How Much Can a Person Take?

Discussion in 'Support' started by object16, Dec 7, 2014.

1. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      My tinnitus had been so bad in the past year, that I was taking enormous amounts of medications to get to sleep. With music treatment and sound treatment, by June/July I was making nice positive strides. In October/November I switched to taking cannabis edible (oral preparation, taken by mouth) instead of my other meds, and the cannabis was helping me cope. Except my dose was gradually going up, and then I was tempted to smoke it, and when I smoked it, that created an enormous spike. So I didn't do any for a couple of days, and I improved, so I thought, o.k. maybe try to smoke it again. Bad mistake: another huge spike. In panic mode, I guzzled some lyrica (600 mg) and although that put me to sleep, the next day it was a huge spike, and so now I took some morphine first thing in the morning and went back to bed, went into a drugged sleep for another 8 hours, and when I woke up the tinnitus was slightly improved, but still an obvious spike.

Now I am so scared that I permanently did something bad. That second toke was 3 days ago, and my tinnitus has slowly slowly gotten a little bit better, but it is still quite bad, and I am scared scared scared. I am not used to tinnitus being this loud, and I don't know what I am going to do.

Otherwise, there has been absolutely no exposure to noise of any sort, I am extremely careful. Please tell me I am going to recover. There is absolutely no way I am going near any form of cannabis at all, even though the edible seemed to be helping, now I am too scared to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't know, I have debilitating T and seems to spike it temporarily when I smoke. Maybe it was the other drugs that you took that contributed to the spike? I think cannabis is safe, although who knows what it does to T, maybe it's a contributor to mine T getting worse over time. I don't know anymore. I don't think anyone really knows with T.

3. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      I eat a lot of edibles and it helps my tinnitus.
      You will recover, just keep eating the brownies, don't give up!

4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

object16
      Sorry to hear about your struggles; since it enhances your senses (like your auditory system) cannabis is a definite no-no for T sufferers. Unfortunately, the T spikes at night because your auditory system goes on high alert; your best bet is to address any/all anxiety issues you may be having and use white noise at night (calms your auditory system down). For my first year I used OTC meds (Ibuprofen PM) to get to sleep but then I learned that NSAIDS are not good for T; so now I use melatonin (on occasion).

Anxiety and stress cause T to spike more than anything; address those first.

Mark

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, thanks for the kind words. I is now 4 a.m. and I am wide awake, with a lot of tinnitus. so i decided to go ahead and take 1/2 of a cannabis brownie, and see what happens. I believe smoke is just too strong for me, and we'll see what happens with 1/2 a cannabis dose.

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure you will be fine.

My T spikes for the night for sure when I smoke. I did not smoke last night and took notice of my T level when going to bed, it was lower for sure (although not a huge difference). I always wake up with the same T though, smoking or not, so yes for me it is just a very temporary jump while on the drug.

7. Zam

Zam Member

I've had T my entire life and I feel like I was one of the lucky ones to have been habituated to it from birth, as such I have no issues sleeping with it, almost regardless of its volume. When my T got worse (much worse), I already had this "training" to it, so I've never had any issues. My only problems come in the conscious day-time world where my ear feels like it's just going to explode.

Maybe in your case it would be a questions of accepting the fact that it won't go away anytime soon and learn to deal with it psychologically. Maybe the reduced distress from hearing your own T will help you sleep better. In my case, I believe it isn't an issue for me because I don't dwell on it or stress about it at night.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Smoke of any kind will affect the thickness of the blood vessel walls and that affects the flow.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi, my tinnitus is starting to settle down! I did sleep the entire weekend, I took a small dose of edible (half the usual amount) on Saturday night, but no smoking. the tinnitus is pretty much at the same level before I had this "freak-out" experience.

I even wonder.... do you think it was "good" for me to artificially spike it? because now my brain has had a dose of very large tinnitus to contend with, so the smaller tinnitus now seems so insignificant.

I am going to do some experiment in the future, when I can get my hands on some high CBD cannabis, and blend that with the high THC cannabis, and very carefully try small amounts. I am going to try to extract the cannabinoids and make a preparation like Sativex (50%CBD 50%THC).