How Much of Tinnitus Is Psychological?

Discussion in 'Support' started by sanj100, Sep 4, 2017.

1. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys.

I'm new here.

I'm a 26 year old guy. I recently started hearing a faint hissing in my right ear about a month ago (gets louder with sound and barely audible in quiet rooms). I've had a history of issues with that ear for the last 5 years (constant ear infections and recent surgery for cholesteatoma removal which has resulted in two of the hearing bones in that ear being removed - to be replaced at a later date).

Funnily enough. Of all these years of ear problems I never once had any tinnitus and didn't even know what the word meant and only when I was diagnosed with a Cholesteatoma and then came across the word "tinnitus" as a possible side effect did I listen out for it and a day later started hearing it.

I have also suffered from anxiety and OCD for over 5 years and have always been annoyed by certain sounds more than my siblings (slept with earplugs for years as I hated even low traffic noise).

All of this makes me think that tinnitus, at least for some people, is mostly or even entirely psychological. I mean. It's a pretty huge coincidence that I only heard it the day after I read about it despite having chronic ear issues for over 5 years, and a big reason why I even heard is because I have OCD and anxiety already and a hyper awareness of sound as it is.

It then follows that if this has been brought to my awareness largely psychologically then it can be undone and forgotten about the same way?

2. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sanj100 OMG. Truly really sounds like me. I got it after watching a movie bout someone with T. Also had an obsession with globus feeling in throat. And anxiety. I really think what you are saying is right. The question is: how to get rid of the obsession?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, it really does seems like our situations are pretty similar. Same type of noise, same type of onset.

And with regards to getting rid of the feeling of obsessing over it.

From what I've read online there are numerous things we can do, different things work for different people.

- Addressing the underlying anxiety/OCD which is fueling you to keep listening to the sound and getting anxious/stressed about it. Most successful way of tackling Anxiety/OCD that I'm aware of is CBT and meditation. There are also pills you can take, but I would keep that as a last resort.

- Doing Tinnitus Retraining Therapy to train your mind to habituate to the sound and thus tune it out.

- Doing things like the "back to silence" method, which a lot of people on here have succeeded with.

I really hope both of our hissing goes away soon :)

4. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sanj100 Yes, thats also the conclusion of my research. Im 24 btw. Where you from? Im from Holland

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm 26 and from the UK.

6. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sanj100 So have you taken any steps already?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm going to be starting on reducing my anxiety/OCD from next week. It's not going to be easy or quick but I feel its the only way I can get out of this. As I am pretty sure it's my anxiety/OCD that is fueling this hssing and letting it invade my consciousness. If I can get the anxiety/OCD addressed, I can stop constantly stressing over the hissing, then the hissing should move to the back of my mind, and eventually, hopefully, fade away completely.

8. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably tension in the jaw, neck and shoulders
      I recognize what you say. I have heard T for years (I remember telling someone that I heard sometimes a sound in my ear when I was around 17/18). One night, when I was just 20 (now I am 21) I realized it was kinda loud (I think it was louder since a couple months ). Start googling, the rest is history.

9. MiaX
      Fine

MiaX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably tension in the jaw, neck and shoulders
      Btw, since I went out a couple of days ago, it seems louder, so, I don't really know if it is (only ) psychological with me.

10. Kingdawson

Kingdawson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I think mine is phycological as well (as i've said previously i suffer from health anxiety). Initially it was brought on by being an idiot and standing quite close to the speakers in a club, 2 days prior to that i had a really bad pain in my left ear whilst flying (air pressure) which subsided after an hour or so. Anyway the day after the i got a very light ringing in my left ear..can only hear it in a quiet room or when i blocked my ears. This lasted 2 weeks until i got my other half to come in 3 different rooms in complete silence and tell me what she heard...she described and heard exactly what i heard. This reassured me immensely and for 2 months...i.never heard the sound..it never bothered me once....i did not think of it..
      Anyway fast forward 2 months and i get exposed to loud music again. This time when i get home both my ears are ringing. Anyway it takes a day to calm down and its basically down to that fainttttttt ring when in quiet space. Now this is on my mind but did that noise ever leave me? In that 2 month period did it ever go or was it just i somehow stopped thinking about it? I find it extremley weird that i'm continuoisly worried about a sound for 2 weeks and then it magically goes after i get reassurance that someone else hears it.
      Regarding this case of T i have (or might not have). I can block it out with ear plugs...i mean how is that possible? I hear the ring for like 30 seconds or so when i close my ears and then it sort of dies down. Then it sounds like it moght jabe returned but then nothing leading me to believe my head is playing tricks on me. I need to stop thinking about it and i know my anxiety is not helping at all.

11. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      My wife has mild T and she said if I talk about my T she starts thinking about her Tinnitus .
      I am sure it's some what psychological, because she doesn't get bothers unless I tell her .she tells me not to complain about T.
      But again ,she doesn't like even if I complain about headache lol

12. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @sanj100 . If you search the posts of others you will find that many here do indicate that thinking about their tinnitus makes it more noticeable. You will also find that anxiety (and depression) are also common companions of tinnitus. I, personally, suffer from both and I tend to obsess (although I do not exhibit compulsive behavior).

I wish you luck in your recovery, please keep us updated on your progress.

13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus can and does affect the mind quite a bit. My tinnitus is very LOUD and nasty but that's ok, I don't give it any attention. Having a strong mindset is key to dealing with tinnitus. The noise is there 24-7, we need to not focus on that noise and try to focus on life.

It takes time to deal and adjust to the ringing and sound, but eventually all can do it. for the new people, tinnitus might be quiet, or loud. It may fade or it may not, there is no prediction on how tinnitus will be. If anyone predicts how tinnitus will turn out, then they are guessing.

I'll share something. Yesterday I went to a birthday party for little children. Children are amazing and seeing them so happy is truly a gift. I was surrounded by little children that were screaming VERY loud. I have poor hearing and very bad intrusive/LOUD high pitch ringing in both ears.

I decided to say , the hell with tinnitus and I enjoyed myself and played with the kids and even played with them in their bouncy castle in the backyard. I could have monitored my tinnitus and kept thinking of each scream, but i DIDN'T.

I live my life and don't let ringing or poor ears/hearing ruin it for me. I been a this for almost 30 years and what i share is little nuggets that you will not find in a book.

My tinnitus will never go away and it will never reduce in volume and I accept that and move forward and enjoy the life that I live.

It takes time to learn to deal with tinnitus, but all can do this and i wish all (New with tinnitus & those that have had it for many years) to be well and enjoy their lives :)

• Agree Agree x 1