How Long Did It Take To Get Your Life Back to Normal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiran kumar, Dec 14, 2015.

1. kiran kumar

kiran kumar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild hearing loss
      Hi this is kiran,, suffering from T since 5 months.... I spoke to many people who are having T.. Some said they are happy now with their T.. 1 person is 2 years sufferer, and 1 is 6 years sufferer.. And few of them got rid of it after 2 years... So i want to know.. Since you're T stared.. From which month you got your life back to Normal.. Please let me know

Yours KIRAN

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Believe me, I don't like at all to start this thread/poll in a pessimistic way, but I want to answer the question.

I've had T for more than 7 years, but haven't got my life back to normal yet. Shhhhhhhh!
      Still hoping for improvement and going back to normal!!!!!!!!!!!
      Look, I have positive signatures!

Last night I woke up because of my T and in the morning it was very loud, scary and depressing.
      The saddest thought is that, even if I get cured of T, by some miracle, in the next minute, nobody will give me back those 7 years that I have lost in suffering in order to live them again and do the things that I wanted to do so much in this period of time. I will never be able to recoup the lost years.

Very important PS: the fact that I didn't get over it in 7 years doesn't mean that you will not get over your T or get cured of your T much sooner than that. Don't forget that between "my case" and "your case" there isn't the slightest relation!

• Like Like x 1
    3. John G

John G Member

@Dana Smile :) . I Know how you feel. Keep moving on my friend. "Shit Happens" but things will improve

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      It's been 6 weeks for me and I think my life is getting back to normal. I miss quiet though...

• Like Like x 2
    5. John G

John G Member

Good stuff John. Glad you are better!

6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Old normal? Ummmm.... NEVER!

New normal? Hate it with passion but trying to accept it.
      Since its been more than 4 years I guess the answer for this one is NEVER too:(

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiran kumar

kiran kumar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild hearing loss
      When did you get T...??

8. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Took me 1 year when i got it. Mind you i had anxiety depression issues before t.

Now i got a increase for unknown reasons and on week 6 now. I am back to when i got it with h/sound distortion and a dogwhissle that is my main focus and overpower everything in my life.

With it came my depression back so might take me some time to learn everything again.

The h with sound distortion is almost more annoying. But that will go away again. It is 100% linked to anxiety in my case. It already went away but came back when i felt worse.
      But i beat it once. I will beat it again un time.

Everyone is different. For me its so loud or my brain think its so loud it takes me more time.

Some people adjust fast even with loud overpowering noise.

No one can awnser how long it will take for you.
      The more you do things you normally do in your life the faster you will adapt though. Even if they are not fun right now forcing yourself to do then helps in the long run.

I beat it once and will again
      So will you my friend.

• Like Like x 3
    9. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      It's been 8 weeks for me and my anxiety levels have dropped drastically. I also get a few good days where the T is almost gone or non-existant followed by a loud day, followed by 1-2 days of near quiet. My life is functioning on a more normal scale now than when it was the first 5 weeks. I am controlling anxiety with meditation/counseling and diet. Also trying to keep a positive mindset and keeping busy seem to help me. If my T didn't react to certain things my life would be functioning much more normally but I can honestly say in 8 weeks I've made improvements in how I feel overall and hope to continue making these strides to lead me to as normal life as I can! :)

• Like Like x 2
    10. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Normal -> 'new normal'. It took maybe ~6 months.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Natalie Roberts
      I suppose that's you and your daughters in the picture, mommy?
      Just wanted to say something off-topic: what a lovely picture!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      It is :) we just took these photos a few days ago for my maternity session and I wanted to include the little girls. :)
      Thank you so much! I really like it. Plus it helps me to stay positive while I'm on this site to look at their sweet faces.

• Like Like x 2
    13. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It took me six months before I could function somewhat. But it's hard to say, because I'm continually depressed and on the brink of burn-out because I'm stuck in a school-system I don't like.

• Like Like x 1
    14. MichaelO
      Angelic

MichaelO Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Three years and counting... not back to normal. I get frustrated and angry - my condition is the result of a medical mistake and I am still angry with the provider with which I have no recourse. I absolutely relish moments or times when the tinnitus is lower in volume. I suspect that my new normal will be in accepting the tinnitus as a reality - sometimes I can - and including the routine of including sounds in my day to distract me. So no 'back' to normal for me I am afraid.

