Hyperacusis and Raging Tinnitus from Meds (Ativan/Citalopram) or Anxiety?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PizzaNL, Feb 1, 2022.

1. PizzaNL

PizzaNL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, benzo or SSRI
      Tinnitus is nothing new to me. When I was a kid, I got it due to fireworks. But it wasn't so loud. Only when sleeping I could hear it a bit, or when I concentrated on it. So, no real problems there.

I have GAD - generalized anxiety disorder. Since early November 2021.
      Been prescribed Ativan 2 mg daily. Have been taking them and a couple of weeks ago started with Citalopram. Now, that was terrible. I got tingling in my head, like all my nerves are so sensitive on my skull, ED, worse depression and anxiety. I only took one 10 mg Citalopram tablet. The ED was gone after a week. I was happy about that.

But then... two weeks ago, a ring in my ears. First quite soft, then louder and louder each day. Then the sensitivity to sound also. And now I have raging tinnitus. I have been able to sleep, but it seems to be getting worse. Ativan helps to dampen the sound, but I've read also that benzos are a culprit. When even showering your scalp creates a huge hours lasting spike, I know, this probably has to do with overactive nerves. I can't even listen to a normal conversation anymore. It doesn't hurt my ears, but I pay a price afterwards in the form of increased ringing.

Question to you guys, what do I do? Your input is highly appreciated. So, taper the benzo and go on a different SSRI for the anxiety? Have to do something for that, right. It's bad GAD. I immediately found out that stress makes the ringing worse. Now, I have been suicidal for some time due to the GAD/burnout/depression, but not being able to listen to music anymore... what do I live for? This is agony. I rather be deaf when possible, or dead.

Joe, 35-year-old, from the Netherlands.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Joe. You are not alone here as most of us have been where you are.

Yes, when the suffering was bad during the initial period, we often have dark thoughts. It is quite normal. However, tinnitus is not an end game. It can get better. I have had ultra high pitched tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis over a decade ago. But I also suffered GAD and panic disorder plus PTSD for decades prior to my tinnitus and hyperacusis. So my nerves were too weak when tinnitus and hyperacusis hit me suddenly, I suffered like you but I never gave up the fight. I got better over time and now I live a normal and enjoyable life even with a recent sudden hearing loss or SSHL and my left ear went deaf on me overnight. I am still going outdoor, fishing, gardening, hiking and living my life as normal as possible.

It takes time and following some helpful strategies which I explain in my success story "From Darkness to Light...". Check it out and try read other success stories to give you hope. In the mean time, hang in there. Take care. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PizzaNL

PizzaNL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, benzo or SSRI
      Thanks for your reply Billy. Staying positive is hard for me. But the success stories are great on this site.

Mine is also very high pitched. And sometimes in between there are different sounds battling for the most attention, it seems.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Bodycount2022
      Ape-like

Bodycount2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did you take any supplements / medicine?

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Yes as explained in my success story I had to depend on medications to survive for the first year. Ativan, Prozac, sleep pills etc. I tried some supplements like NAC and B12 etc.

6. LoverOfSilence

LoverOfSilence Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I ordered from Amazon three forms of Magnesium that cross blood-brain barrier: Magnesium Glycinate, Magnesium L-Threonate and Magnesium Taurate, all of which cause drowsiness and are important for cognitive function. I’m micro-dosing Ativan (0.25 mg at night) combined with 700 mg Gabapentin spread out through the day.

7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I can vouch for Magnesium Glycinate. Does the Gabapentin calm your tinnitus? Any side effects?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      Hey @LoverOfSilence, you’re the first person I’ve come across that is “microdosing” Ativan like I am at night. I’ve been on 0.25mg now for two months. I honestly don’t think it does much for me anymore as far as tinnitus relief (multiple tones, electric reactive hiss in right ear) so I plan to wean off over the next two months. Do you feel the Ativan is still helping you? I know if I upped the dose, I’d experience relief, but I’m not trying to go that route.

Does Gabapentin help things like reactivity?