Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You very much deserve the weekend away from the Chamber!

Next week is a new one and who knows what happens. If it wasn't so damn expensive here, I might try a session just to see whether my tinnitus would act the same way as yours (almost an hour of quiet time!).

Didn't you say that if HBOT doesn't work, then you are going to try that neuromodulation treatment? Or at least were thinking about it?

I also don't remember whether you've told this earlier, but how do you generally speaking manage with your tinnitus currently? Can you sleep and concentrate on stuff how well?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Markku when I go to sleep it's like I go to bed on a busy airport runway that's how bad my tinnitus really is.

I love sleeping and I sleep for 9 hours, if I don't get my sleep I am useless, I don't take any meds, I drink camomile tea and that's it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I work in a quiet office, it's so quiet I can hear my tinnitus screaming, but I just get on with my work, I have a very good position and been with the company 12 years, I have to keep going I am the breadwinner in my family.

I believe that I will adapt to this tinnitus and slowly my brain will just treat it as unwanted junk noise and cool off hearing it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      That's exactly what's going to happen to you, my friend! :) (if HBO or other treatments didn't work... but even then we will have working treatments available sooner or later... I'm optimistic!)

It took me more than a few months to get habituated. Even still I can hear it whenever I want or don't want, but it doesn't make me anxious, angry or cause difficulties in concentration. It just is there.

I'm so happy I have this forum, it gives me strength knowing that I can come here and vent whenever I want. Plus all the great peeps here!

One more thing... may I ask how you found Tinnitus Talk? From Google? Do you remember what you were searching for? I'm glad you did though, you've started great discussions and been an integral part of this forum lately. Thanks matey!

I'm trying to get some sleep now even though I don't need to wake up early... maybe I'll go and watch an episode of Justified instead... anyway, have a great weekend! (joe and everybody else too :))

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      I tell you something amazing, my wife's uncle and I have known 20 years and he never told me he had tinnitus!!

He got it from clay pigeon shooting, he experienced tinnitus soon as he fired his first shot, he continued to fire another 30 shots until the game was over, by the time he got home that day he couldn't hear conversation just a loud screaming, he described it as a police car siren.

He was diagnosed with very severe tinnitus. I said to him "uncle Pete why haven't you ever told me you had tinnitus", he said "it happened 30 years ago and you never asked".

Ok I said I would never have imagined you have this, can you describe to me what your tinnitus sounds like, he said "ok"

HE PUT HIS FINGERS IN HIS EARS, blocked them and then said today it's like a high pitched teapot just boiled... I rest my case, if he did it we can all do it. Good night.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Day 11 of H.B.O.T.

I was in there an hour as usual, again silent for the duration of treatment, then back to normal high pitch ringing soon as it was over.

I have decided to give it a total of 15 sessions, as I am not feeling any improvement :(

Markku I am trying to find the results to the clinical trial for the ANM 30CR neurostimulator. If they're good then I will do it.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Although I cannot with good conscience recommend the Anm neuromodulator yet because of lack of published studies, it would still be most interesting to read how it goes, what the consultations include and what it feels like to use the device... and effects.

Of course if you decide to try the neuromodulator, think about exercising the right for the refund if you don't notice any effects within that period of time. It's so much money... :confused:

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Day 12 of H.B.O.T.

I was in there an hour again today, amongst another lady an M.S sufferer, I enjoyed an hour of complete silence, however whilst I was in silence, I took off my oxygen mask and fully opened and closed my mouth I could hear the tinnitus very very faintly as I closed and opened it repeatedly.

However I put my mask back on and carried on with the treatment. I came out of the chamber and the operator asked if we were all ok, her voice sounded rich and crisp, I also have noticed that my tinnitus has reduced a little I would say by a quarter, I have also noticed that when I swallow my ears are not constantly popping, before they were constantly trying to equalise even without any altitude changes, the feeling of fullness in my left ear has subsided also, it feels and sounds like I maybe am in remission:confused:

However many tinnitus sufferers experience this and can be short lived!

