Hyperacusis Severely Worsened to Unlivable Suicidal Levels. Should I Go to Hospital/Get Steroids?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rojo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Rojo

Rojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin/Xiflaxin
      Has anyone had steroids help with hyperacusis spikes and/or have them reduce the pain and sensitivity?

I'm literally in pain from every single noise. My hyperacusis has worsened severely over the past two weeks.

I don't even know how I could get to the hospital without even further destroying my ears, but I have Lyme disease/benzo withdrawal/IBS/awful neuro symptoms I need to see doctors for so I'm not healthy and able to just hermit for years, plus this has never gotten better, only worse, and I live with my parents who do not understand and won't let me just lay here for that long doing nothing.

Maybe they might even find and/or treat an underlying cause.

It feels like a long shot but right now it seems like that, or suicide, so anyone think steroids might have a chance of helping?

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. PolarSun

PolarSun Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      It helped me! I did two rounds, saved my sanity helped lower both the t and h

• Like Like x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      My ENT recommended Deflazacort 30 mg, 1 pill every morning, for a few days. Give it a try for 3 - 5 days and see if it helps.

4. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      Hey @Rojo . How's it going? If you tried them, did the steroids help?

5. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      How are you doing right now?

6. Jack23

Jack23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, medication
      I also got my tinnitus from 3 days use of Neomycin.

7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      How are you doing, @Rojo?

8. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      I went through his post history some time ago and I fear the worst given that he hasn't posted in a while.

9. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      Considering he hasn't visited the forum for almost 2 years and how bad he was doing in the end, I really doubt @Rojo is still alive :(. I really hope I'm wrong, but he was just deteriorating further and further.

Stories like this and the "suicidal" thread make me realize how incredibly lucky I've been to have a relatively normal life now that I've managed to reduce my horrific tinnitus and hyperacusis to the point it's a minor nuisance.

10. defender

defender Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or some problem in the nervous system
      @Rojo is alive, I've been talking to him on Facebook, I told him to post something here.

• Like Like x 12
    11. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      That's great, @defender - we're excited to hear from him. Hopefully he's doing alright. Now would be a good time to check the forum since we're going to have the FX-322 results very soon.

12. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      Thank you for the update. I am glad he is still with us. How is he going? Has there been any improvement for him. I am sorry his parents are less than supportive.
      Just curious, how long did this take? What did you do?

13. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. SoundB0und
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      @Aaron91

The hyperacusis started in March 2018 with my ototoxicity, before that I had no discernible hyperacusis, even though I had mild tinnitus. It came on pretty suddenly as the tinnitus ramped up and got quite severe, somebody folding together a paper bag and I felt severe pain. Right now only perhaps the loudest dishes clanking are painful.

I recently took some Brewer's yeast, to get B-vitamins mainly, I wanted a low dose because high doses of even vitamins mess me up. For some reason it made my hyperacusis worse, but mostly in low frequencies, which was really strange, because though my high frequency hearing is really bad my low is pretty much fine. Took it for a week or two, because at first I though it might be some sort of healing that happens(it has tiny bit of Nicotinamide Riboside in it), and I'm not sure even right now that it wasn't, my tinnitus didn't really get worse nor did my reactivity on the yeast.

It must've been something else in Brewer's yeast because when I bought regular B-vitamins and took a fraction of the tablet there was no worsening of hyperacusis and within about 2 weeks now since I quit the yeast my hyperacusis is 75% back to previous baseline. So this was recent, something I haven't posted on my thread.

Overall it's been a gradual process, very gradual in fact, with ups and downs. I've lived pretty much as a recluse in order to protect my ears, especially the first 1-2 years, that's been the biggest reason for healing my hyperacusis, tinnitus and reactivity. And even as I've done that I had several injuries in the first year. The general trend has still been downwards. Before the yeast I hadn't had hyperacusis pain for a good couple of months from anything, though I don't put myself at harms way to loud noise either.

Also one thing I noticed, when I clank the dishes and plug the worse ear, left one, leaving the right one unplugged, there's no pain and there's actually mostly the same thing happening when I plug my right and mostly only hear from the left, but when both of my ears are unobstructed, my hyperacusis is actually worse than any of the 2 options I mentioned before. No idea why this is, but it's been this way from as long as I can remember.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1