How to Habituate to SSHL and New Loud Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by billie48, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Your attitude has seemed to shift for the better :)

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There is no other option apart from accepting, enjoying things you can do and trying to move on.

For instance, when my hearing problems started my hearing quality would still react to changes in diet, and also partially to exercise, rest etc... which is no longer the case. So even after many years there are still changes in hearing quality (hearing deterioration) that cannot be explained. This just happens and it is not worth it to give it a second of thought. After being to many doctors, I stopped searching for answers... and do not hold any hope for any "new" treatments, which are the same old tale, promised miracles that will not become true.

So the OP's attitude is the right path to follow: go on with our lives.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yup unfortunately this is all we can do and control. I remember you suffering quite a bit when I joined this site. Or at least in distress. I know we all are still suffering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Just to add a success story of sorts.

I contracted severe tinnitus in early 2016 and went through the stages Billie speaks of. Catastrophic thoughts and panic.

After a year panic had subsided and resignation set in.

I noticed the sounds often subsided when I took a holiday or short break in the country.

By mid 2018 the sounds were all but gone. I had a brief spike in 2020 due to a loud vacuum cleaner but that subsided after a week.

Unfortunately I took the Pfizer vaccine just over a month ago so I’m back at the beginning again.

Hopefully what I’ve learned from Tinnitus Talk and my own experience can help with habituation again.

I truly believe that if you can ride it out, try to relax and calm oneself tinnitus can go away or you can live as if it is not there.

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That sucks... I hope your symptoms subside soon.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Deborah Waite

Deborah Waite Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 pill
      I am reading your story and will work on this. Thank you.

What do you mean by second episode? Did you develop new tinnitus sounds?

I'm taking Melotonin at night. Is this ok?

God bless!

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes the original high pitched tinnitus was a decade ago. It was mostly on the right ear. Then a year ago my left ear suddenly lost all hearing and then a new loud roaring tinnitus developed on the left ear. In both instances severe hyperacusis soon followed the tinnitus.

8. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      Hey @billie48, thanks for sharing your story. I am experiencing a new tone that’s an ultra high pitched, shrill whistle or hiss in my left ear. I have severe hyperacusis, too. I hear it over every environment and can’t mask it. The thing that concerns me most about this new tone is that it produces physical pain. The whistling hiss gets so shrill that it’s piercing and I wince with pain at times. I’d say once or twice per minute it creates that sensation for me. If I try to stay busy and ignore the sound, it’s better.

Did you ever experience that? The actual pain produced by the shrill ringing itself, I mean? It’s that the ring is so sharp that it causes a nails on chalkboard pain. And if you did experience this, does it get better over time? Worried that it’ll be hard to habituate to something like this.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Hi Jerad, my hyperacusis was severely hurtful in that every sound seemed piercing my ear drums. Yes there were pain at times but not long lasting, only during the piercing feeling.

After about 8 months or so the hyperacusis faded and so went the discomfort.

Everyone may have different issue. It is best you consult an ENT to see what causes your pain.

Hang in there. Patience and being positive will help. Best wishes. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    10. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Very helpful information. Thank you so much for posting these 3 things.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey @billie48, I just stumbled on this thread and I'm so sorry that you have lost hearing on your left ear.

I know it must be difficult, but you have handled it so well. Thank you for sharing your road to recovery, inspiring us all to never give up. I hope today you are feeling much better.
      Oh, my friend, this was hard to read. I will keep you in my prayers. May God uphold you in His perfect peace and help you through this situation.

download (2).jpg

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      For those of you who have lost your hearing by SSHL and the hearing hasn't come back, having a cochlear implant is an option.

In Canada most provincial medical plan will cover the initial costs. There are also treatment trials done by various implant suppliers, such as Med El. You can do internet searches on their trial sites. One person in the United States told me he has it done with all expenses covered by the supplier. So it is worth investigating this avenue to restore hearing. Tinnitus may still be there or may fade after the implant operation. But most implantees love their implant from reading some support forums of cochlear implant.