Human Inner Ear Organs Grown: Could Lead to New Therapies for Hearing, Balance Impairments

Discussion in 'Research News' started by jer, Jul 7, 2017.

1. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I don't actually think that you guys know how big this is. As it says in the article "now we can test drugs in a way that the human ear responds to things, and not test animal". That will allow for huge progress and speed of the development of potential medicines, because they can see if they work so much faster.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      It (and their earlier work) has been posted. It's clearly important. However, you have to remember what you have linked to is a press release so of course it sounds great.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

If I recall correctly Indiana is covered in this press release, but St. Jude's has also done it, Harvard too, some university in China. Basically there's been a push to research regeneration of haircells ever since we discovered chickens do so in the 80s.

Nearly every medical school across the country has been studying how to regrow haircells. (Was interested to see University of Mississippi researching that)

These labs successfully regrowing cochlear haircells are the culmination of decades of research. Expect to see more labs successfully regrow haircells.

5. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Great news so far. I read about them 5 years ago when they started. It's always very exciting to see, that things are really developing.

6. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      There's a difference between growing hair cells and growing inner ear organoids. Hashino and Koehler at IU and Holt at Harvard been the leaders in this. I'm not aware of research from St. Jude or from China growing organoids.

The important development in this paper is the ability to generate multiple organoids. Scaling up is a good thing.

As far as I know, they have not - in their published work at least - grown organoids with functioning cochlear hair cells, only vestibular hair cells. Maybe in the next paper....

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes, because organoids are supporting cell structures. I believe with this, they should not only be able to test hair cell regrowth, but also be able to see how different medicines will react and function on the ear, before actually going to clinical trials. This would Making searching for a cure / treatment a more targeted event.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I am sorry! In the last post i was referring to organoids, but It should have been organelles (supporting cell structures). Obviously that is not what they are talking here about.