• Hug Hug x 3
    15. Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I'm a little over two months with having "T" now and The last few weeks have been good. Ranging from being there but not caring, to non-existent or slightly there if there's noise around. If it's quiet, I mean super quiet then I can hear it, like siting in house alone or in my car. Thankfully that's still progression, though I can tell if it's getting better naturally or if i'm starting to habituate, either way I don't care.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      I don't think I'll ever be back to "normal", especially since I avoid loud places. But I hope in my future I can have a new normal, that at least brings some kind of happiness.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Two different people, pre T and now, I don't do the same things, act the same, feel the same, or think the same. I don't think I will ever have a normal life again, I feel like I'm babysitting my ears 24 7 and have no time left to just be me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis I am sorry to hear of the difficulty that you are going through. Have ENT diagnosed what is causing your tinnitus and offered you any treatment?

19. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Hi micheal. I was diagnosed with T and H and told to live with it. I think I'm going to try on ear noise gens. It's the H I guess that holds me back. Hard to keep busy when the crumple of a bag sends my ears into a frenzy.

20. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Would you mind sharing the cause so others can avoid this?

If it's too personal, or there are legal issues--understood.

21. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis

Hi Telis,

The wearing of white noise generators is considered one of the best ways to treat tinnitus and hyperacusis. My hypercusis was cured using them and my tinnitus reduced to a very low level. That was the first time I had TRT about 18 years ago. My tinnitus increased in 2008 quite severely and I had TRT for the second time which lasted 2 years. Although my tinnitus had increased my hyperacusis did not return.

To get the best benefit from this treatment, you really need tinnitus counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in this field. Often, you’ll find these people were either born with tinnitus or acquired it sometime in their life, so they understand what it’s like to experience intrusive tinnitus.
      Please don’t underestimate the counselling. It helps to take away and demystify the negative thinking that many patients have about their tinnitus and hyperacusis and makes the habituation path easier.

I am not saying that using white noise generators alone won’t help you but the treatment is more affective with the counselling. You will need to use sound therapy at night and this is best done with a sound machine. Although hyperacusis can be cured naturally, there is no guarantee. The best way to cure it is using sound enrichment as this desensitizes the auditory system.
      Wearing the white noise generators for 8 to 10hrs a day and using the sound machine throughout the night until morning. The treatment will cure the hyperacusis but it does take time.

If you decide to use white noise generators. Gradually introduce them to your auditory system. Wear them for 2hrs then off for 2hrs and slowly build-up the wearing time to 8 to 10hrs a day. Keep the volume just below your tinnitus. Some people wear them for 8hrs straight off and find they can't cope with it. The ear is a very delicate organ so it takes time to get used to the WNGs.

If you are sleeping in a quiet room at the moment I suggest that you start using a sound machine. They are not expensive. Start by keeping the volume low and give yourself time to get used to it, and gradually increase the volume over a few weeks. Try not to mask or cover up the tinnitus. Ideally, the volume of the SM needs to be kept just below the tinnitus.

Many people do not give themselves time to get used to using sound therapy at night and quickly give it up. It takes approximately 4 weeks to get used to it. One thing is for sure: If someone has severe tinnitus and hyperacsis, white noise generators, counselling, and using a sound machine is one of the best treatments, especially if the tinnitus was caused by loud noise.

I wish you well with whatever you decide to do. Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon. I know what severe tinnitus and hypercusis is like, and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
      Michael

Sorry for the long post

• Like Like x 4
    22. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Michael,

Just pondering some of your posts...

Did your tinnitus happen to worsen in 2008 because your earlier cure caused you to let your guard down? Or was there an unexpected noise event?

