it did before when it would send me into panic and tears.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks man.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      Yeah I had H at the onset of my T. Then I had my ear wax cleared out at the docs and it made it even worse, I guess cause there was no wax to soften the sounds. Anyways, mine has pretty much cleared up, I think by using my earplugs less and always having soft sounds playing through my laptop. I mean I don't like anything too noisy still, but it doesn't affect me the same way it used to.

7. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Michael,

Your statement, "....although it didn't seem loud to me..."
      is significant.

There is an element to TRT and hyperacusis recovery that are not discussed: It is possible to make a stellar recovery, and to improve sound comfort levels to such a great degree that it can become dangerous.

I think the only positive thing I can say about hyperacusis is that it usually prevents one from unwitting overexposure. However, once the hyperacusis warning mechanism is gone, it can leave behind a weakened hearing system that is then a sitting duck.

I know of people who recovered beautifully from hyperacusis, and then later tore up their hearing with an extended exposure that they had absolutely no idea was too loud for them.

I once saw a poll on a forum that asked, "Over time, did your hyperacusis get better or worse? Did your tinnitus get better or worse?" Other than a couple of positive replies to both, the majority responded, "Hyperacusis better, tinnitus worse."

There should be a prominent warning, from the beginning, to anyone undergoing sound desensitization: "You could lose your perception of what is dangerously loud to you."

I am sorry, Michael, that you lost such a hard-won victory. The fact that you are still able to give such calm and level-headed advice to others is amazing, and you have my respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Blujay You have written a very poignant post, which has highlighted the truth that one must be careful after they have reached habituation, for they are never totally out of the woods! I never looked at it that way. Back then, I thought I was cured and completely forgot about my tinnitus and threw caution to the wind. It shan't happen again. Thank you for your kind comments.
      All the best
      Michael

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      This morning i was thinking about the exact same thing. In my case sometime after the onset, i developed H, not extreme but it's there. The reason i had H is because, my subconscious does not trust me and it's trying to protect my body from me. Basically the hearing threshold is lowered to prevent me exposing myself to loud noises, which is working magically. If everything goes right, over time, i'll (my conscious) gain trust of it (subconscious) again and the threshold shall go up and H shall diminish.

Agree, we work so much to keep our T in control, like weeks, months and just one mistake resets the whole effort. I was OK 10 days go with my T, my perception of T actually had gone down to very tolerable levels (not saying that the actual loudness went down). In one morning when i was moving the washing machine, a very loud squeak noise came from one of the legs of the machine for 2 secs and i immediately knew that the good days are over. I still miss these days.

10. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Under the "Success Stories" heading, you'll find a lot of information about this.