How to Protect Ears at a Carnival?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lila M, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Lila M

Lila M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I was planning to attend a carnival (not for the music, but for a running event), but that definitely wouldn't be possible for me if I only used earplugs/had my ears exposed. I'm quite sensitive to loud noises, with the most recent example being a steel pans band that caused me great discomfort.

Are there any professional ear protection headphones/noise mufflers that could significantly reduce or mute the music volume?

2. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I had a significant setback with both tinnitus and hyperacusis when I went to a small-scale carnival in 2020 because of an unexpected firecracker that went off closely, so I think the main problem is that carnivals are situations where you have a certain chance to be exposed to jackasses who cause excessive noise.

Since using earplugs already wouldn't be enough in your case (I assume you insert them correctly), double-protection with earmuffs wouldn't change much (about an extra 5 dB reduction, this is because protection works logarithmically, not additively).

And you're only speaking of expected noise which is already too much for you, so unexpected loud noise will definitely be too much. So I would advise against going to the carnival.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      From my understanding, properly inserted foam earplugs are the best protection and provide the best noise reduction. You could double up with earplugs and earmuffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Properly inserted foam earplugs are the best hearing protection on planet Earth. You won't find anything on the market that protects more. What you could do is to use double protection, i.e. both foam earplugs and earmuffs. That will provide another 4-5 dB noise reduction.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lila M

Lila M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Thank you so much for the advice. This is quite a large-scale event, so I think not attending would be for the best.
      Thank you for the suggestion. I already own plastic earplugs, but would you say foam earplugs are more effective? I only got tinnitus very recently, so I'm not really in the know regarding ear protection.
      Thank you very much.

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Foam earplugs provide up to 32-34 dB protection when inserted correctly.

Closed plastic earplugs (not the open type) are typically between 12-24 dB depending on design.

7. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Foam earplugs and custom-made silicon ones have similiar effectiveness against low-frequency sounds. But against higher frequencies - fire alarms, ambulance sirens et cetera - foam is much better.

Not sure what plastic earplugs is, but if they don't enter the inner-ear canal, I advice you to scrap them. Earplugs must enter the inner-ear canal to have any effect.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Foam earplugs with an NRR = 33 are better than plastic ones.

9. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Are you a runner that was going to participate in an event there?

10. dolphinskin

dolphinskin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced from a concert, maybe because of ETD too?
      What's a good brand to use? I saw reviews that current Mack's ones are far less quality than they used to be, so I wasn't sure. I've never put in foam earplugs before and it honestly terrifies me to try since my friend burst their eardrum that way...

11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I would not advise you to run with earplugs or earmuffs as the sound of footsteps will reverberate... this will be more evident if you are not used to wearing hearing protection, this is, if your ears are not used to wearing earplugs or earmuffs often.

As others said, there is also an inherent risk when one is surrounded by unpredictable people partying at a festival or carnival... there may be very loud noise that you do not expect

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lila M

Lila M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yeah, I was going to do a charity run. Now I'm going to run for the cause, but in a different location instead.
      Thank you for the info, very helpful since I don't know much about earplugs.
      Thank you so much.

13. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      How did your friend burst their eardrum from a foam earplug? Shoved it in too far? Or was it later on that their eardrum burst?

You can put in foam earplugs and also put in the Mack's silicone putty over it.