Hyperacusis Has Subsided

Discussion in 'Support' started by mpr, Feb 19, 2020.

1. mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar
      Hello all,

I would like to share my experience with you all. I developed severe headaches, tinnitus and hyperacusis after a jam session on my guitar. I also had a cold which my doctor thinks may have played a role in it as well. Shortly after those two event I noticed ringing in both ears that had gotten progressively worse and debilitating headaches from sound sensitivity.

I almost went to ER twice because of my headaches. I saw my doctor and he gave me gabapentin and prednisone. To my dismay it did not seem to help.

I found myself in the darkest place I have ever been. I was crying multiple times a day begging God to make it stop. One day at 3am (since I could not sleep worth a crap) I decided to start writing letters to God asking for help. I did this everyday.

I told all my friends and family I was depressed and on the edge and needed their help. I got a lot of support from them as they helped me carry this cross so I was no longer alone.

I decided I am not going to be a victim anymore. I was no longer going to take my life and all the gifts given to me fore granted.

I started wearing ear plugs around the house just to relieve my headaches and just suffered while at work without them.

In about 3 weeks time my headaches resolved and all I am left with is tinnitus which I can live with.

I realized through this whole thing that without the help of God and my family I could not have done this alone and that I am a stronger person because of it.

I am not out of the woods yet but I think things are finally looking up. I pray for you all suffering as I know how debilitating this is. Keep your head up and form a support team.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 4
    2. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Good man, keep the fire going!

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @mpr

I am pleased to hear that you are feeling better. I want to give you some advise and hopefully if you follow it the tinnitus will not get worse and may improve over time. Loud noise and tinnitus do not go well together. Exposure to loud noise is the most common cause of tinnitus. The fact that you play guitar in a band is the most likely reason you have developed tinnitus. It has probably been there for some time but dormant and slowly getting worse and has now made itself more noticeable.

Please treat this experience as a warning. If you continue to be around overly loud noise/sound then the tinnitus will surely get worse so be careful. Wearing earplugs is no guarantee that you will be safe, as sound will pass through your head and be transferred to your inner ear by bone conduction. This can spike the tinnitus and make it increase to a higher permanent level. There are people that will tell you carry on and don't listen to what I am telling you, as famous musicians have tinnitus and enjoy playing their loud music. I am not saying to stop playing your music. However, I am warning you of what can happen if you are not careful and reduce your exposure to loud sound. If you wear headphones, I advise you to stop using them for a while. Preferably, never use them again even at low volume but the choice is yours.

Your tinnitus may soon reduce to a level that you hardly hear it and this does happen. It can give a person a false sense of security and the belief all is now well. I am here to tell you nothing more could be further from the truth. The tinnitus is there, quietly waiting in the background and ready to strike. If you are not careful of being around overly loud music - remember, wearing earplugs doesn't mean you will be safe. The tinnitus can return with a vengeance and a ferocity that you wouldn't believe is possible. Believe me I know of whereof I speak.

Sorry to sound so sobering. I am trying to help you and not burst your bubble, so be careful. Please click on the links below and read my posts on tinnitus, that I think will be of help.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-severe-debilitating-tinnitus.35032/

4. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      You should believe him, @mpr. I was getting a lot better so I allowed myself to lower my guard a bit, which was already sufficient to give me a setback/spike with H and a somewhat louder T (it might still die down, but who knows that?). You cannot let your guard down at all. Do not go into unpredictable situations. Be very careful to go to parties or drinking because you will probably forget about the risks.

!No amount of fun or social expectations is worth the consequence!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear of your situation @Sevv I have many years experience with noise induced tinnitus. Because of this I am able to pass on this knowledge. Hopefully, people will not have to learn the hard way, as I and many others have who didn't have people to turn to for such help.

Please read my posts in the links above which maybe of help.
      Take care

Michael

6. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Thank you.
      I'm mostly ok. My T used to be mild bordering very mild, now its mild bordering moderate (and maybe it's just a temporary spike, though it was caused by a new noise trauma, see my own support thread). As long as I can continue to go hiking with my friends and have adventures, I have enough reason to live for/wait for the cure. The H should improve again in the coming months, it's not a bad case, just high pitched sounds. So no restaurants for a while.
      You're a good person! Let's continue to fight T until we can finally get rid of it!

And now, back to topic. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please read my posts in the links. Your tinnitus is likely to improve with time. If you want to give yourself the best chance of this happening, then don't use headphones, headset ever again even at low volume. Keep away from overly loud music. This does not mean that you can't go out an enjoy yourself just be careful. Read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it, in the link above.

