Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by joe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
    2. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yes.... but the FDA doesn't want you to be treated using the method....

http://www.naturalnews.com/z028958_ozone_generators_FDA.html

FDA declares war on ozone generators; seizes inventory
      by David Gutierrez, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Declaring ozone generators an unapproved and untested medical device, the FDA seized the inventory of a California manufacturer on January 29.

"The seized devices are potentially harmful to public health," said the agency's acting associate commissioner for regulatory affairs, Michael Chappell. "The agency will take action to protect the public from FDA-regulated products that are in violation of the law."

According to an FDA press release, Auburn, Calif. manufacturer Applied Ozone Systems has promoted its devices for the treatment of a variety of health conditions including cancer, AIDS, herpes and hepatitis. The use of ozone machines as medical devices has not received FDA approval, however, making it illegal for the company to market them for those uses.

"The FDA advises health care professionals and consumers to discontinue use of these devices," the FDA said.

The battle over the ozone generators began in October 2009, when the FDA applied for and received a warrant to inspect the Applied Ozone Systems factory, after the company's owner allegedly refused inspectors entry without one. Upon inspecting the facility, the FDA concluded that good manufacturing practices were not being used, and confirmed that they were being marketed without FDA approval. The agency sent a letter to the company on Dec. 21, asking it to voluntarily recall the products from the market. According to the FDA, Applied Ozone Systems never responded to this request.

The raid was carried out by U.S. Marshals on behalf of the FDA, in conjunction with the California Department of Public Health, Food and Drug Branch. Marshals seized 77 ozone generators valued at a total of $75,900.

Ozone is classified as a respiratory pollutant, and due to its biocidal properties is also used as a disinfectant. The FDA claims that there is no evidence that ozone can be effective as a medical treatment, and expressed concern that patients undergoing ozone therapy might stop using more proven treatments.

The agency also expressed concern over "infection from potential contamination of the applicator or catheter."

Sources for this story include: www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm199322.htm.

3. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Type in ozone therapy at You Tube and see if you can weed though it all.

4. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      You have an amazing talent for research you really do! Ozone is yet another good thing the FDA has taken away from us.I actually have an water ozonator at home but didn't know you it had actually been shown in a study to cure at least some peoples tinnitus.

5. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh wow! You already have an ozonator for your water. Cool!

You are my new best friend! haha

6. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Just to let you all know, I ended up doing ten HBO treatments. Before the HBO it was mostly my left ear but also sometimes my right ear that bothered me. Not sure if the HBO did much or anything really. My right ear does not really bother me any more although it's still there but definitely not noticing it like before so that's good. After 8-10 treatments last week, the volume went down signicantly in left ear during last weekend, but at the start of this week it sounded like its the same or almost same volume as before the HBO. So I cant really say if this treatment worked for me. I was also surfing last weekend. This is when I noticed the volume was most low, after I came back home couple of hours after coming out of water. So maybe what I thought was an improvement from HBO was just the volume going down for being in water and exercise etc. Also ive woke up more often recently and cant really hear it and when it has happened those gaps have got bigger every time so a good sign anyway I think.

7. Risto
      Asleep

Risto Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Hi! Tried HBO five times after exposed to loud noise in night club.Got treatment pretty fast ,about 10 days after accident.Did nothing for my T.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      First Finn on the forums I suppose. Or, there have been lurkers, but as far as I know you are the first (oh, the second after me) Finn to register.

Welcome.

I guess you went to the "Tinnitus klinikka", http://tinnitus.fi/tinnitus/index.htm ?

How much did it cost - five sessions?

Too bad it didn't help. :(

9. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      Hi everyone I have had tinnitus for 5 weeks now and it's really starting to get to me. Has anybody had any success with the HBO. I'm thinking of giving it ago if I can find somewhere to go to. If anyone in the UK can help me with this, would be much appreciated!

10. Risto
      Asleep

Risto Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Yep,that's the one I visited.Five sessions 800e.Although if I didn't get any benefit I would try it if I were new to this monster.There was one guy in the same chamber whose T disappeared after five treatment.He had also acute noise trauma. So I guess every case is different.

11. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      Do you know how long he had, had the tinnitus for?

12. Risto
      Asleep

Risto Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Something like two weeks.He got it from some kind of performance where they shot with cannon.Experts say here in Finland that you should start the HBO within 6 weeks from the accident.

13. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      I'm in to week five already so getting pretty desperate. If ANYONE knows somewhere in the UK I can go to get this done (Iv'e done a lot of searching and nothing promising yet). Please ket me know.

14. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Shelley - I'm in the UK too. Did you find anywhere that did HBO?

15. Shelley

Shelley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/12
      Click, I have sent you a message :)

16. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I tried my 'first' session of HBO yesterday. I had to fight panic a lot when I was in there because I'm very claustrophobic.

I've read Markku's post on the results of some tests and am frightened that it actually made some people worse!

