Hyperacusis on 20/20 TV In US

Discussion in 'Support' started by gary, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      who was mowing the lawn lol ?? and by padded u mean their house? does the really reduce volume my fam was thinking of doing thst to my room if we cant move from the noisy neighborhood

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Wrong. Please dont misinform people, you might hurt somebody.

3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I dont know who was mowing the lawn, probably a guy who has a lawn.

Their CONDO, is fully carpeted, they have installed custom noise insulating windows, there are no metal objects or things that can make any noise and they use plastic plates, cutlery and a plastic frying pan.

4. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i saw it again its a different dude on the mower.. yeah i was thinking bout getting a custom window to block out the outside noises too

5. Dan there is another guy featured in video if I go by memory and he indeed mows the lawn with muffs on. He is either very mild and taking precaution or perhaps has "phonophobia"

I will never understand why they live in NYC. It is beyond crazy to me. I would love to visit but can't even fathom that.

6. A plastic frying pan??? wth? LOL

7. You could basically pad up your room Geo..though that is very sad to me. I wish you would try a medication at least. Seriously if you got your H under control you would probably get that T under control.

But this beast (H) has a mind of its own. I am no better than when it began..actually worse as I used to have weeks of respite where I would almost feel normal. I won't say noise has made me worse because I don't know..maybe for me, it's something else. Regardless it sucks big time.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Yes that lawnmower dude has milder H. No way is Joyce's husband Ben gonna mow a lawn lol.
      Yeah what you never heard of a plastic frying pan?

9. Do they cook with it on a plastic stove to prepare plastic eggs?

Otherwise, no.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      do they buy another one right after it melts lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. I knew two people..but I'm guessing the second didn't have H at all..who knows..he saw Jastreboff and stopped speaking to me. Jastreboff must of really worked some magic. He is seemingly leading a productive life after being suicidal from said H last year.

12. Yes from the manufacturer ' Little Tikes'
      I believe Toys R Us is a distributor if you're interested.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Was his name Sammy by any chance?

14. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Who was suicidal? They cured his H?

15. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Its crazy how my h disaperared or got extremely low last time i had it, i dont really see anyone in here being rid of it.. Wel my second time is just awful ...

16. Geo I used to get H on and off without T for years..Was odd but I just figured it was TMJ related. This time, I don't know why it stayed and why I also got T. I guess whatever waa causing it, got worse.

17. I couldn't tell you. He never spoke to me again. I guess he was banned from doing so lol..anyways my guess he didn't have H, maybe misophonia and TTS..I'd love to ask him but he left me hanging so basically I have no time for that.

18. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Odd, if I was cured I would tell everyone who cared.

19. @dan you ever hear about that guy who loved Wham and did E?

20. Yea, no shit..especially when one of those people stuck by you for months.

21. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah I don't know why you would want to keep that a secret. Anything Jastreboff/TRT related is often weird stuff like this. Really casts a huge shadow of doubt on the whole thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      LOL, part of Jastreboff is like going to Jesus camp, he actively encourages his patients to avoid ''negative online forum influences''. Which in the real world means his rhetoric doesn't stand up to inspection.

23. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yeah makes precious little sense.

Rent controlled area of NY that is so ridiculously expensive... Hmmm...

And it's an appartment. And ask any soundproof seller and he'll tell you that to protect from sound you have to put the insulation at the source, not on your own side of the wall. How any kind of insulation can protect from the massive amount of vibrations (of people walking without shoes on, for example, not to mention drum and bass or elevator sounds), I don't know, and how they haven't realised that in the US, despite the dogs and birds in the countryside you can get lucky and not get them near you, is a mystery to me.

24. Frederico_23

Frederico_23 Member

I wish there were more hyperacusis/tinnitus documentaries on TV's worldwide... to raise awareness and also to protect people. If I knew what could happened if I wasn't careful with my ears i would have had much more care.
      And unfurtonately in the noisy world we live in... the ipod generation were young people go a lot more to discos,bars,sports events,festivals, that are much louder with better loudspeakers. If theres's not a care now... our generation (im 20) at our 40 will have a lot mot hearing loss and tinnitus and hyperacusis will increase dramatically. But the humans are like this... we don't do nothing until we have the problem... we always think "oh it only happens to the others"

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      That's hilarious, and unsurprising.

26. Yo-Han

Yo-Han Member

Tinnitus Since:

Hi @Geo

I'd like to shed some light on acoustic isolation. I'd go nuts in a town like LA or NY (and move). Easyer said then done... I live in a 200k people town with hyperacusis level 3 and i'm allready having a hard time adjusting ... I wish you strenght and getting better soon. Battling H in a noisy neighbourhood or city ain't no easy thing to do.

What the couple did in this vid is just damping internal sounds, like something falling on the floor, or someone bumping into a door. These pads also might damp the internal acoustics a bit (absorbing high frequency reflections, there might be less echoing)
      These measures would hardly isolate outside noise. If you are going for noise isolation try to ask a professional with good knowledge of acoustics. Look up sound proof glass. Also note the construction of the window itself besides the glass part. Wall or door - air gap - wall or door; is a good form for isolating sound that travels trough air. Like for example an airlock. There's sound that travels trough air, and there's contact sound. Contact sound(like the bumps you hear trough the walls from other rooms or houses, mostly vibrations) can be harder to reduce. You need to use decoupling then, like spikes under a loudspeaker for ex.

Note that if you acoustically isolate a room only 90%, all the noise will leak trough the other 10% It's not like insulating for heat, where you will have only 10% loss.

ps. @all. lol at the plastic frying pan, plastic toy burgers don't taste too good.

27. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think they have installed soundproof glass as well.

28. SueR
      Disappointed

SueR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
      if I recall, they put blanket-like things over the windows. They definitely were blocking out some external noise.

29. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well maybe they can tolerate contact sound, which is absurd. I would go crazy in an apartment. You can hear someone's footsteps at 30-50 meters if they're in your same structure in an apartment, if they don't have slippers on that shield their tibial (back of the foot). Maybe that doesn't make their TTTS to spring up, or maybe they have a different kind of air sound hyperacusis.

30. jeanneguy

jeanneguy Member

Anyone out there with SHL, tinnitus and worsening hypercusis?