Hyperacusis — Can "Normal" Sounds Cause Damage in a Person Who Has Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roseanna H, Dec 18, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've been to my neuro,MRI scans etc are all absolutely perfect including other intensive neurological examinations like cognitive tests etc

I don't have a single thing wrong with my brain according to him,it's all working as it should.

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      BTW has Bill posted anything recently?

3. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah, in the LLLT thread. He's ordered the Lucky Laser and is starting a treatment plan with the help of Zazzio.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    4. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm still kicking Paul,barely but still kicking lol.

Thanks for the concern though,appreciate it:)

• Like Like x 1
    5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      So many in the same boat. I haven't gone for the full monty of testing. My GP believes everything will come back perfect as well. That is what sucks about this disorder, not only diagnosis but figuring out how to fix it.

6. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Without being able to tell you why, I agree with what you said. Yes, its the nerves in your ears that are messing up. This likely describes most of us in varying degree. My ears felt more fuller and had more pain when touching them a couple of weeks ago. I have gotten without explanation some level of improvement...nothing other than trying to manage my life the best I can including trying and not always successful, staying away from loud noise.

Our bodies change daily if not hourly. My hope is whatever the underlying reason for your neuropathy is, you get some relief moving forward.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Thanks for the video! It got stuck and couldnt go beyond min 48, but the theory that cochlear deterioration may be compensated by enhanced somatosensory transmission and by an increased activity of some neurotransmitters seems interesting. It could explain why after exposure to loud noises hearing sort of mutates over a couple of weeks, and in the long run the auditory system seems to be making an effort to make - mainly - speech understandable.

Over time I have noticed that the understanding of speech deteriorates less than the ability to hear the pure tones of an audiometric test. This may be related to the high frequencies being damaged first (understanding would be covered by lower frequencies), but may also imply that the auditory system and the neural pathways involved in the transmission of sound "rearrange" after damage in the most efficient way to transmit language and the most important sounds.

8. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I am hopeful that scientists learn to distinguish which neurons create tinnitus and how to change this pattern.
      The complexity of hearing we have all learned is largely at the root of why tinnitus is so difficult to solve.
      The cross migration of touch neurons to neurons associated with hearing makes sense. The issue it seems is how to restore order. I am hopeful that the machine they discussed which changes the timing of neuron firing works.
      I guess will see what comes out of it. The lady working on the research is brilliant. I hope she continues the push to solve this puzzle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I don't think it's neurological insofar as in the brain. I think it's cells damaged inside the ear, and that we're in a stage like when people suffered with vertigo and they were told it was all in the brain, then a few pioneers discovered it was in the ear.

10. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      How about those with hearing loss and no T?
      Why can't the auditory cortex have neurological damage? Neurological disease though not common comes in many forms. Seems to me, the interface of hearing aka the auditory cortex can have misfiring neurons which create a phantom sound aka tinnitus without electrical stimulus from the ear.

Japongus, I know you have studied this a long time. Please respond to the above if you would.

11. Canador

Canador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did your MRI show anything wrong with your hearing apparatus, or suggest that it, too, is working as it should?

As amazing as the technology seems, an MRI is still a crude instrument--especially when compared to your perceptions.

12. Canador

Canador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It could be difficult to know for sure where ear pain is originating, or being triggered from.

13. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I experience similar where most sound takes on a tactile component. Its sounds wrong and I can feel it.

14. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I haven't studied a lot, just the few cases of myoclonus, so from my point of view, central tinnitus can be part of the chain of events initiated in the ear, not just from initial injury but constantly responding to something like a wrong stapes. That doesn't really qualify as a neurological injury in my understanding. So my low rumbling tinnitus could be in the cochlea and could be causing the high pitched tinnitus in the brain, or it could be the other way around.