I find the noise of the oxygen tube very disturbing and wonder if I'm in s different type of chamber to Joe who experienced silence. I actually wore earplugs and noise-protection headphones I found the noise so loud. It was even loud with that level of protection. Its because the oxygen is on demand I think ie. when you breathe in the oxygen opens up and delivers.

I'm probably too late for it to work but then the centre manager told me that a lady went in who had it for years and got so much relief that she can now sleep again.

Does anyone else have any reports on HBO?

17. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

I wondered where you went.. now I know.. into an oxygen chamber :)

Gosh you're brave Louise - I thought about this after Shelley mentioned it because there is one near here. But I was too scared. What with being claustrophobic and the fact that it may not work.. I chickened out.

18. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Its pretty horrendous if you are claustrophobic Click, I can tell you. I was 'fighting' to stay calm but I knew I had to do it. Dont know if I'll be able to do even one more, never mind another 19.

For anyone reading who is interested in this, you have to do 20 sessions and "go as deep as you can for as long as you can". This is what a HBO consultant told me. 33,000ft seems to be as deep as you can go and the usual duration is one hour at the chosen depth.

5 sessions is not enough.

19. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma caused by Acoustic Reflex Threshold Test
      Hello,

I am new on this forum. I am wrenched by having to decide whether to undergo a treatment of HBOT or not. I have an opportunity to start it tomorrow, free of charge. What's holding me back are fears: can my Tinnitus and Hyperacusis get worse? Can I experience other problems with my ears? (ruptured ear drum, ear fullness, etc)? Can I experience other negative side effects?(I've read about detox reactions, like yeast die off etc) Is it going to be very loud inside the chamber?
      I have read an awful lot on the internet about the pros and cons and the knowledge does not make the decision any easier. Please, any of you out there, who have tried HBOT, please report, the good and bad.

A bit about myself: I have had T since I was 11. It took me a year to get used to it after which I lived with T happily for 24 years. Then, an acoustic reflex test (loud tones sent in both my ears to test the muscle response) was performed on me a year and half ago and this particular test has made my T a lot worse and also caused me Hyperacusis. I have been having problems with T and H since that exam.
      Recently, in the last 3 weeks, I've been having new problems: first, T increased in my right ear, out of the blue .. and stayed like that for about a week. I also had a feeling of ear fullness. Now, the T in my ears shifts and changes ... it's hard to forget about it when it keeps changing in volume, pitch and quality. Also, ever since the exam, I experience frequently those sudden attacks of intense T which last a few seconds or a minute at the most.
      Anyway, back to HBOT: should I do it?

I CAN learn to live with this tinnitus but it will take me a lot of time, a lot of nerves, a lot of sleepless nights ... I'd much rather not have to sacrifice all this to T if I did not have to ... but I do not want to RISK getting worse.
      Thank you for your time and hope to receive your opinions.

20. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello, I have just posted this in the Support part of the forum as well. I shall post this hear too as I am in urgent need of your kind feedback ..
      I am wrenched by having to decide whether to undergo a treatment of HBOT or not. I have an opportunity to start it tomorrow, free of charge. What's holding me back are fears: can my Tinnitus and Hyperacusis get worse? Can I experience other problems with my ears? (ruptured ear drum, ear fullness, etc)? Can I experience other negative side effects?(I've read about detox reactions, like yeast die off etc) Is it going to be very loud inside the chamber?
      I have read an awful lot on the internet about the pros and cons and the knowledge does not make the decision any easier. Please, any of you out there, who have tried HBOT, please report, the good and bad.
      A bit about myself (i might be repeating myself): I have had T since I was 11. It took me a year to get used to it after which I lived with T happily for 24 years. Then, an acoustic reflex test (loud tones sent in both my ears to test the muscle response) was performed on me a year and half ago and this particular test has made my T a lot worse and also caused me Hyperacusis. I have been having problems with T and H since that exam.
      Recently, in the last 3 weeks, I've been having new problems: first, T increased in my right ear, out of the blue .. and stayed like that for about a week. I also had a feeling of fullness in that ear. Now, the T in my ears shifts and changes ... it's hard to forget about it when it keeps changing in volume, pitch and quality. Also, ever since the exam, I frequently experience those sudden attacks of intense T which last a few seconds or a minute at the most.
      Anyway, back to HBOT: should I do it?
      I CAN learn to live with this tinnitus but it will take me a lot of time, a lot of nerves, a lot of sleepless nights .. I've already spent a goo year and half up and down with this thing ... . I'd much rather not have to sacrifice all this to T if I did not have to ... but I do not want to RISK getting worse.
      Thank you for your time and hope to receive your opinions.
      K.

21. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I merged your threads. There's no point in having two duplicate threads discussing the same matter.

Welcome to TT :)

22. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Katarina,

I've done HBO recently (only 4 sessions so far). I didnt have any problems with my ears during compression/decompression as I can clear my ears ok. There were no ill effects on my ears or T from doing these sessions.

Its a popular treatment in Germany if you do it within thee first 3 months they say. I dont know why its supposed to be within the first 3 months, maybe there is still something to be healed by the oxygen then and afterwards its too late?

