Hyperacusis from Acoustics

Discussion in 'Support' started by fboscq1976, Mar 18, 2017.

1. fboscq1976

fboscq1976 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was just recently diagnosed with hyperacusis.

I do not know the decimal range but its more of the way things echo in a certain room it makes me lightheaded and nauseous. For instance at the bank I get sick since and at my work I have to wear ear plugs or again lightheaded and sick. Outside I have no issues whatsoever. You could put me outside in a crowd of 1,0000 people and I have no issues, put me in a room where things bounce off the wall wrong and I can barely walk.

Does anyone have issues like this? Symptoms like this? I have hearing loss in both ears from multiple surgeries and Tinnitus in my left ear.

The hyperacusis has been slowly happening but I got sick mid February and it seems to have taken it to a whole other level.

2. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I have something similar. It's because hyperacusis is not just a problem with loudness, but also frequency. A low, loud thud won't hurt me as much as a soft but high squeak. The layout of a place affects me too. Sounds bounce back faster (and over and over again) in small, enclosed spaces. I despise it when people talk above a whisper inside lifts for this very reason.

Also, another problem with hyperacusis is a limited dynamic range, which is the ability of the ear to deal with quick shifts in sound loudness. This is why I have a bigger problem with sudden sounds in quiet places. I get so startled it's ridiculous. The startle response disappeared for a bit but it's back with a vengeance.

As for the nausea, I experienced that just yesterday! I was at my parents' house for the rest of the weekend. My dad, who's slightly deaf, speaks loudly. I legit felt nauseous while he was talking to me. His voice was so booming (or it seemed to me) that it felt like it filled my head.

Prior to yesterday, I've had no problems with dizziness and balance. I'm hoping this is not the onset of vestibular hyperacusis. :(

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It sounds more like a problem with vibration or reverberation, but I am not sure what it might be. Since you say you get nauseus, have you checked Meniere or a similar condition?