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Blujay You are right. My tinnitus became so low I hardly ever heard it and let my guard down. I completely forgot I had tinnitus. One evening I was listening to some music on the hifi and turned up the volume too loud, although It didn't seem loud to me. The next day the tinnitus came back with a vengence which lasted for weeks. It was a living nightmare. It took 4 years for me to habituate to tinnitus for the second time. But my tinnitus isn't the same as it was before. Now it has large fluctuations which can be: silent, mild, moderate, severe and extremely severe. I take clonazapam when it's very loud. Hope this is of help. Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    24. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks for the input Micheal. If I can somehow get the H, pressure and ear pain under control I think that I can maybe get by with the T. I do start to loose hope, I keep thinking that the H can fade but it doesn't. It fluctuates slightly but after some hours of listening my ears feel swollen, tight, painful, plugged, by the end of the day, I honestly can hardly speak, everything is painful, I hit the pillow and pass out from exhaustion. I push myself hard everyday, but to be honest I'm Just getting worn down. Two years in and the days just get harder. At onset I was very healthy, strong and very fit, I could take more than I can now, this has beaten me down and has taken a toll on my energy levels and my overall health. Lots of days I wake up and wonder if I can do it again, but you know, you put your head down and just do it.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Telis
      I understand everything that you are going through Telis because I was once where you are. Was your tinnitus caused by exposure to loud noise/music? If it was, I believe you have quite severe hyperacusis but it’s treatable and curable in my opinion. My hyperacusis was so severe, I had to ask people to lower their voice when talking to me. That was nearly 20 years ago. It was cured with TRT and hasn't returned since.

Many people that have habituated to their tinnitus, do not realize that they have hyperacusis. When the tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise hyperacusis often accompanies it. If the hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) isn’t treated, tinnitus will always be a problem and manifests itself as a tinnitus spike.

When a person is subjected to loud noise exposure and gets tinnitus with or without hyperacusis. The auditory system has suffered noise trauma. The cochlear in the ear and auditory receptors in the brain have become highly sensitive. Even though this hypersensitivity can reduce and go away naturally over time there is no guareentee. In severe cases like I had and what you describe, the best treatment is TRT.

It is an expensive treatment and usually last 2 years but worth while. I didn’t have to pay on the NHS but isn’t available in all NHS hospitals. I do know through talking to various people from other countries, tinnitus treatment is not always covered by medical insurance, so I’m assuming one has to pay for their TRT treatment.

People have told me their white noise generators cost 2000 euros or more and the same amount in US dollars. Whether this includes the counselling I don’t know. I recommend you seek help at a tinnitus clinic that provides TRT with counselling. If you are unable to get that and want to go it alone using white noise generators – I know a website that you can purchase them at considerably lower prices than what I’ve mentioned above. Of course do your own research first. If you ever want to know the website link for the white noise generators then let me know.

If your ENT Dr is sure, that you have "straight forward tinnitus with hyperacusis", and no other ear disorders that could be causing your symptoms such as: Meniere’s disease? Then I advise that you go ahead with TRT or using white noise generators on your own. It is important that you have been correctly diagnosed; this is why I asked you if your tinnitus was caused by loud noise/music exposure?

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks again Michael. No loud noise never bothered me, my ears did not ring once in my life until I started doing the valsalva manouver (pinching nose and blowing). It was then made worse with ear drops (ciprodex) in the days following the barotrauma from forceful valsalva, And then a further worsening about a week later from a night of loud noise. Also the drugs that I was given after all this occurred...benzos and ADs seems to have also caused some issues.

I'm going to go see another ENT, I have a feeling there is some sort of structural damage lingering that is not healing. Not sure if there is anything that can be done or not, I somehow I doubt it. I'm sure in the end I might just have to move forward with the usual treatments anyway.

Yes I would like the web site to buy noise generators please. I have been quoted $1700 per ear here in Calgary.

27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for the information Telis. I agree with you on going to see another ENT. I have sent you a number of website links that might be of help.
      Best of luck
      Michael

28. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @Michael Leigh

Thanks for your good suggestions.
      I don't know if TRT works for every T.
      I have a high-pitched sound in my head. Today so loud, I can hardly stay calm.
      It is around 15 kHz or higher. Shrill and loud.
      Listening to white noise (with WNGs or mobile) does not help. T is so intrusive. It goes through everything.
      Even crickets do not mask it today.
      How to get used to such a sound?
      I guess I need taking a benzo today.

29. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Martin69 Hey Martin don't beat yourself up for taking a Benzo when you need to we have to live life now and suffering everyday to me is not a option either. I'm hoping that somewhere down the road they'll be some Meds that can help us and till then if I have to take a Benzo then I am. I don't want my family to see me suffer day in and day out it puts a tremendous stress on them too.
      Hang in there man

Carlos

30. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Hey Carlos. Yes thanks.
      I had no choice today. Loud T, anxious, crying, even louder T.
      So I took 0.5 mg lorazepam. T loudness the same, but I am a little be calmer.
      T of this loudness every day is not (really) livable.
      I hope you are ok.