A guy on this forum (Joe) got a 25% reduction in T from HBO (I think around his 12th treatment).

It is important to do the sessions every day for the first 15 or 20.

The woman at the HBO centre I have been to told me that another lady went for HBO for tinnitus and it helped her a lot, she was able to sleep after the course of treatment, which she couldnt before due to the noise. This woman had T for a long time, longer than 3 months.

It is noisy inside the chamber when its compressing and decompressing. I wear earplugs and noise protection headphones over them.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, Louise, for your reply. I did not see it immediately, so apologies for replying so late. I have had quiet a few attempts with HBOT but I am not an easy patient. The first time went well, since I was alone in the chamber. The second time I went, with 2 other people, I experienced a panic attack, "forgot" to breathe and started suffocating. I had to "abort the dive". Then I had to discontinue the treatment because I had a minor cold and was advised not to do the treatment. Finally, I found a chamber for 1 in a different hospital, loved it the first time but today, the second time, again, I could not breathe. I guess I have a constant mini-cold and my nose is a little blocked. I do not think that will change any time soon. It is very cold where I am (in Prague).
      Also, I have experienced a sudden tiredness and a bit of headache after each and one of my HBOT attempts (except for yesterday's one).
      Has anyone else experienced this?
      And does anyone know what are the risks of having a small cold and going in the chamber?
      I should probably be asking the doctor but he is not very patient with me ..
      I would really want to give this thing a go, because after each treatment, the tinnitus did improve .. only to come back again a few weeks later. But I guess it takes more than just a session or two to see permanent effect.

24. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Katarina, if your T improved after each HBO session then get back in there!!

I have very bad claustrophobia and they have to let me go in on my won (very good of them) and I had to go to the doctor to get something to calm me to allow me to stay in there (Valium). That how much I wanted to try it.

Do you know that you have to do the sessions consecutively every day? For a minimum of 15 sessions. If its helping then if I were you I would gird my loins, do whatever it takes to get in there and do those 15 sessions.

25. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Louise!

yes, I too took a tranquillizer yesterday. I am not sure but it may well be that today's discomfort was caused by the fact that I did not take the pill today. I thought I'd be fine without it (that's how great the experience felt yesterday). I wonder if my difficulty with breathing was more to do with some latent anxiety ...
      I will go back tomorrow and pop the pill in to see.
      I am feeling run down now, however, and my temperature has gone up (from my usual 35.5 to 37 Celsius).Also, my tinnitus is slightly worse off but the first 2 out of the total 4 treatments I've had, I also had a worsening before the tinnitus got better. It became sort of "homogenized" and pleasant, rather than the disjointed tones, different in each ear, which I had had prior to commencing with the treatment.

How did your treatment go? Has it got better? Have you finished the course?

26. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi Katarina,

Love your avatar, he's my favourite artist.

your discomfort in breathing today will be down to anxiety. Even with the valium I still got problems breathing in there. The people at the centre have told me its anxiety, although Im sure it is harder to breathe at pressure?

Are you sure your T improvement is down to the HBO and not the pill? You know that some drugs (esp the Benzos) can reduce T volume?

They do say you need a minimum of 15 to feel any benefit.

I ended up doing 3 a week for about 3-4 weeks. This was due to how hard it is for me to get in there and that I started it after the 3 month window after T onset they give you for the best chance of success. I didnt get any difference in my T.

BUT, I am starting it again next week.

27. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Katrina, I meant to ask about the type of nosie you have. You said that you have disjointed tones? Do you have any tones that slide together like going from a high pitch to a lower one?

28. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As for the Avatar: Vincent van Gogh apparently too had a severe unilateral tinnitus. He tried to deal with it by chopping his ear off, poor guy. I never made that connection until I saw the old movie about Van Gogh with Kirk Douglas. The scene where he goes off rails is very suggestive and actually reminded me of moments of my own desperation. I put one and one together and then researched the subject a little and that's what I discovered .. he is one of "ours". :)

The improvement following HBOT was definitely down to the oxygen therapy as it lasted weeks, rather than hours. The pills I take for my anxiety are Clonazepam. Works like a wonder for me but only for few hours.

You ask about "my noises". Well, before the trauma a year and half ago, I had a "head tinnitus". Uniform, inside my head rather than my ears, and actually easy to get used to (compared to the one I have now). Since the trauma, my tinnitus keeps changing. At the moment, I have a hissing sound in my left ear and a single, low, fridge-like-hum in my right ear. It's not so much the noises (tones and intensities) themselves that bother me as much as the fact that they are different in each ear. That gives me an odd feeling of unbalance.

29. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I can understand that. What I hate with mine is the movement in it. Up and down noises and searing in and then whipping out. I find it very hard to ignore the movement.

I am a big Vincent fan (have read the book of his letters to his brother even) and I didnt know he had T.

I have also taken Clonazepam and it works well for me. Its the addiction thing with it though. I save it for when I'm desperate.

30. Katarina
      Scared

Katarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just wondering: why are you doing the HBOT again if the 1st course did not help you? Or did it help you with things other than T?