I am having a good day, let's see how long this quietness lasts. I will keep you posted. Any questions I will be happy to answer.:)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Day 13 of H.B.O.T.

I have attended it today with the hope of some more reduction in the tinnitus. Today it has remained the same no increase or decrease o_O

I have decided to keep going for the full 20 sessions, based on yesterday's positive result.

Fingers crossed it gets better, or should I say quieter :)

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Day 14 of H.B.O.T.

I was in there 10 minutes only today, some chap jumped up and stopped the dive :eek: I couldn't believe it, his ear was hurting so the whole dive was aborted :(

• Like Like x 1
    11. Dykey Phillips

Dykey Phillips Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/12
      Hey Joe,
      I am new with "T"....have had it for 6 weeks. I have a H.B.O.T place near me. It is VERY expensive about $150.00 US dollars each session. Did you have any luck with the treatment? I am considering it if you did.
      Thanks,
      Dykey Phillips

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hi Dykey

How did your tinnitus start? And was it due to noise exposure?

H.B.O.T works best if treatment is started as early as possible, I was 4 months into my tinnitus when I did this, yes I can say it has lowered it by 25 percent.

13. Dykey Phillips

Dykey Phillips Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/12
      Mine started with noise exposure from banging on a pipe with a hammer..trying to fix my kids trampoline. Have some high frequency loss. Did this 6 weeks ago.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Ok, so when you stopped banging, it came on instantly?

1 What could you hear at first?
      2 What are you hearing now, is there any difference?
      3 Are you feeling fullness in your ears?

15. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Hi, I'm interested in this treatment and they have it in my country but it is expensive. I have tinnitus just over 5 weeks. I got it from a head injury even though my head injury did not seem bad at all. My hearing is fine after doing an audiometry so Im wondering is this treatment any good for me or is it more suited to people who have suffered noise induced tinnitus. I have the tonal type of tinnitus in both ears but primarily in left one. Ive been told it can go after couple of months but in case it doesnt should I do this treatment while I'm still in early stages....
      Any help much appreciated.
      Thanks.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Hi Tweak, I do advise going through with this treatment as the earlier you do it the more chance you have of success, and yes it can help with head injury, its even helping people with autism.

17. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Hi Joe,
      Thanks for replying. Just to clarify, I had no head injuries after the fall, I didn't suffer concussion or dizziness etc. The only thing I got was the tinnitus the next day so I would only be going for the hyberbaric treatment to treat this. My hearing is above average and the audiologist seemed to think inner-ear was fine from the audiometry. All I can find searching on the web on this treatment is that its good for tinnitus caused by noise/acoustic trauma etc. I cant find anything saying its good for other types of tinnitus, I think mine is more related to brain or nerve rather than ear.
      Thanks,
      Sean

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Was it your forehead that took the impact when you fell?

19. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      No more like back of my head near top, slightly right of centre. Strangely the tinnitus is predominantly left ear.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      It always tend to be the left, Mines the left also, Your right the treatment is mainly indicated for Noise trauma, but I personally would try a few sessions and see if it helps.

21. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      After how many sessions and how much days/weeks did you notice any improvement? Do you have it in right ear also?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes I have it in the right ear also, I did about 13 sessions, but it was quite cheap, and I was desperate, It calmed a bit after the 12 session, I can honestly say it has reduced my Tinnitus by 25percent

23. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      That's a good reduction. Its expensive here, the treatment centre reckons ten sessions. How bad were you before treatment? Mine is usually fine at work etc, its just going to bed I have music on and then its usually worst in morning. Although woke up a few times recently and could not hear it in right ear but came back then after a minute. Dunno if that's a good sign! I was told originally there was a good chance it would just go in first 2 months so still possible.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes, Tinnitus can go as quick as it comes, alot of cases in younger people it has completely gone, but some times It can stay forever, and with no cure it makes it difficult,

25. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Yeah am fairly young and in good health and shape so fingers crossed. Cheers

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Goodluck

27. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    28. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow another great find Calin you're brilliant!!

So it seems ozone ear insufflation might help tinnitus. I wonder where you can go to try that?

29. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      • Like Like x 1
    30. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011