How Many Forms of Fleeting Tinnitus Have You Experienced?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LukeYoung, Feb 8, 2020.

1. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Basically wanting to know if you have had more than one type of fleeting tinnitus sound. Example: beeping, rushing, thumping or do you only experience sounds similar to your main but amplified?

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      For me personally, only sounds similar to my main but amplified.

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      Mostly the typical tried and true high pitched eeeeeeee. Sometimes it’s more low frequency like a dial tone. Once in a while the hearing will completely blow out with it.

Only a few times have I ever gotten a different noise and it was like an alien static screech that was extremely frightening.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      It's always the same for me, dulled hearing and murderous shrill sound.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Before developing "normal" T, I experienced fleeting T as an electrical buzzing once in a few months. Since T I have basically two types of fleeting sounds: One is when everything goes silent and a tonal eeeeee happens which is high frequency, but lower than my regular T. That lasts about 1-3 minutes. The other one is the same as before, electrical buzzing, and it normally lasts for a shorter period of time.
      I don't know if that's fleeting T, I guess it's not, but some mechanical stuff, but when I put foam earplugs in, my more problematic ear, the left one, starts to have thumping. But it's not constant. If I change the position of my head, it stops, but later comes back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Regal
      Musical

Regal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow (NIHL, Genetic, Ototoxic drugs, stress) ?
      Only one type sometimes left or right. My classical tinnitus turns off (actually he stops for 1 second) and I have that loud beeping coming from nowhere. I had it before tinnitus but not so much as now... that last for few seconds at few minutes.

7. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      One type... I now find that my ear not only feels quiet with the beep but also feels fuller... anyone gets fullness? Sometimes the fullness taking a few minutes to subside... wonder what's coming...

Anyone else?

8. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      This! I lose hearing (or seems like I do) with my fleeting tinnitus sometimes. I thought I was the only one. Is this normal?

9. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's quite common. I have the same. Scared the hell out of me first and still do to a lesser extent, because I always worry what if it doesn't stop, but til now it always did. This whole tinnitus business is an anxiety trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      It just happened to me a few minutes ago. I had fleeting tinnitus along with what seemed to be a slight hearing loss. Maybe it just the fleeting shifting around the hearing. While I was typing this it happened for a third time in less than 15 months. Is this normal?

11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, that's quite common.

12. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Nothing and everything is normal around tinnitus. In the first few months, it happened to me on a weekly basis, sometimes even more often. Since around February-March, calmed down and episodes got much rarer. For me 3 times in 15 months doesn't seem concerning. I know it's extremely scary though. I got woken up by this and that's awful too.

13. Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      I had a total of 9 in the last 8 hours.

14. Kriszti

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's a whole lot of a different story, I never experienced fleeting tinnitus that often. Maybe someone who's had it can chime in whether it's something dangerous. I hope it calms down. :huganimation:

15. Jaysterk
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Hmm I see. Yea I had 8 last night before bed and one today when I woke up.

16. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      I have two tinnitus sounds. The first sound is what most people have with a very high pitch "eeeee" where it's like someone scratching a blackboard and the second is a coil whine "eeeee". Usually throughout the day, it's a combination of both but the first one is predominant. On my good days, the coil whine is louder and scratching blackboard sound is lower. On bad spike days when everything is loud, the scratching blackboard "eeeee" is obnoxiously suicidal.

17. LightBrownPillow

LightBrownPillow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, sound exposure?
      I've got my constant, super-high pitch T. It seems like there are a few tones which come and go underneath it, all lower and gone within a few minutes. The frequency with which the lower tones appear varies from day to day.

18. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I experience fleeting tinnitus at least twice a day, everyday, which is a high pitched single tone that’s different from my normal T.

Hope that helps.

19. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I get it occasionally. Sometimes it's just a tone rising over the others, sometimes it feels like I go deaf for a fraction of a second, regular tinnitus stops and I get one loud tone that slowly gets softer and then regular tinnitus comes back.

Happens only very occasionally though, and only since tinnitus onset. Never had any fleeting tinnitus before in my life.