If you do as I have suggested your tinnitus will improve with time. Be patient and do all the things that you like to do, as this will help to take your focus off the tinnitus.

Best of luck
      Michael

8. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I'll make it short, so not to derail this thread more but: I did all this, was always careful but still found enjoyable things to do. Reactive T and loudness H went after 2-3 months (both were mild). Pain H took months to get better (was only on high frequencies anyway). My T got slightly better over those 10 months by itself, but it dropped a lot when I stopped worrying about it (which at first was only during holidays).

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Fantastic news! I'm the same - my pain hyperacusis was taking ages to go away but over the past few days the progress has really picked up and it's now almost gone. Not totally out of the woods yet so still playing it safe and using earplugs when I go out but I feel better than I have in a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Are we talking about 3 weeks with "hyperacusis"?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar
      @Michael Leigh
      I whole heartedly believe you! I have not touched my guitars since and unfortunately may never play through an amplifier ever again. My post was full of optimism but unfortunately the hyperacusis is not gone. I was excited because I thought it was going away but apparently I just had a good headache free day. My tinnitus is in full roar. I am lucky I only get headaches while I am at work due to phones ringing and equipment beeping. I have decided to see an ENT and audiologist to get some help dealing with this. Has anyone tried TRT? If so what was your experience like and was it helpful?

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @mpr

Your tinnitus and hyperacusis can improve with time as you are still in the early stages of tinnitus. Read my posts in the links, I have given you and take your time. I have had TRT twice with good results. I do not recommend you try it until you are at least 4 to 6 months since the onset of the tinnitus. Please click on the links below in red and read my posts on TRT. I advise you to read the other links too. Take your time and do not skim through any of the posts.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/trt-as-i-see-it.19555/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-is-trt-and-when-should-it-be-started.19024/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/what-happens-in-trt-sessions.18195/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar
      @Michael Leigh
      I appreciate your help my friend. I will read through those links you have shared. All help is greatly appreciated!

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @mpr

Follow the advice in my posts and give it time for your tinnitus and hyperacusis to improve. This can take up to 18 months. Be patient and I advise not to use headphones or headset even at low volume. Be careful of listening to loud music. Use sound enrichment during the day and at night. More about this is explained in the links.

Take care
      Michael

16. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      My hyperacusis is doing this weird thing where all of a sudden I seem to experience fairly rapid improvement within the space of a few days but then sort of plateaus for the following few weeks before another relatively rapid improvement. Overall, my hyperacusis has improved substantially in the space of a month and I think it's most important to keep track of the bigger picture but it's still frustrating.

Acute symptoms have pretty much all but subsided but I still get this feeling of 'tightness' in my ear (could be TTTS) and randomly experience warmth in my left ear - wouldn't call this 'burning' and it's not painful at all but still a bit disconcerting. Probably the most bizarre symptom I experience is moderate tingling and pulsating on the left side of my forehead - it's not painful but it's odd because sometimes it's not even accompanied by ear symptoms, it's just on its own. I'm guessing it's something to do with the trigeminal nerve. It's like the nervous system on the entire left side of my face activates in response to noise.

• Like Like x 1
    17. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Interesting. I've had this same tingling (sort of like tics) lately in my forehead, on and off, with no correlation to t or h. I've slept good, and little to no stress in this period.

Did you figure out with this might be? Do you still have it? Nothing painful, but it is annoying.

18. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      It was related to my acoustic trauma and has lessened over time as my hyperacusis has improved. I don't have it any more.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid, infection, stress, ototoxic meds, noise, TMJ
      @serendipity1996, what symptoms do you get now if any, and did you do anything specific like take meds or supplements? Appreciate the help and hope you carry on getting better.

20. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Bimmerboy, for ow long have you struggled with the sound sensitivity (and reactive tinnitus)?

21. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MindOverMatter, 5 months going onto 6, but this month my symptoms have worsened. With all the facial pressure and pain and even behind eyes. Sort of the pain I get when wearing earmuffs. I don't have reactive tinnitus. My tinnitus remains the same level. No spike, which I'm grateful for.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Hey, try Ambroxol. It works like a miracle for some people. Other than that make sure you are resting your ears from noise exposure that’s why you are getting those pains.

23. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lukee, I'm on Amitriptyline right now waiting for the course to end. It hasn't done much for me. I'm always protecting. Only time I try not to is when I'm at home watching TV. I protect even when I go out to drive or when I'm passenger in a car. I'm trying to be careful of overprotecing as well.

Also how are you keeping now, you feeling better from that day on boat?

24. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Good to hear.

I am better from the boat. My symptoms are like a rollercoaster, one day better, one day worse. I think in general I am trending positively. Hyperacusis is a long game and you need to be committed and just take your time to heal. I can’t say for sure, but some things like diet and supplements seem to have a significant effect on it. I am trying many different things to see where I get the best results but still I am not completely sure of anything. I would say that keeping your ears safe is probably the best bet ATM.

There are many people who almost instantly recover from hyperacusis and sometimes tinnitus. I believe this is due to many cofactors. It seems like it’s not straightforward and we must address any underlying issues as well, ie TMJ, diet, neck issues, etc.

I think keeping head pressure down and living a healthy lifestyle is the best we can do until we understand a little bit more about what going on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Lukee, shit man, if only my ENT could have reassured me the way you just did. Like you said it's a waiting game. I have all the three issues; neck, TMJ and diet.

I mean my symptoms have gotten better, building anxiety makes it 10 times worse.

Can I ask you @Lukee what's your take on overprotecting because I feel like I'm doing that right now. Worried about making things worse.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar
      Hello all, so I did this post in Feb 2020 and I have now been dealing with this for about 18 months. It has gotten a lot better. For me my hyperacusis stopped after about 6 months. I know it’s tough to not use ear plugs but I had to stop. I just said fuck it and stopped using them and I’m glad I did. I still get hyperacusis from time to time but usually it is when I have a head cold. The only time I use ear protection is if I am using power tools or playing my guitar real loud. The best advice I can give anyone is to stop using your ear protection if you can help it. I know it’s tough but it can create a situation where you become overly dependent on it. I still have pretty significant tinnitus. I have just learned to ignore it. It took about 6 to 12 months for me. There are times where I can go days without thinking about it. For work I am a pharmacist. Unfortunately most medication do not help. I tried gabapentin and a prednisone burst but it did nothing to help me but it might help others although the data is pretty poor. I noticed my tinnitus and hyperacusis is much worst when I have a head cold or nasal congestion so I use a nasal steroid. Flonase will work just fine if you are experiencing the same thing. I hope that all of you suffering find peace. I will pray for you.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    27. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @mpr, did you have or still get burning/pain in your ears?

Thank you for updating us. I hope you carry on getting better.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mpr

mpr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shredding on guitar
      @Bimmerboy, I have read a few of your posts and it sounds like your really struggling with this. It can be very frustrating and honestly it brought me to my knees. For a couple of weeks I was so anxious about the ringing that I fixated on it constantly which made it ten times worst. I had horrific migraines and normal things like the tv ect sounded very sharp to my ears.

For me things started to get better once I accepted that this was my new normal. I am now a year and a half into this and like I said, it no longer bothers me unless I have a head cold. I never really had burning in my ears, just everything sounded really sharp and severe headaches along with a very high pitch eeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound.
      It sounds to me like you are having a hard time accepting this, but trust me the sooner you do the better off you will be.

At first I overprotected like crazy. Then one day I just said fuck it, I’m not going to live like this and I stopped using earplugs (except when using power tools etc).

As far as medications and supplements go, as a pharmacist I can tell you the supplements are pretty much garbage so save your money. The only thing that actually might help would be a benzodiazepines, which doesn’t actually help tinnitus but helps with the anxiety from it. But that is a shitty route to go. Your best bet is to try and stop using your ear protection unless you have to (mowing lawn etc). Also, I would get a sound machine for night time if you haven’t done that already.

You will get through this. I know it sucks but once your brain gets used to it, it will be much more manageable, you just have to accept it for what it is and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    29. Taw

Taw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Pain hyperacusis since 03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (drum lessons)
      I am glad that you are better, I have read some of your posts.

What is your timeline about this? I read that your tinnitus started in 2011, but your hyperacusis took place in January 2020 and it lasted only a few months? Was it pain hyperacusis?

Thanks.

30. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      No, my first experience of hyperacusis was late 2016 which went away after a few months. I then had a major setback/relapse at the end of 2019 and it's taken the last 18 months to recover from it - I had 24/7 burning ear pain for 3 months but lingering facial neuralgia and sensitivity for a long time afterwards. Still not totally back to where I was before the setback.

• Hug Hug x 3